Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Game Club#3 The Legend of Dragoon

Options
  • 15-09-2016 9:13pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Right.... You voted for it so you better play it.

This weeks game club game is the infamous:

The Legend of Dragoon

fRfRdU2.jpg

What is it?: Awful

No, seriously what is it?: Sony's attempt to take a piece of the JRPG pie after FFVII finally gave the genre worldwide relevance as probably the most popular genre of the 32-bit era.

They did this by copying everything FFVII did without fully understanding what actually made that game great. In doing so they managed to churn out a RPG as bland, dull and incompetent as it's localisation.

Available on: PS1 (PS3, PSP and PS Vita through PSN)

Note: The game barely hits double digit frame rates (not an exaggeration) and the battle system relies on accurate button timing. If you want to try this game I'd highly recommend the NTSC version over the PAL version which runs at a significantly faster frame rate. The faster framerate means that button input isn't as laggy as the PAL version (it's still nearly a second late so take that into account if you keep missing the timing critical combo attacks!).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

I'm sorry man but I can't believe they did this to you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I can. Saying how much you hate the game before people get to vote in a poll featuring said game made the result inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I can. Saying how much you hate the game before people get to vote in a poll featuring said game made the result inevitable.

It was a warning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So has anyone actually tried this PoS this week?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

*searches for pics from Retr0 meme thread*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    So has anyone actually tried this PoS this week?

Tried it there on Wednesday. I had played a bit of it before but never got very far. You can see a phenomenal amount of poor imitations of FF7 at the time. Dialogue is hilarious. Battle system is no better than it was back in the day.

First RPG I've played in a little while so its a very easy delve into the genre, there's little challenge in any of the battles to be honest. Lots of clichés alright, but say what you will, it has a nice soundtrack :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

RedXIV wrote: »
    Tried it there on Wednesday. I had played a bit of it before but never got very far. You can see a phenomenal amount of poor imitations of FF7 at the time. Dialogue is hilarious. Battle system is no better than it was back in the day.

First RPG I've played in a little while so its a very easy delve into the genre, there's little challenge in any of the battles to be honest. Lots of clichés alright, but say what you will, it has a nice soundtrack :D

I remember it being really tough at times......you'd get feck all xp after a battle, I remember I was only level 35 when I reached the last boss :eek:

RedXIV wrote: »

I remember it being really tough at times......you'd get feck all xp after a battle, I remember I was only level 35 when I reached the last boss :eek:

There were only two tough battles for me.

The first is the very first battle against the knight. It serves as a tutorial for the addition system and if you can't hit additions you will die in it. I played it about 5 times dying each time. The problem was because of the atrocious lag I couldn't hit the additions at all. Once I figured out I had to hit the attack button a full second before I was supposed to it was easy.

The second is a boss fight near the end, some floating rock thing. It's not hard but it heals every round and raises its defence every round as well until it reaches dumb levels. Ended up a war of attrition, balancing attack with healing and it took a full 45 minutes of boredom to beat.

There's two optional bosses as well I think and they are silly hard. Since the battle system is so basic and gives no room for strategy there's no way to beat them unless you brute force levels which is dumb.

The soundtrack is unique... but I kind of hate it. There's only a few standout tracks, one of them being the intro theme.

Advertisement