Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annual TodayFM/ Topflight rip off

• 16-09-2016 8:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭

Announced this am Kirchberg again! Let the price gouging begin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Russman

Fattes wrote: »
    Announced this am Kirchberg again! Let the price gouging begin

Ya, its coming in at €1,500 or thereabouts (in some cases a lot higher) when/if you include the ski bundle of lessons, lift pass & equipment @ €569.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

You would wonder who gets the brucie bonus here?
    My money is on TodayFM , they advertise it and promote it and take say €250PP
    Cant see it being a jolly for the staff , any ideas on how many freebies are going? Maybe Ian Dempsey takes a dozen associates?
    Id say its a split between TodayFM and Topflight , nice wee earner anyways.
    Good luck to them , ill be doing a DIY :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

I couldn't think of a worse ski holiday. 500 pissed paddys in gaa jerseys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Atmosphere or not, I really struggle to see how so many people are roped into paying way above the odds.
    Also noticed the All Inclusive deal "5 day beginner lift pass, 6 day ski & boot hire"
    Does that mean you've the book the additional day lift pass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Each to their own, for what type of holiday they want or have. I have no problem with the people on the holiday but I do have a problem with the organisers.

The blatant price gouging and ridiculous cost adds to the perception that skiing has to be expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

maddness wrote: »

I dunno 500 pissed paddies in rugby jerseys would be a lot worse but ce la vie....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Me and the missus went on one of these trips a few years ago, in Kirchberg coincidentally.
    First time on a ski holiday, it was a bit on the pricey side but one of the best holidays we've been on.
    We couldn't get any friends to go on a ski holiday so this looked like a good option.
    Went skiing during the day and each evening they had a quiz or karaoke night etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

maddness wrote: »

You clearly haven't heard of the coppers one, they give you a free special coppers ski trip gaa jersey

Edit: on another note this rules out a lot of Austria for that week because price flights go through the roof for Munich anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Just saw the prices there, seriously over priced!!

• Advertisement

lbj666 wrote: »
    You clearly haven't heard of the coppers one, they give you a free special coppers ski trip gaa jersey

A couple of friends went on the today fm trip a few years ago and had a great time. They skied a total of about three or four hours between them as the nights were heavy and they were too wrecked every day.
    My point being that if you want to go on the piss for the week you don't need to spend €1500 to do it.
    Perhaps I'm just old and boring or perhaps I love skiing and don't want to waste precious time not skiing when I'm there.

I dunno 500 pissed paddies in rugby jerseys would be a lot worse but ce la vie....

500 pissed idiots could wear what they wanted.....

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Quii

I went on the Today FM trip this year in Bad Hofgastein, a mate and I decided it could be a bit of fun - and it was!

the whole holiday cost the guts of 3k in the end with (excessive amounts) booze included.

Would recommend it alright, just be prepared to pay well over the odds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Quii wrote:
    the whole holiday cost the guts of 3k in the end with (excessive amounts) booze included.

I dunno... I just couldnt do a 3k holiday. Theres 11 of us going to Mayrhofen in Jan and with staying on a good hotel and going out every night Itll still cost maybe 1500 incl nights out.

Personally feel you could only spend 3k in a week with being ripped off at every corner.

Quii wrote: »
    I went on the Today FM trip this year in Bad Hofgastein, a mate and I decided it could be a bit of fun - and it was!

Would recommend it alright, just be prepared to pay well over the odds

That at return flights to Canada, and 2-3 days Heliskiing with 5 drops a day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

That at return flights to Canada, and 2-3 days Heliskiing with 5 drops a day

I would be up for that too. The target or pitch of the Today FM ski trip is way below that level. Ultimately, the producers want a week of frolics etc because they want listeners in the morning and want to sell advertising in advance based on these listeners. It's a fully commercial ski tri.

It's in no way my cup of tea. Way over priced etc. Much rather a few days in La Grave with local guides everyday or dropping off the back side of Valluga in to Zurs etc.

Each to their own as they say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭6541

For some people this is great, yeah overpriced but serious craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭prunudo

Each to their own but if was spending €3k for a snow holiday it wouldn't be spent on boozing and having the 'craic'.
    Heli skiing, guides, lessons or finding alternative fresh terrain would be where my money would be going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

and we come full circle.
    This bull****e reinforces that skiing is expensive , wasteful and a load of arseholes getting blocked ignorant to local custom and practice.

this was my initial perception of a ski holiday and its so far removed from the truth and thats why i speak out against these gougers who claim to support the industry but who only care about profit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

for me €3k would be an average skiing holidays for 10 in high resort (Ischgl / San Anton etc) - that would include flight, private transfers to resort, hotel, apres ski and all rentals....and eating out each night as we don't like going half board.

Having been to Kitzbühel a few years ago, personally i dont like the ski area - too disjointed not serviced well with lifts etc, i wouldn't be spending €3k for a week there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭darka78

cocker5 wrote: »
    for me €3k would be an average skiing holidays for 10 in high resort (Ischgl / San Anton etc) - that would include flight, private transfers to resort, hotel, apres ski and all rentals....and eating out each night as we don't like going half board.

