Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI: League of Ireland Fixtures (Week 27), Sep 16-20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Finn Harps v Cork City at Finn Park on Monday the 19th as well, DFX. Postponed (twice) game from earlier in the season.

We're really facing into a hectic schedule in the next few weeks, nearly as much as Dundalk. The cup semi-final being on a Sunday means that we can't arrange a game for the following mid-week. Because we play Sligo next weekend on a Saturday, we have another re-arranged game on the Tuesday between that and the semi-final, so we couldn't even first another game the midweek before. If we were playing Sligo on a Friday, we could've at least gone Friday-Monday-Thursday-Sunday.

I know people were discussing in the main thread that we'll regret postponing Dundalk (it'd have been very tough without the two lads) or Harps (we probably had to postpone both). But I think our biggest regret will be not bringing forward one of the league matches that clashed with Europe. We did it with two games last year and faced no fixture congestion at all (granted, we fell at the first hurdle). One match was played on the Sunday after one of the first round games. We could've brought forward the other affected by the first round (couldn't really do much about later rounds, as we couldn't be changing matches assuming we'd go through), but chose not to for some reason. It's only one match, but it'd have made a huge difference. It'd probably have allowed us to have at least one midweek free (or have a couple of rest periods of four days instead of max three). That can make a huge difference in a run-in where the two main challengers have hectic schedules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Finn Harps v Cork City at Finn Park on Monday the 19th as well, DFX. Postponed (twice) game from earlier in the season.

We're really facing into a hectic schedule in the next few weeks, nearly as much as Dundalk. The cup semi-final being on a Sunday means that we can't arrange a game for the following mid-week. Because we play Sligo next weekend on a Saturday, we have another re-arranged game on the Tuesday between that and the semi-final, so we couldn't even first another game the midweek before. If we were playing Sligo on a Friday, we could've at least gone Friday-Monday-Thursday-Sunday.

I know people were discussing in the main thread that we'll regret postponing Dundalk (it'd have been very tough without the two lads) or Harps (we probably had to postpone both). But I think our biggest regret will be not bringing forward one of the league matches that clashed with Europe. We did it with two games last year and faced no fixture congestion at all (granted, we fell at the first hurdle). One match was played on the Sunday after one of the first round games. We could've brought forward the other affected by the first round (couldn't really do much about later rounds, as we couldn't be changing matches assuming we'd go through), but chose not to for some reason. It's only one match, but it'd have made a huge difference. It'd probably have allowed us to have at least one midweek free (or have a couple of rest periods of four days instead of max three). That can make a huge difference in a run-in where the two main challengers have hectic schedules.

But you can't say it wouldn't have negatively affected on european games which at the end of the day were worth a lot more money than the league. Priorities.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Heading down to Cork now with very low expectations...it would be great to hold out down there for more than last time, conceded in one minute, beaten inside fifteen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

dfx- wrote: »
    Heading down to Cork now with very low expectations...it would be great to hold out down there for more than last time, conceded in one minute, beaten inside fifteen.

Could be a painful night... squad wise down to the bare bones so my low levels of expectation normally associated with this fixture have plunged to new depths.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Bohs vs Wexford scheduled for Mon 19th in Dalymount too dfx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Paz-CCFC wrote: »

We're really facing into a hectic schedule in the next few weeks, nearly as much as Dundalk.

We are hitting game 2 of 6 games in 19 days between with yourselves Dundalk & Sligo postponements being added in. Given what happened last time with our part time squad when we had 5 in 15 and our current form our season really could be ****ed by the end of it. Could only have 5 on the bench in Dundalk, including 2 u19s.
    Im not feeling too much sympathy for ye considering the prize money ye made!

But you can't say it wouldn't have negatively affected on european games which at the end of the day were worth a lot more money than the league. Priorities.

I said to bring the games forward and play them before we play in Europe, like we did last year. That would prevent some of the fixture congestion down the line and retain the week's rest between Euro games.
    overshoot wrote: »
    We are hitting game 2 of 6 games in 19 days between with yourselves Dundalk & Sligo postponements being added in. Given what happened last time with our part time squad when we had 5 in 15 and our current form our season really could be ****ed by the end of it. Could only have 5 on the bench in Dundalk, including 2 u19s.
    Im not feeling too much sympathy for ye considering the prize money ye made!

I certainly wouldn't if we were in yer case. My point was more a criticism of the lack of foresight from our management.

For the very reason that teams not in Europe are affected by fixture changes too, I believe they should be getting a cut of the prize money. The postponement of the Harps-City game allowed City to have more rest after a long trip from Sweden and definitely helped us to progress another round. That banked us €235k. Harps lost out on money from a bigger crowd that would've attended on a Friday compared to a Monday and causes problems with cashflow periods not long after the mid-season break. Ye should definitely be getting some compensation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

We tried. LOI rejected us.

When we were playing Linfield, we should have used the middle Sunday for a game there. An absolute nonsense that we didn't in fact.

The semi final now makes us have to move the home game with Wex Youths as well. I had assumed it would be the Thursday (24 hrs before it was originally scheduled), but with Galway that mid week thats not possible.

gimmick wrote: »
    We tried. LOI rejected us.

