Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Pointable fines' ?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Stoogie

Was legal when I did it (2nd provisional)

Sane for a lot here I'd say

i passed my test before i could afford a car 17
    no way my parents would give me a car when I wasn't legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Hmm..
    1. You went through the lights while they were both green then they turned amber
    or
    2. You went through the lights "while they were amber"

Which is it?

Perfectly consistent story to be fair, I'm not saying I believe it. But you can start through a junction on Green Green and the light on the far side of the junction can change to amber, the OP would have no reason to stop or to have considered stopping.

I once got pulled for doing 180 - now I know what the guard meant - he had to do 180 to catch up to me. I managed to bite my tongue and not say are you on drugs guard? I'm a fat man in a Fiat 500 driving into the wind - 180 me arse, but I've been around a bit longer than the OP!

To be fair though the only way the guard is going to know if the OP went through amber though is if he'd just gone through, I suspect an element of spin from the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Yeah, I admit right up front I drove alone on L plates. I also was using a full American license within its period of validity to drive in Ireland, just like I would if I was here on holiday in a rented car. I asked the village garda and he said, sure, if anyone stops you for driving alone on an L plate, show your American license and the letter from your Irish insurance company showing ten years no claims bonus and you'll be grand.

Part of the reason I have twenty years straight of clean driving record (out of thirty years driving experience) is because I know enough to shut up and fight the ticket in court, not on the side of the road with a jittery cop having a bad day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Speedwell wrote: »
    Yeah, I admit right up front I drove alone on L plates. I also was using a full American license within its period of validity to drive in Ireland, just like I would if I was here on holiday in a rented car. I asked the village garda and he said, sure, if anyone stops you for driving alone on an L plate, show your American license and the letter from your Irish insurance company showing ten years no claims bonus and you'll be grand.

Part of the reason I have twenty years straight of clean driving record (out of thirty years driving experience) is because I know enough to shut up and fight the ticket in court, not on the side of the road with a jittery cop having a bad day.

We don't have jittery cops here. We have grumpy guards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

The guard was in front of you. If the lights were green when you went through, then turned amber, how would the guard know this?

Sounds like they were amber when the guard was going through and you were up his hole. Why would you draw attention to yourself like this when you are driving unaccompanied?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

The guard was in front of you. If the lights were green when you went through, then turned amber, how would the guard know this?

Sounds like they were amber when the guard was going through and you were up his hole. Why would you draw attention to yourself like this when you are driving unaccompanied?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Harry Bosch.

If the Guard issues fines for both offences it will be 2 points and an 80 Euro fine for driving unaccompanied and then 3 points and 80 Euros for breaking the light. An amber light can be treated as running a red.He might show discretion when sending these in after the fact but i doubt it, time will tell. You might want to change you driving habits quick, if you get those points you could be banned fairly quick, i think the threshold is 7 for drivers with learner permits but it depends. You will need to wait until the postman arrives!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Closing in 3 2 1
    ...closed, and infractions issued for personal abuse.

OP - Please do not post in this forum again until you have read, are familiar with, and agree to abide by the forum Charter.

-Shield.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement