Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stag City

• 15-09-2016 6:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/215852/new-tourism-boss-says-limerick-should-go-after-stag-and-hen-market.html

I have to say I am a little disappointed that a Failte Ireland Boss should suggest we chase the "Stag and Hen" market, the market that seemingly no one else wants...but then this is the Government body who recommends we build an €18million bridge nobody needs to attract tourists....

He is right about one thing....he does not know what Limerick has to offer!!

I'd be interested in what other have to say about this....I don't believe for a second we could ever succeed in attracting this market even if we wanted to... I know there are a good few stags/hens in town most weekends, but I don't ever see us competing with the volume the likes of Killarney/Kilkenny/Galway get...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Limerick is a great spot for stags and hens with lots to do during the day, nice restaurants and great bars but I don't think it's a market we need to be chasing.

I'd prefer to see us go down the road of attracting more good concerts in King John's Castle, The Big Top and Thomond Park. A little more ambition than just stags and hens.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

A hostel of some sort in the city centre would be essential to really capitalise on that market, in my opinion. I know our hotel prices are very good, but cheaper beds would be a factor for a lot of groups.

An File wrote: »
    A hostel of some sort in the city centre would be essential to really capitalise on that market, in my opinion. I know our hotel prices are very good, but cheaper beds would be a factor for a lot of groups.

The railway hotel would be an ideal location

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Garry123

Tonight is Culture Night with 99 events listed for the city and county. We have so much to offer, stags and hens are not what we are about or what we should be attracting. They represent, to me, the race to the bottom and could well displace a more desirable, less damaging and more frequent market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Limerick has so much to offer..as the poster above just mentioned 99 free culture events across the county tonight.

I cant believe "stags and hens" are even on the radar for Boird Failte.
    These people are paid a salary to promote tourism and this is all they can come up with!!...Its beyond belief.

Who actually wants busloads of stags/hens with plastic mickeys and blow up sheep parading O'Connell street FRI/SAT/SUN...and then vomiting in taxis/hotels till they drag their pasty bodies home again come Sunday eve.
    Im sure the publicans would be happy with the extra business but i thought we were gone past that as a nation.

What we need are more civilized events/places open late in the evening to bring footfall back into the city in the evenings.
    How about the council started lowering rates to cafe/bistro owners brave enough to open late...more would follow.

Marty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement