Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty TV

Options
  • 15-09-2016 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all. Quick query. I got a tv through Harvey Normans on Flexirent in October 14. The contract is up this November (2 payments left). But I have a problem. There seems to be some sort of condensation building up between the screen and lcd. Happening from the corners and going into the middle, nothing massive, but noticeable mostly in very bright pictures, you can see the shadow creeping from the origins. It's grand 99% of the time, but i'm a gamer, so I see it quite a lot (games loves doing white fade outs/ins).

I've contacted Flexirent, not their problem, they only cover for accidental damage or loss/theft. Harvey Normans said nothing to do with them as it's over the 12 month manufacturer warranty.

Now, I know some of my rights, but surely a fault on a tv that's less than 2 years old should be covered? It's a 49" 4K tv, so was about €1350 at the time. The person who sold it to me was surprised to see that I didn't have the extended warranty as he normally pushes it. I don't recall being offered it (I more than likely would have taken it). Regardless, should this not be something covered by LG? The tv hasn't moved since I bought it, and I had another non-4k tv there for 5 years before it and didn't encounter the same issue, so not my house.

And I say condensation, but it's there constant, and looks like it, but may not be it. Is there anything I can do? 12 months is surely not sufficient for a product that is supposed to last years? Again, I wouldn't have an issue if it was something I done, but there's nothing I could do to cause this issue!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭mittimitti

24 month eu warranty on electrical and up to 6 years on sale of goods act in Ireland

Call HN head office tell them you give them a week to fix it or you go straight to small claims court you will get sorted
    take no sh*t

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

mittimitti wrote: »
    24 month eu warranty on electrical

No, there isn't.

up to 6 years on sale of goods act in Ireland

Far more relevant.

Letter to Harvey Norman's head office would be my next step.

L1011 wrote: »
    No, there isn't.

Far more relevant.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

Letters are slow

Call HN head office and follow up with an email

you have minimum 2 year warranty under eu

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

No, there isn't.

Far more relevant.

I love the quality of advice on boards people that know everything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I love the quality of advice on boards people that know everything

The 2 year E.U. directive was never adopted in Ireland as the Irish Sale of Goods Act offers more protection.

theteal wrote: »
    The 2 year E.U. directive was never adopted in Ireland as the Irish Sale of Goods Act offers more protection.

We get covered by the 2 year as we are part of the eu

And we also have our own sale of goods act

We get covered by the 2 year as we are part of the eu

And we also have our own sale of goods act

No - we aren't, as the directive was never implemented here.

You can throw the "know nothing" insults around here but you are wrong here. Linking to a website does not implement the directive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Letters are slow

Call HN head office and follow up with an email

you have minimum 2 year warranty under eu

That is not enacted here and is not part of Irish consumer law. Our own Statutes give great protection.

Anyway OP, under the Sale of Goods Act the undamaged item must last a reasonable amount of time. I would agree that an expensive telly should last an awful lot longer than the <2 years you've had it (my Samsung is 7 now, I'd expect a few more years but wouldn't really complain if it died tomorrow).

Forget about this mentioned 12 month warranty - it's merely a marketing tool which has little/no significance in Ireland.

By all means, contact HN again by phone but in my experience a registered letter to head office has a little more punch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

ignore everything so far in this thread (except the above post, its sound. wasn't there when i started)

1- nothing to do with flexrent. Your issue is with HM. (I'd contact the manufacturer. They're not legally bound to help you but they might and it could be faster)

2- 12month warrenty doesn't matter, 24 month EU cover doesn't matter. There is NO 6 year protection.
    Theres no set time, its different in different circumstances. A product must last "A reasonable" amount of time. 2 years for a €1350 tv is not reasonable.

HM are required by law to repair your tv at no cost to you , is a reasonable time.

The way out for HM is to claim the fault was caused by misuse (eg you hung the tv on the bathroom wall). But not with normal use , normal wear and tear.

Worst case scenario you go to small claims court but its VERY unlikely to go this far.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@mittimitti - if you have an issue with bother people's posts, then please use the Report Post to alert a moderator. Do not make comments on thread, especially if they offer no advice to the OP

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Anyway OP, under the Sale of Goods Act the undamaged item must last a reasonable amount of time.

I've tried arguing this with HN and Currys/PCworld before, they really dig their heels in even though the store managers are likely well aware they're in the wrong. Both occasions were small items so I left it and give any business I can to Amazon.

Really we need a "book of quantum for goods" to stipulate lifespans for classes of goods (Phones 2yrs, laptops 4yrs, fridges 8yrs etc) based on MTTF rates reported by the the OEMs. Save this "whats reasonable" bull**** every single time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

Actually this may very well have quite a bit to do with flexirent. I never studied up on the Irish equivalent of the Consumer Credit Act, but in England and Wales (and I believe Scotland too) when you buy on credit your contract of sale is with the credit company.

I welcome pointers to the Irish position.

I spent a good three paragraphs on this EU warranty malarkey the other day. This two year warranty is the misinformation that just won't die.

ED E wrote: »
    I've tried arguing this with HN and Currys/PCworld before, they really dig their heels in even though the store managers are likely well aware they're in the wrong. Both occasions were small items so I left it and give any business I can to Amazon.

