Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Didn't Renew still charged

• 15-09-2016 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

So long story short.

Given a renewal quote from fbd, said no thanks. Told them I'm not renewing. Went to aviva. But today fbd took money out of my account.

How do I get it fixed.

I called them and told them that I wouldn't be renewing towards the end if my policy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

So long story short.

Given a renewal quote from fbd, said no thanks. Told them I'm not renewing. Went to aviva. But today fbd took money out of my account.

How do I get it fixed.

I called them and told them that I wouldn't be renewing towards the end if my policy

Presume you were on direct debit?

Just ring them tomorrow and tell them you want it lapsed and a refund, shouldn't be any issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Presume you were on direct debit?

Just ring them tomorrow and tell them you want it lapsed and a refund, shouldn't be any issue.

Cheers, bank or insurance company?

Cheers, bank or insurance company?

Insurer, they will reverse the payment and lapse the policy, it might take up to 10 working days for it to go back into your account but there should be no problem with them doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

You could also write to the bank and cancel the direct debit.

Swanner wrote: »
    You could also write to the bank and cancel the direct debit.

While he could technically do that I'd advise against it.

Reason being if he just cancels the DD with the bank and not the insurer, the insurer will likely keep trying to bill him until they eventually cancel it for premium default.

That could potentially cause issues down the line as he would technically have a force cancellation on his insurance record.

• Advertisement

Got through after 30 minutes of being on hold over the course of three calls, after being cut off numerous times...

They want proof if my new policy and won't issue refund until they get what a complete shower of cnuts

Got through after 30 minutes of being on hold over the course of three calls, after being cut off numerous times...

They want proof if my new policy and won't issue refund until they get what a complete shower of cnuts

That's nonsense tbh.

If you already instructed them prior to renewal that you were not renewing then it's up to them to lapse it as it was their oversight.

The calls would be recorded so ring them back or email them telling them to listen to the call to confirm your instruction and to lapse the policy and issue a refund.

That's nonsense tbh.

If you already instructed them prior to renewal that you were not renewing then it's up to them to lapse it as it was their oversight.

The calls would be recorded so ring them back or email them telling them to listen to the call to confirm your instruction and to lapse the policy and issue a refund.

Gonna mail them about time and date of call, get a refund via bank and cancel DD with bank, fcuking gangsters carry on imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,726 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just tell them you got rid of the car and as such have no insurance risk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

They have made a mistake, no doubt about it. However, the quickest way to get your money back is to show them proof of your new cover. This will confirm to them they can't get caught for any incident that may not have been reported. That's all they are after.

• Advertisement

They also said there may be a charge for cancelling the policy👿👿

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Tell the bank it was an unauthorized DD. They will refund straight away.

The Payments Services Directive came into force on 1 November.

It removes many of the risks associated with paying by direct debit. People were wary of giving the ESB, Bord Gais and other service providers open access to their bank accounts, because it can be impossible to get the money back if a bill is disputed. The directive, however, requires banks to refund direct debits on request within eight weeks of payment (of the direct debit).

Tom Conlon, of Bankhawk Banking Advisors, said: “If you have a dispute with your gym, for example, you can ask your bank to refund all direct debit payments made in the past eight weeks. You don’t have to give a reason and the money should be back in your account before you even approach the gym to argue your case

They also said there may be a charge for cancelling the policy👿👿

You want it lapsed from renewal, not cancelled.

Sounds like you were unlucky enough to get talking to an inexperienced agent.

Threaten them with a formal complaint if you have to, that will get the wheels turning.

Advertisement