Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing account

Options
  • 15-09-2016 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi, due to different reasons I would like to close both my current and saving account with bank of ireland
    I can go to the branch as both myself and my wife are busy
    Could you please tell me the procedure to do it over post or the phone?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

romuse wrote: »
    Hi, due to different reasons I would like to close both my current and saving account with bank of ireland
    I can go to the branch as both myself and my wife are busy
    Could you please tell me the procedure to do it over post or the phone?
    Thanks
    Hi romuse, 

Thank you for contacting us on Boards. 

We're very sorry to hear that you wish to close your accounts with us and we hope you reconsider. 

If you wish to close your accounts and are unable to call into your branch in person, you can request this in writing by posting a letter to your account holding branch. Please include both of your names, signatures, account details and contact number should your branch need to contact you in relation to this. You can find the address details for your branch here.

If you will have remaining funds left in your account over €5, please advise how you wish to transfer these funds: by bank draft- please advise who to make out the draft to OR by bank transfer - please provide the account name, and BIC and IBAN details of the account you wish to transfer the funds to. 

Just to add, if your Savings account is an online account, and is added to view on your 365 Online profile, you can request to close the account and withdraw the funds through 365 Online. Please select the "Withdraw funds" button next to the Account name on the 365 Home Page. This will then give you the option to close the account upon transfer of the funds. This transfer will be made to your Current account and will take the required notice period. For more information on the notice period for your Savings account, please see here.

I hope this helps and please let us know if we can help with any other query.

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 35 romuse

Thanks Sarah for getting back to me,
    Just a couple of questions
    1- when you say : "you can request this in writing"
    > can I print and sign?
    2- for the saving account the options that you mentioned in banking 365 to [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]withdraw isn't displayed...so have no way to close[/font]
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]thanks[/font]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Evie

romuse wrote: »
    Thanks Sarah for getting back to me,
    Just a couple of questions
    1- when you say : "you can request this in writing"
    > can I print and sign?
    2- for the saving account the options that you mentioned in banking 365 to [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]withdraw isn't displayed...so have no way to close[/font]
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]thanks[/font]
    Good Morning,

To clarify, yes you can print a letter and then sign the bottom. If this 'Withdraw Funds' option is not displayed, your account may be a regular deposit account.If so, you can include the account number of this Savings account in your letter and send this to the branch. As these deposit accounts are opened in branch, they can be closed through the branch also. 

Thanks, 
    Evie 

Advertisement