Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Pointable fines' ?

• 15-09-2016 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi, I was driving behind a guards van about an hour ago and he decides to stop in the middle of the road and walks up to me and asks do I know why he stopped me, and I said no and he started laughing and said give me the licence etc etc. So I gave it and he asked how many penalty points I have, I said 0 and he laughed again and said he doesn't know how cause 'I'm ****ing useless and haven't a ****ing clue' he then told me I'm getting 2 fines for not having a fully qualified driver with me, and gave me 2 fines but mentioned nothing about penalty points, said they're pointable so what does that mean and why was this guard such a prick, using foul language for no reason.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Maybe sick to death of people breaking the rules? You were driving by yourself presumably on a provisional, you deserve to be fined.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mccabe96

RossieMan wrote: »
    Maybe sick to death of people breaking the rules? You were driving by yourself presumably on a provisional, you deserve to be fined.

Was waiting on an idiot like you to comment . If you don't have the answer to my question then leave :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If you didn't notice what you done wrong maybe you have just been saved from causing a death or injuring someone or yourself.

Care to explain what you did do apart from driving unaccompanied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

If he was in front of you, he could only see your headlights so you obviously did something that he could only see in side mirrors to cause him to stop you in the middle of the road.

You broke the rules, got caught, suck it up!!

If you didn't notice what you done wrong maybe you have just been saved from causing a death or injuring someone or yourself.

Care to explain what you did do apart from driving unaccompanied.

I went through the lights while they were on Amber and they didn't even turn red till after I passed but he thought I passed through a red and I thought the opposite so it's both our words against each other but obviously he'll have the power here.

• Advertisement

If he was in front of you, he could only see your headlights so you obviously did something that he could only see in side mirrors to cause him to stop you in the middle of the road.

You broke the rules, got caught, suck it up!!
    Again. Another idiot lol if you don't have the answer to what my question was, then don't comment stupid stuff on my thread. Goodbye

Closing in 3 2 1

Closing in 3 2 1

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Only have your word for the language used but from my reading of your post A you are being fined for having no qualified driver with you B running a red light. Oh and to the best of my language both carry 2 points. So you now have a minimum of 4 points waiting to be applied to your licence. Obey the rules of the road in future and you'll be grand.

Mccabe96 wrote: »
    I went through the lights while they were on Amber and they didn't even turn red till after I passed but he thought I passed through a red and I thought the opposite so it's both our words against each other but obviously he'll have the power here.

Do you know what an amber light means?
    Maybe you should look it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Thread is now on amber alert.

Not your ornery onager

bubblypop wrote: »
    Do you know what an amber light means?
    Maybe you should look it up

As the officer told me , an amber means 'prepare to stop' which I drove through the lights before the amber even came on.

nhunter100 wrote: »
    Only have your word for the language used but from my reading of your post A you are being fined for having no qualified driver with you B running a red light.

And do these carry penalty points? He didn't state if I was getting any, just asked me did I have any and when I told him I had 0 he just laughed and started writing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

you seem to think amber=go, this may be what annoyed him.

I went through the lights while they were on Amber.

So they were on amber then?

What?

If your attitude is what you write like there is never going to be a good outcome.

Is there any traffic cams around?

You will only get points for one offence and will be for whichever holds most.

If you believe you were right fight it but it will cost a Solicitor to work on your behalf and judge may side with cop and apply extra cost/fine and points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Stoogie

Was waiting on an idiot like you to comment . If you don't have the answer to my question then leave :-)

LOL why was he using bad language?
    People use bad language all the time and Guards are people.You could report him to the swear jar ombudsman I suppose.

ceegee wrote: »
    you seem to think amber=go, this may be what annoyed him.

I was passed the lights before they even turned Amber so I had no chance to stop as if I did I'd be stopped in the middle of the junction blocking traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

Yes you've been given at least 2 points for the FCN that's now available to guards for Learner drivers driving unaccompanied.

