Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tachograph card and learner permit

• 15-09-2016 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

H Folks!

Does anyone know if I can apply for a tacho card while on a C learner permit?

I wanted to drive with a friend of mine as a learning experience(he does a Limerick - Dublin route) but I don't know if I should be driving on his tacho card or do I need to get my own?

Does he need to put in a tachograph card at all when I'm driving or not?

I know I can't drive on the motorway but I can't find anything about working hours.

Bit baffled by the info on RSA.ie....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

RSA website says you need to have a valid truck or bus licence to be able to apply for tacho card.
    So I'd say - no - you won't be able to get one.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Professional-Drivers/Tachograph-cards/Driver-card/Apply-for-a-driver-card-/
    To be eligible to apply, you must:

Have a valid Irish or EU driving licence with a bus or truck category

Have not had a digital tachograph driver card before in any other country
    Be a resident of Ireland with a PPS number

You obviously also can't drive using your friend's tacho card.

So in general, looks like you can't be doing what you were planning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

I would doubt you would have any luck trying to get insured on a learner permit either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

No. You can't drive a vehicle that's been used for hire & reward and you most certainly can't use your mates tacho. A tacho card is personal to the driver it's issued for. If he let's you drive and his card is in he's messing around with his hours and if you drive with out the card it's been recorded on the tacho and an rsa inspector is going to love that and create a whole heap of **** for your mate and employer. If your planning on driving for a living i would advise you read up on tachograph regs. Also if your mates driving a trick belonging to his employer or his own business you may not even be insured to be in the cab as a passenger never mind drive it.

Advertisement