Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my BB knackered?

Options
  • 16-09-2016 8:52am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I had some lateral movement in my cranks, fairly noticeable too. - bottom bracket (Model: Ultegra SMFC 6601). I got the chainset changed yesterday from a mid compact to a compact and forget to say anything about the movement, but on first impressions it was good and tight.

I can be a bit heavy on the pedals, and was at one point yesterday, heard a bit of a crunching noise, then the lateral movement seemed to be back. Is it best to just change it, and how much would it cost to get done?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/shimano-ultegra-6800-bottom-bracket/rp-prod108701

Any hollow tech BB will do.

Buy the tool to fit yourself or use lbs.

If DIY use plenty grease and very gently preload the bearings; ie when screwing in plastic cap on non drive side.

Fit properly and they last a long time.

YouTube with gcn or park tools is decent.

I was convinced HT BB were crap as first one on a bike I had only lasted 2k km (factory fitted ), with care fitting they do 10k km easy and I just change them every year

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I might leave this one to the LBS as I use it everyday, but practice it on an old bike.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Weepsie wrote: »
    I might leave this one to the LBS as I use it everyday, but practice it on an old bike.

Both times I've taken a BB out of older bikes has involved quite a bit of swearing and frustration. Managed eventually, but probably better to use the LBS unless you quite enjoy the DIY side of things. As with pedals, thread rotation is different on either side, and BB can be very very stiff to unscrew. Took a long handled adjustable wrench and mallet for me last time.

Advertisement