Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not quite a duathlon but nearly

Options
  • 15-09-2016 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭

I'm really not sure which forum to ask this in, and this seemed probably the nearest to what I'm doing.

I'm going to the European canicross championships in a month, in the Czech Republic, entering bikejore and then scooter classes. I will cycle 5km with a dog attached, around a hilly course in a ski resort (without the snow hopefully), then have about 30 minutes to recover, before going out on the same course on an adult scooter with a different dog, and will be running up most of the hills I imagine and scootering on the flat.

So, I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on drinks or snacks between the two classes, to help me recover from the first, and energise myself for the second.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Pedigree Chum or a bonio or 2 shud down the trick. Just drink plenty of water

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

are you sure on that bike distance? 5km? seems very short, after 5km on the bike you won't have to worry about recovering.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

mossym wrote: »
    are you sure on that bike distance? 5km? seems very short, after 5km on the bike you won't have to worry about recovering.

If it's 5k in a ski resort then that could be all uphill. Could be a long 5k

pgibbo wrote: »

read hilly so presuming some up and down. with the dog i guess they will be coming back to the same spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

pgibbo wrote: »

trasa.jpg

Doesn't look too troubling?? Is there laps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Sorry, should have given more info.

I'm a 51 year old woman who only got back on a bike last year, and started running in spring this year. I have been dryland mushing for years, but the dogs do all the work there.

My class was won by an Irish woman last year, doing around 14 minutes each day on another hilly course, although that was mainly grass, which turned into mud on the Sunday with lots of rain.

I've been cycling, running and swimming all summer to get fitter, but know that I will struggle with such a short break between the two classes.

Have you simulated the event in training?

Some fruit juice with a scoop of protein in it coupled with a banana may work. Pop a gel 5mins before the second event.

Hard to know being honest as everyones recovery needs can be different depending on their fitness and how they'll respond to the recovery period. I'd suggest some simulations to see what works best. Most triathletes would practice their nutrition strategy in training.

Something easy to digest like a banana as pgibbo said is probably a good bet. I would not take a gel on the day unless you have taken them before. Try one in training if you can. Some brands don't sit well with people. For me any of the gels with caffeine are a no no, for others its ok.

Keep your calm, 30 minutes will be ok for you, I think you may feel rushed but know that your body will have enough time to recover.

Dont eat anything too heavy or big. Taking the graph above as an example of calorie burn, 220calories. To get an idea of what that looks like its about 4 slices of bread, or ten gummy bears, 2 high5 gels, or 2 bananas. So say a banana, plenty of water depending on your perspiration levels with a high 5 zero tablet or dioralite tablet in it, and a gel 5 minutes before you head out again should replenish your calories lost in the first leg.

Thank you.

We have a group training session on Sunday morning, so I will do that the way I will at the ECFs. I can do that a couple of times a week now. Its actually been too warm to run the dogs much, so I've mainly been training by myself on the bike, as its so early in the dog working season, I'll be doing more work than if this event was in February or March with fitter dogs.

Thanks again, yes, I think I will probably panic a bit, thinking I have no time, between getting one dog in, and getting the next one out.

best of luck. let us know how it goes.

• Advertisement

+1 Please let us know how you get on. Best of luck

Yeah good luck with it Muddypaws

if you do decide to try a gel in advance, i'd try one with caffeine, given you're likely only be taking one in transition the caffeine might give you a boost. make sure you try in advance though, and if you are a coffee drinker lay off the java for a few days beforehand so the caffeine can take affect. i wasn;t able to give up the coffee even for a few days though!!

outside a gel, some sugars and carbs would be good, i'd go with pgibbo's suggestion

as the others said, best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Your title made me initially read it was one event with a 30min transition. It's two different events with 30 mins in between each, and you are wondering how best to recover for the second, is that right?

If you are concerned about racing then you will need to prioritise one event over the other; ie decide which one you will be most competitive in, and focus stay fresh for that one.

If both events are equally important then recovery will matter hugely, and you should practice <race:30 min recovery:race> often, before your event. Gels/gummy bears/isotonic drinks during the 30 mins; see what works for you.

Sounds like a fun event!

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Your title made me initially read it was one event with a 30min transition. It's two different events with 30 mins in between each, and you are wondering how best to recover for the second, is that right?

If you are concerned about racing then you will need to prioritise one event over the other; ie decide which one you will be most competitive in, and focus stay fresh for that one.

If both events are equally important then recovery will matter hugely, and you should practice <race:30 min recovery:race> often, before your event. Gels/gummy bears/isotonic drinks during the 30 mins; see what works for you.

Sounds like a fun event!

Yeah, I have kind of prioritised the second, the scooter, by choosing the strongest and fastest dog in that. Although that is also because I think I'm going to be more tired for that, and I can help on the bike more than on the scooter, so need a 'better' dog for the second run each day.

Anyone that runs with a dog, and/or has a bike, should come along to a Canicross Ireland event, we have bikejoring, scootering and canicross classes at each :)

Some of the Eastern European countries take the sports very seriously, the Polish government pay their athletes to take part, and some nations choose really good mountain bikers, then team them up with a dog that they don't know, but that is strong and fast just for each race. I prefer to do it with my own pet dogs for fun and to exercise them.

mossym wrote: »
    if you do decide to try a gel in advance, i'd try one with caffeine, given you're likely only be taking one in transition the caffeine might give you a boost. make sure you try in advance though, and if you are a coffee drinker lay off the java for a few days beforehand so the caffeine can take affect. i wasn;t able to give up the coffee even for a few days though!!

outside a gel, some sugars and carbs would be good, i'd go with pgibbo's suggestion

as the others said, best of luck

Hmmm, giving up coffee could be an issue ;) One Polish competitor was banned for 6 months as caffeine was found in one of his dogs after a drug test, but us humans can have as much as we want.

Well,how did it go?

Advertisement