Having been to Kitzbühel a few years ago, personally i dont like the ski area - too disjointed not serviced well with lifts etc, i wouldn't be spending €3k for a week there.

was considering Kitzbuhel this year but now in doubt after your post. What other ski resort would you recommend in Austria? I am intermediate snowboarder.

darka78 wrote: »
    was considering Kitzbuhel this year but now in doubt after your post. What other ski resort would you recommend in Austria? I am intermediate snowboarder.

It depends.. where else have you been in Austria?

To be honest the town of Kitzbuhel is stunning.. but NO après ski .. no nice bars etc. it’s all restaurants (super expensive one) etc., one decent Mexican and that’s it.

The ski lift system is poor, you get to the top of the (old) gondola and then you have to drag yourself a good bit on the flat to even reach another chair lift and that’s a serious issue for boarders… there are no runs here , you HAVE to get this lift up to another area. The chair lifts are old which for a resort that so expensive it baffles me to be honest.
    Plus the gondola has pretty long queue each day and is outside the town up by the train station. so a little bit out of the way etc.

Most of the mountain is in the shade all day (no sitting out in the sun having a beer etc.) now there are parts of the mountain with sun but you have to travel to get there.
    Based on all of the above I wouldn’t go back.

Have you been to St Anton or Ischgl before?

It depends on what you want form a resort??

What month are you thinking of going? This also dictates resorts… if you give me more info I will be able to give you advise on resorts based on what you want and when you’re going (how many of you) etc

To be honest the town of Kitzbuhel is stunning.. but NO après ski .. no nice bars etc. it’s all restaurants (super expensive one) etc., one decent Mexican and that’s it.

The ski lift system is poor, you get to the top of the (old) gondola and then you have to drag yourself a good bit on the flat to even reach another chair lift and that’s a serious issue for boarders… there are no runs here , you HAVE to get this lift up to another area. The chair lifts are old which for a resort that so expensive it baffles me to be honest.
    Plus the gondola has pretty long queue each day and is outside the town up by the train station. so a little bit out of the way etc.

Most of the mountain is in the shade all day (no sitting out in the sun having a beer etc.) now there are parts of the mountain with sun but you have to travel to get there.

What month are you thinking of going? This also dictates resorts… if you give me more info I will be able to give you advise on resorts based on what you want and when you’re going (how many of you) etc

I never been to Austria, but always was keen to try. Ski resorts I have been to are mostly in Italy:
    1. Kronplatz
    2. Alta Badia
    3. Sextner
    4. Arabba/Marmolada
    5. Grandvalirra (Andorra)

My favorite is Kronplatz, that resort spoiled me with its modern lifts(mostly gondolas), great black and blue runs, non existent flats(only one or two) between lifts, great view from top of mountain, not crazy expensive food( although we make mostly our own food) and cozy and quiet Brunico town and well prepared runs on the slopes.Overall I feel that resort gives good value. Only negative I could give it gets crowdy somedays. All other ski resorts didn't meet my expectations.

Usually 4 of us going, 2 boarders 2 skiers. We think about January, but mid December is not ruled out depending on how winter is going to start and what weather going to bring. We don't hit snow parks basically we just like to race each other on slopes :)

From the top of the Hahenkamn Bahn it is a short ride down to the A3 lift. The reason Kitzbul does not get much sun is because of its aspect, which means it has better snow than other resorts in the area!

The recent lift investment and infrastructure updates in the wider area have much improved the resort. I am not its biggest fan but, it is one resort everyone should visit once if they can.

As for pricing both Ischgel and St Anton are approximately 8-10% more expensive across all services and products than Kitz.

From the top of the Hahenkamn Bahn it is a short ride down to the A3 lift. The reason Kitzbul does not get much sun is because of its aspect, which means it has better snow than other resorts in the area!

The recent lift investment and infrastructure updates in the wider area have much improved the resort. I am not its biggest fan but, it is one resort everyone should visit once if they can.

As for pricing both Ischgel and St Anton are approximately 8-10% more expensive across all services and products than Kitz.

Im sorry Fattes.. but for me its a pain in the ass each morning dragging yourself down to the A3... the gondola is small and old.. huge queues each morning... with regard to the no sun issue - this may help with the snow but for me id rather go to Ischgl and get a far better experience... even at 10% more.. that's just my opinion.

The mountain restaurants are far and few in between.. and not great quality.

Plus the serious lack of ANY apres.. seals the deal for me.

Maybe I;m just spoiled with St anton and Ischgl -luckily I've been to both numerous times and heading to ischgl in March 2017 for 10 nights, you just cannot compare the ski areas -lift system, mountain restaurants and apres... its like chalk and cheese!

darka78 wrote: »
    I never been to Austria, but always was keen to try. Ski resorts I have been to are mostly in Italy:
    1. Kronplatz
    2. Alta Badia
    3. Sextner
    4. Arabba/Marmolada
    5. Grandvalirra (Andorra)

My favorite is Kronplatz, that resort spoiled me with its modern lifts(mostly gondolas), great black and blue runs, non existent flats(only one or two) between lifts, great view from top of mountain, not crazy expensive food( although we make mostly our own food) and cozy and quiet Brunico town and well prepared runs on the slopes.Overall I feel that resort gives good value. Only negative I could give it gets crowdy somedays. All other ski resorts didn't meet my expectations.