Really we need a "book of quantum for goods" to stipulate lifespans for classes of goods (Phones 2yrs, laptops 4yrs, fridges 8yrs etc) based on MTTF rates reported by the the OEMs. Save this "whats reasonable" bull**** every single time.

The lad who empties the bins in PC World likely has more discretion than the store manager. Given your wide range of technical expertise ED E I'm surprised you ended up in the stores belonging to that shower in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Another thing to consider is you don't own the tv at the end of the rental. They may keep taking your direct debit until you call them. Also the purchase instalment is not agreed in advance, so they can pick a number out if the air.
    They took 6 or 7 months off me past the end of the contract then made out I could use the money I overpaid to buy it from them.
    Told them to take a hike, asked for recordings if all conversations I had had with them, and did a freedom of information request. I also quoted some distance selling law I made up that they were breaching.
    Got put on hold for a long time and eventually told I would get a refund (I did) and could have the tv.

My understanding is they own the tv as you're renting it - and should replace it if it's faulty.

The lad who empties the bins in PC World likely has more discretion than the store manager. Given your wide range of technical expertise ED E I'm surprised you ended up in the stores belonging to that shower in the first place.

Emergencies and that they can occasionally be cheap are reasons I've bought there. Would avoid otherwise. Hard to find a 16 port switch or server PSU in Navan elsewhere.

Emergencies and that they can occasionally be cheap are reasons I've bought there. Would avoid otherwise. Hard to find a 16 port switch or server PSU in Navan elsewhere.

Why has anyone in Navan any need for such exotics :pac:

Why has anyone in Navan any need for such exotics :pac:

Local businesses that were paying me to get it fixed quick

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Well at least it wasnt Maplin! *shudders*

Nah, haven't quite got to the point of ordering kettles and Toasters on Amazon though I probably should have. Poor posty must quietly hate my guts enough as it is with regular 20kg boxes coming in from NL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Cheers for all the advice. I read up on the terms, and Flexirent are the owners of the equipment, and confirmed by the man in HN by saying that Flexirent buy it off them. I'll ring Flexirent again tomorrow and state the facts above, re: expected to last a reasonable time. See where i'll get with that. I'll keep this updated.

Ok, so rang FR today, and spoke to a female who first was adamant that under their terms, I am liable for any damage or defect outside of accidental damage or theft. I stated their obligations under the SoGaSoS Act, specifically Section 28 (3) as to the quality of the goods being fit for purpose, and I was again told that it's my issue, not theirs, or to contact the manufacturer (after she confirmed that they own the equipment).

So I looked for a manager, and another lad came on. And he basically stated the exact same, that they "have gone through this many times before and we are confident in our terms and rights", and that they are fully "within the Irish Consumer Law". So I got contact details for their head office, address and email, and I was advised to email and it would be quicker, so I banged them off an email explaining the situation, and stated that I am giving them 10 days notice to repair or replace, or I would have no option but to go to the small claims court. So let's see how that pans out!

Tell me, does Consumer Law supersede terms and conditions? Like, their terms say i'm liable, but it's a defect beyond my control, so would the terms screw me?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Ok, so rang FR today, and spoke to a female who first was adamant that under their terms, I am liable for any damage or defect outside of accidental damage or theft. I stated their obligations under the SoGaSoS Act, specifically Section 28 (3) as to the quality of the goods being fit for purpose, and I was again told that it's my issue, not theirs, or to contact the manufacturer (after she confirmed that they own the equipment).

So I looked for a manager, and another lad came on. And he basically stated the exact same, that they "have gone through this many times before and we are confident in our terms and rights", and that they are fully "within the Irish Consumer Law". So I got contact details for their head office, address and email, and I was advised to email and it would be quicker, so I banged them off an email explaining the situation, and stated that I am giving them 10 days notice to repair or replace, or I would have no option but to go to the small claims court. So let's see how that pans out!

Tell me, does Consumer Law supersede terms and conditions? Like, their terms say i'm liable, but it's a defect beyond my control, so would the terms screw me?

Absolutely not. Their terms and conditions can fcuk right off

Legislation trumps t&cs

Can you take the flexirent crowd to the SCC?
    I mean, normally the contract of sale is between the seller and the purchaser. If flexirent own the device, would it not be up to them to chase HN? Where does that leave the OP? Sorry for not being of much help but the scenario has become slightly more awkward than originally thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,227 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Is this some sort of hire purchase scheme? If you are renting the TV and it is faulty they are liable, they sound like a bunch of chancers and I am surprised that HN enter into an arrangement with them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭893bet

If it was covered for accidental damages.....

Can you take the flexirent crowd to the SCC?
    I mean, normally the contract of sale is between the seller and the purchaser. If flexirent own the device, would it not be up to them to chase HN? Where does that leave the OP? Sorry for not being of much help but the scenario has become slightly more awkward than originally thought.

It's only as complicated as HN buy washing machines off a wholesaler, who buys them off Beko or whoever. In this case it's just Flexirent is the seller.

Sorry that's not meant to sound rude, I'm trying to be more concise. :)

No word today. I also contacted the CCPC (Competition and Consumer Protection Commission) and explained the story, and they were initially telling me that HN are responsible, but when I clarified that FR owned the product, I was told i'd get a call back but nothing yet either. As the email said, I gave them 10 days, so we'll see how this week goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

who do you have a receipt for the product from? HN or FR?

Advertisement