Are you serious? What possible reason could be given for not allowing us to bring games forward? The Participation Agreement has a clause specifically for these kinda situations. What's the point in having it in there if we're then denied permission to invoke it?
    When we were playing Linfield, we should have used the middle Sunday for a game there. An absolute nonsense that we didn't in fact.
    That's a fair point. But with the draw so close to the first round, would we have had enough of a notice period to confirm it for that date? It might have been the case that we had to make the call before the draw and it was much more likely that we'd have a longer trip than Belfast.
    The semi final now makes us have to move the home game with Wex Youths as well. I had assumed it would be the Thursday (24 hrs before it was originally scheduled), but with Galway that mid week thats not possible.
    Yeah, same. But Galway was set for the Tuesday because of Sligo away the previous Saturday. If it were a normal Friday game, we'd have been able to have Galway on the Monday and Wexford on the Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Back to winning ways tonight, we didnt play overly well but Bohs were very, very poor. Two goals were well taken, and we should have had a pen for Supple pushing over a player in the box off the ball which the officials conspired not to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

in fairness Paz Iv seen you & gimmick make those points before. Mind boggles at the management of the league. They should be banking on teams making it through 2 rounds and having those games sorted early.
    As you said, moving our game to midweek, plus our current form, probably 500+ off the gate (latter obviously our problem, come to later.) The teams should be supported in Europe but the shambolic way its done is affecting other clubs and making the poor poorer while the rich get richer. It would be very easy to schedule the european clubs against each other in these windows so as to minimise disruption to others.
    I have no idea why you werent allowed bring games forward when Pats were allowed bring theirs forward against us... again just have to wonder whats going on at the top level.
    edit - To add... as we have been messed further on fixtures again. Sligo has been moved again (so they can play Pats on the 27th instead, which allows Pats play Cork in the cup that weekend instead of sligo). This puts the game 2 days after our away game v Galway. The Sligo-Harps game couldnt be played last weekend in the cup fixtures (when we were both out already), as we had to play Dundalk on the monday (2 days there too). I used to say it was an excuse if a barstooler said you dont know when fixtures are on but quite frankly, it is a valid point!

on ourselves, we are poison atm. We made more mistakes tonight than we were making in the barren years finishing lower half of D1. It was an open game but poor quality, Longfords goal was opportunistic and a good strike but a better team would have scored more, they had their chances.
    In saying that, we had about 6 great chances that we would have buried in the first half of the season (including a penalty)... when you just cant score... its been about 10hrs now since we scored against Galway (which was also a very poor game) and it shows through out the team.
    Ollie still has a lot to learn at this level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Great effort by the Youths tonight, game spoiled by the referee. Funniest moment was Kenny Shiels taking pictures during the game of Craig McCabe's long throws :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Town win?!?!?! *faints

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Harps in freefall, thankfully. Big 6 pointer at Ferrycarrig 2nd last game of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Thought we were absolutely excellent last night, really shut Derry down throughout the game. Derry's back four looked much more vulnerable this week, Vemmelund and Karner were a very poor pairing, particularly against the long ball. Have a lot more hope of us staying up now.

Considering the very low expectations, I was happy enough with that performance, from 0-5 in 50 minutes to a game settled by a 89th minute penalty in Cork. 3-0 was harsh.

And now...on to Dundalk:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Oats profile pic has never been more relevant.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

A tough 90 mins of viewing in United Park on Friday, this season can't end quick enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

1-0 to City. Goal from a Sean Maguire peno. Beattie also sent off. From what I've heard we were very lucky. I'd still have taken that result happily before the match. Fingers crossed for Dundalk to slip up.

• Advertisement

Jealousy is a poor shade on him.

Super silly dicking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Finn should've called that there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Oh look, Gartland has scored another important goal for Dundalk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Really entertaining game in Oriel Park tonight, Rovers were very organised and up for it. Dundalk denied an absolutely stone wall penalty were Cork City got a very dubious one last night against Finn Harps. On such margins are league titles decided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

What is the story with Sami Ristila being Rovers "manager"? Was it literally a case of him being brought in as he had the right badges and it would allow Bradley to continue on as head coach? Seems like a strange project they have going on in Tallaght. A coaches breeding ground with the likes of Bradley, Cronin, Ristila and Duff, not to mention their starting XI is full of teenagers. Played okay tonight but results in the past few weeks haven't been going too great, can't be how they plan to approach things next season I wouldn't think.

Played okay tonight but results in the past few weeks haven't been going too great, can't be how they plan to approach things next season I wouldn't think.

They won five out of six I think before the Derry home game. They should've beaten Pats and then beat Galway.

Then there was Cork, but that's two successive good responses away to the top two teams in the league with Doona, Dobbs, Boyd, Trevor Clarke, Heaney and Hanney all playing key roles. Perhaps the Cork cup game was what was needed to steady the 352 experiment where the defence was all over the place.

And 8 mins added time...was it the same ref as in the AZ game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Really entertaining game in Oriel Park tonight, Rovers were very organised and up for it. Dundalk denied an absolutely stone wall penalty were Cork City got a very dubious one last night against Finn Harps. On such margins are league titles decided.

Looked dubious at first but the replays fairly clearly show that Buckley was barged from getting the ball.

Advertisement