The guard was probably being a bit of a prick, sometime they are - most of the time they have reason to be. I find if you take the right attitude back the amount of leeway you're given is huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

19yo boyo runs a light behind a Garda van while driving on Ls unaccompanied. Feels hard done by.

Couldnt make it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

As the officer told me , an amber means 'prepare to stop' which I drove through the lights before the amber even came on.

no, amber means stop unless it's unsafe to do so. It scares me that someone could go driving on their own without understanding how f**king traffic lights work.

bubblypop wrote: »
    So they were on amber then?

They turned Amber when I drove past the first set of lights and there was Noway I could've stopped as if I stopped I'd be blocking the whole road.

no, amber means stop unless it's unsafe to do so. It scares me that someone could go driving on their own without understanding how f**king traffic lights work.

I stated what the officer told me, I drove past the set of lights before Amber turned on mug.

Yes you've been given at least 2 points for the FCN that's now available to guards for Learner drivers driving unaccompanied.

The guard was probably being a bit of a prick, sometime they are - most of the time they have reason to be. I find if you take the right attitude back the amount of leeway you're given is huge.
    I was nice to him but he used language from the minute he came up to me until the minute he left, as he was taking my registration he turned around and said '****ing idiot' ... 😂What a cu^t

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Sell car. Buy comfy shoes. Start walking.

Come on now. There was a lad in here a few months back who asserted he used to teach the rules of the road and much discussion was had on amber lights. Ask anything about roundabouts and there's usually at least one red card and a closed account.

No need to get on a high horse about the little stuff when there's so much else here for the target of the lulz. We're never going to find out what the OP did as I suspect even he doesn't know. I have a funny feeling, given how the guard pulled him, he was probably tailgating but who knows... not even the OP :pac:

Unaccompanied driver 2 points, running a red light to the best of my knowledge 2 points. You can always seek a court date to contest however more than likely you will end up with double the points and a larger fine, your choice. The Guards normally don't bother arguing the toss at the roadside about points.Thats what the post is for.

Come on now. There was a lad in here a few months back who asserted he used to teach the rules of the road and much discussion was had on amber lights. Ask anything about roundabouts and there's usually at least one red card and a closed account.

No need to get on a high horse about the little stuff when there's so much else here for the target of the lulz. We're never going to find out what the OP did as I suspect even he doesn't know. I have a funny feeling, given how the guard pulled him, he was probably tailgating but who knows... not even the OP :pac:

I was told I was pulled for 'breaking a right light' and not having an fully qualified driver with me. Which one was true and the other isn't.

I was nice to him but he used language from the minute he came up to me until the minute he left, as he was taking my registration he turned around and said '****ing idiot' ... 😂What a cu^t

No excuse for it OP to be fair but the rule of thumb I use is until I've scraped up little bit of people kids and popped them in body bags I'll keep giving them the benefit of the doubt.

You've no idea if he's just come from an RTA where a Learner or someone in the same car as you, or someone who looks like you etc. etc. has just seriously hurt or killed someone. No need to be a dick about it I grant you and some of them are just twats but I refer you back to my rule of thumb.

Given the alternatives exercised by various other jurisdiction around the place. I'll take the 'cutting' wit of a cluchie on a power trip and being let on my way over the smile and politeness of a US cop and the night getting bum raped in the cells any day.

• Advertisement

Unaccompanied driver 2 points, running a red light to the best of my knowledge 2 points. You can always seek a court date to contest however more than likely you will end up with double the points and a larger fine, your choice.

Someone just posted on the thread saying I won't get points for both of them, ill only get points for one offence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

beertons wrote: »
    Sell car. Buy comfy shoes. Start walking.

Sell laptop too

I was told I was pulled for 'breaking a right light' and not having an fully qualified driver with me. Which one was true and the other isn't.

Ah my mistake apologies. Well the other thing to learn is the guard is always going to be believed. I'd guess at 4 points so don't drive unaccompanied again, get two more and see the comfy shoes comment above (depending on when you got the learner permit.)

