Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tolka valley park

Options
  • 16-09-2016 7:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi,

Does anyone go to this park? Is it a nice and safe place these days, do people usually run there, walk dogs and walk with children?

I will be living in the area (from Royal canal park side) and would like to go to this park sometimes. I read the place had good and bad days and that there were also several crime-related incidents in the past (it's also close to West Finglas), which concerns me for safety.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

it's a grand place, loads of people walking dogs, running and kids playing.

The part that runs along the River Road is quieter, and more geared toward walkers/dog walkers, seems to be well lit, but take the usual precautions for walking in parks at night. The older part, running from the Rathoath Road all the way down to the Finglas Road is certainly busier, it has sports pitches and a playground, but I've never encountered "unsocial" behaviour, again, caveats apply when it's dark.

But I've never had any qualms about going walking there, in either side, or bring my 2.5 year old down to play on the swings etc.

Grand place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I used to go for regular morning walks between Rathborne and Royal canal park (river road section) for the last three summers. It's glorious on a sunny morning between 630 and 830. A few dog walkers, cyclists and runners so not completely deserted but pretty quiet and empty. Biggest hazard would be unthinking dog owners with their "he's just being friendly" dogs off leashes.

There's definitely a little anti-social behaviour going on judging by the empty cans and litter piles that get left beside picnic tables occasionally, but I've never seen it happening.

The park is being opened up a little more, so will probably get busier. There's a new entrance going in from Royal Canal Park and the recently granted planning permission at Rathborne/Ashtown kind of connects the canal to the park with a green area that runs between them.

The area behind Ballyboggan road is definitely busier.

Advertisement