Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compressed Air ?

Options
  • 15-09-2016 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭

Just becoming aware of the drone from my PC Tower. I ran the hoover over the front grill today, for the first time ever. Got me thinking about compressed air.

But, those cans cost about a tenner a piece, don't they? And most cans of compressed stuff are notoriously fickle .....

I dug a bit further and was somewhat amazed to come up with This! :eek: A ton, delivered? And, surely, that baby would outlast many PC's?

I'm tempted, frankly. I live in a dusty environment.

Anyone else have a view, please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

If you know a friendly garage, take your computer there and use their compressor. Just make sure to have some sort of gauze over the nozzle is case there's any water in the lines. Oh, and do it as far away from the compressor in case of magnetic fields......or take the hdd out first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

FanadMan wrote: »
    If you know a friendly garage, take your computer there and use their compressor. Just make sure to have some sort of gauze over the nozzle is case there's any water in the lines. Oh, and do it as far away from the compressor in case of magnetic fields......or take the hdd out first.

If it's a pc just take off the side panel and use the narrow hoover attachment

Edit : meant to quote op

mordeith wrote: »
    If it's a pc just take off the side panel and use the narrow hoover attachment

Edit : meant to quote op

Isn't hoover supposed to be a bit dodgy due to static buildup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

All bad ideas, although I've honestly done them myself, you just need to be aware of the risks. Compressors have moisture build up, be sure and drain the bleed screw first so your not blowing a light mist. Hoovers create static which could also break things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

• Advertisement

All bad ideas, although I've honestly done them myself, you just need to be aware of the risks. Compressors have moisture build up, be sure and drain the bleed screw first so your not blowing a light mist. Hoovers create static which could also break things.

That's why I always put a few layers of muslin over the nozzle when using the compressor idea ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I recently got a airbed pump, about €30. Does a decent air flow (400l/min I think) but the airbed adapter is about an inch wide so the exit velocity isn't fantastic. I 3d printed an adapter which takes down the diameter to about 8mm and then protrudes like a straw for about 9cm. Its decent enough to blow dust out of the case.

It was also my first 3d printed thing, did it more out of curiosity then anything else. Sent the design to a website, print cost was about €6

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

360;291;001a84d1ed0ba42e69dd68eece9ec48785bc7d0c.gif

One of these lads, has a water trap. Works a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,679 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Lidl have one on special at the moment...

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?id=889

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Lidl have one on special at the moment...

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?id=889

A little large just for blowing out computers :D

Although exactly what I do with a similar model.

You also need some sort of blower gun which is also available with that Lidl special for €9.99 (Pneumatic Tool Set).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I eventually went for this a good few years ago and am very impressed with it. Everyone reckoned I was mad for paying circa 120 for it at the time, but it turned out to be one of the best buys ever and is still going strong. It has got savage use too.

Metro DataVac ED500 500-Watt 0.75-HP Electric Duster 220-240V

metro-vacuum-ed500-datavac-electric-duster1.jpg

ed01_0.jpg

Video Introduction:

Video Review:

Video: Actual Usage

Pros:

Exceptionally good at what it does.

Really powerful.

Easy to use.

No more pesky cans of expensive air that lose power as you use them.

Cons:

Expensive (but that can (pun intended) be offset if you buy lots of canned air.

Loud, as loud as a home vacuum cleaner.

220-240v model available from Amazon UK:

110-120v available from Amazon.com and much cheaper too if your supply is 110v

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Stigura

Have at it, gentlemen.

my3cents wrote: »
    A little large just for blowing out computers :D

Although exactly what I do with a similar model.

You also need some sort of blower gun which is also available with that Lidl special for €9.99 (Pneumatic Tool Set).

Wouldn't this.....also from Lidl do the job?

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=45141

Would love to get it myself but just don't have the cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

FanadMan wrote: »
    Wouldn't this.....also from Lidl do the job?

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=45141

Would love to get it myself but just don't have the cash.

I know someone who uses a previous version of the Lidl spray paint compressor for air dusting computers and it works fine.

I might even get that one for my son then I can reclaim my own compressor that he is using for spray painting.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

Dealz sometimes have small cans for a euro.

Advertisement