BTW wanna know who's more of a prick than a jumped up guard? Pop along to your District Court and plead not guilty.

Someone just posted on the thread saying I won't get points for both of them, ill only get points for one offence?

Correct but if you bring to court more will be added.

I would also suggest lose the attitude on here and name calling as you will get banned

That was my understanding but I'll defer to others on that. Or is it just at court they'll only do you for one?

I would also suggest lose the attitude on here and name calling as you will get banned

The mods will make that guard sound like a saint :D

• Advertisement

So it's okay for people to joke about me then? I didn't ask people to comment stuff like that, I know I was in the wrong for driving unaccompanied but that still doesn't give these the right to comment dumb stuff.

Mccabe96 wrote:

I wouldn't ( no offense to who posted it) place a bet on it.

Ah my mistake apologies. Well the other thing to learn is the guard is always going to be believed. I'd guess at 4 points so don't drive unaccompanied again, get two more and see the comfy shoes comment above (depending on when you got the learner permit.)

BTW wanna know who's more of a prick than a jumped up guard? Pop along to your District Court and plead not guilty.

I've got the learner permit about 5 months now, and I agree with that but there's still no need for the guard to be a pri*k to me either, after he dealt with me he then went along and pulled another driver in up the road, he was alone in the van. Then I pulled into a parking spot up the road to make a call and he pulled up behind me and sat there for a few minutes then decided to just drive off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭Allinall

and why was this guard such a prick, using foul language for no reason.

I f**ing love the irony.

Mccabe96 wrote:
    I've got the learner permit about 5 months now, and I agree with that but there's still no need for the guard to be a pri*k to me either, after he dealt with me he then went along and pulled another driver in up the road, he was alone in the van. Then I pulled into a parking spot up the road to make a call and he pulled up behind me and sat there for a few minutes then decided to just drive off.

Again only your word that the Guard was being a pr***, but I assume since you have the learner permit 5 months the theory test should be fresh in your mind. Was there a question on it about driving unaccompanied? Even if there wasn't there has been an increase in advertising the fact that it's illegal to drive unaccompanied. You were in the wrong end of story whether the Guard has an attitude or not is irrelevant. Learn your lesson and move on.

• Advertisement

OP while I'll continue to monitor this thread of comedy gold, and thanks for that, I'd be very surprised if most of the posters didn't drive on their provisionals (as they were) or break red lights occasionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

looozzzhhh the ha-he-chude
    :pac::pac::pac:

OP while I'll continue to monitor this thread of comedy gold, and thanks for that, I'd be very surprised if most of the posters didn't drive on their provisionals (as they were) or break red lights occasionally.

More than likely they did, but they choose not to go on the Internet and rant about getting caught. :-)

More than likely they did, but they choose not to go on the Internet and rant about getting caught. :-)

Was legal when I did it (2nd provisional)

Same for a lot here I'd say

Hmm..
    1. You went through the lights while they were both green then they turned amber
    or
    2. You went through the lights "while they were amber"

Which is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If you only want responses you agree with maybe you should leave?

I'll hazzard a guess that most of us would have at least followed the basic strategy of... don't drive up a cops jacksie whilst breaking the law.. Indicate ta fe*k and avoid avoid avoid.

I was in the pub one night with a rather well know (in my circles) young junior barrister with a few pints on him. Cue some young bright thing recounting the story of getting pulled and now having to go to court. Her attitude, he felt, needed some adjustment and my God he let rip in his charming and to the point mockery.

Frankly I think the OP is getting off rather lightly.

This useless and undesired anecdote was brought to you by way of saying I take your point! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

No. What he told you was Amber means stop if safe to do so. I'm going to go ahead and presume you filtered that to mean what you think it should mean.

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    I'll hazzard a guess that most of us would have at least followed the basic strategy of... don't drive up a cops jacksie whilst breaking the law.. Indicate ta fe*k and avoid avoid avoid.

I ended up face to face with one on an junction driving to my first test. The resulting brown trousers did not improve my driving during said test!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement