Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you recommend?

Options
  • 15-09-2016 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

If I had 1600e to spend on a new bike what would you recommend? (The reason I say 'if' is that it is not approved yet)
    My cycling is made up of sportives, some shorter cycles during the week, longer cycles at the weekend, duathlons and some minor commuting. I currently have a Trek 1.2 and while I am really very happy with it I am hankering after something else. I'd be keeping the Trek as a winter bike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭cjonesy1

I'd say wait until it's approved before you start looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

cjonesy1 wrote: »

Boooo-urns

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

cjonesy1 wrote: »
    Ah here, leave it out! Always be looking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

If I had 1600e to spend on a new bike what would you recommend? (The reason I say 'if' is that it is not approved yet)
    My cycling is made up of sportives, some shorter cycles during the week, longer cycles at the weekend, duathlons and some minor commuting. I currently have a Trek 1.2 and while I am really very happy with it I am hankering after something else. I'd be keeping the Trek as a winter bike.

What about spending €200 on a bike fit first? On the recommendation of people here I went to former racer John Shortt in Bike Fit Studio; really good fit and advice. http://www.bikefitstudio.ie

You'll get expert advice on the best bike for your purposes and your body, plus advice on adjustment, stance, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Chuchote wrote: »
    What about spending €200 on a bike fit first? On the recommendation of people here I went to former racer John Shortt in Bike Fit Studio; really good fit and advice. http://www.bikefitstudio.ie

You'll get expert advice on the best bike for your purposes and your body, plus advice on adjustment, stance, etc.

But he already has a bike and hasn't stated that he's uncomfortable or doesn't know what type of bike to buy, he just would like opinions on specific bikes available within that budget? Why blow €200 on a bike fit which could be put towards buying an actual bike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

But he already has a bike and hasn't stated that he's uncomfortable or doesn't know what type of bike to buy, he just would like opinions on specific bikes available within that budget? Why blow €200 on a bike fit which could be put towards buying an actual bike.

I'm not particularly uncomfortable on my current bike, but it doesn't fit me, and I know I'll get a nicer cycle and better performance out of one that fits. If it ever actually turns up in the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Chuchote wrote: »

Ha ha, I remember you getting the advice to do just this. And now you are converted :-)

Blast from the past there. John Shortt was a good rider - strong as an ox!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

If this was a commute bike I'd say aluminium Giant Defy for the more upright position, which is handy in traffic.

I'd personally like a Giant TCR Advanced, which will most likely be my next bike, but its more of a fit / personal taste thing. If you are considering using a stages power meter, then don't go for a tiagra groupset, I've found you'll need 105 or above. Its a pity you've just missed the Giant sales, there were some lovely bikes with quite a lot of cash knocked off.

Advertisement