Usually 4 of us going, 2 boarders 2 skiers. We think about January, but mid December is not ruled out depending on how winter is going to start and what weather going to bring. We don't hit snow parks basically we just like to race each other on slopes :)

darka78

I’d say try Ischgl… it’s an excellent resort for both skiers and boarders!
    It have a HUGE ski area with very modern lifts (heated seats etc.), you can ski in Switzerland too!

Mountain restaurants are fab… the town is kind of two towns together… both side different but equally nice. So great après if that’s what you want but also some nice quiet places too for a hot chocolate – depends on what you are going for! There are 3 gondolas… Silvretta Seilbahn AG can be busy at peak times due to it being beside a major bus stop so stay the at a the opposite end.

Are you doing it separately or as a package? We do all our trip separately..

Here are two excellent apartments in Ischgl at the decent end of the town where there are 2 huge gondolas… very little queues

http://www.wolf-ischgl.at/en/welcome.html
    http://www.gradiva.at/

I’ve stayed in both.. they are both excellent and quiet.. reasonably priced for Ischgl.

http://www.ischgl.com/en

It’s a fabulous resort it has EVERYTHING in it… also do the sleighing it’s on a Thursday night.. great fun..

It has a fantastic ski area, you can ski all the way back to the town, it’s a high resort so chance of good snow at xmas… I’ve been twice over NYE, loads of snow and sunny weather both times.

If the prices for Ischgl don’t suit… and if the snow is good another great resorts (with great village) plus its ski in / ski out is Saalbach! It’s also worth a visit!

http://www.saalbach.com/en/

if you want any more info just shout!

darka78

It have a HUGE ski area with very modern lifts (heated seats etc.), you can ski in Switzerland too!

Mountain restaurants are fab… the town is kind of two towns together… both side different but equally nice. So great après if that’s what you want but also some nice quiet places too for a hot chocolate – depends on what you are going for! There are 3 gondolas… Silvretta Seilbahn AG can be busy at peak times due to it being beside a major bus stop so stay the at a the opposite end.

Here are two excellent apartments in Ischgl at the decent end of the town where there are 2 huge gondolas… very little queues

I’ve stayed in both.. they are both excellent and quiet.. reasonably priced for Ischgl.

It’s a fabulous resort it has EVERYTHING in it… also do the sleighing it’s on a Thursday night.. great fun..

It has a fantastic ski area, you can ski all the way back to the town, it’s a high resort so chance of good snow at xmas… I’ve been twice over NYE, loads of snow and sunny weather both times.

If the prices for Ischgl don’t suit… and if the snow is good another great resorts (with great village) plus its ski in / ski out is Saalbach! It’s also worth a visit!

Hillarious, pretty much every resort in Austria has heated gondola and lifts as standard, both the lifts I used as examples in Kits are heated!
    Also I suspect you have not been in Kits since its recent infastructure upgrades. Not sure why you Capsed "Everything" As it is not a unique or complete resort.

All the virtues you are promoting are pretty standard across most mega resorts and some secret other spots in Europe without the premium that comes with Ischgel or St Anton, Verbier etc

I have skied in over 200 resorts in Europe Ischgel is one of the poorest for value for money and during peak times is one of the busiest! Everything your are saying is bad about Kitzbull Ischgel and Anton has issues with also. Also certain weeks in Isghel/ Anton attracts a very unpleasant crowd

As for Àpres you may have been looking in the wrong place!

Hillarious, pretty much every resort in Austria has heated gondola and lifts as standard, both the lifts I used as examples in Kits are heated!
    Also I suspect you have not been in Kits since its recent infastructure upgrades

I have skied in over 200 resorts in Europe Ischgel is one of the poorest for value for money and during peak times is one of the busiest! Everything your are saying is bad about Kitzbull Ischgel and Anton has issues with also. Also certain weeks in Isghel/ Anton attracts a very unpleasant crowd

I can only go by my experiences.. no desire to go back full stop.. wouldn't recommend it for all the reasons i stated above....

you seem to have a serious issue with both Ischgl and St Anton.. that's grand but we will have to agree to disagree on this one I'm afraid!

Also I suspect you have not been in Kits since its recent infastructure upgrades

Fattes,

what is you top 3 ski resorts in Europe?

• Advertisement

darka78

thank you for your suggestion, I will definitely consider those 2. We always went separate not as package. We find it better not sure if cheaper but days of the week buying as package not always suitable for us. Munich would be the closest to Ischgl? And Memmingen,Salzburg to Saalbach from Dublin? I wish we had Dublin-Innsbruck direct flights.

Advertisement