Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apprentice UK 2016

• 16-09-2016 9:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,443 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Due to kick off in October this year.

Not too many details on it yet however Rhod Gilbert has been hired as the new host of "You're Fired".

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Due to kick off in October this year.

Not too many details on it yet however Rhod Gilbert has been hired as the new host of "You're Fired".

Rhod Gilbert is one of my favourite UK Comedians so I hope he works out as the You're Fired host.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

...Does anyone else think that the Apprentice might be starting to get a little bit tired at this stage?

It's still getting decent viewing figures after over a decade on air, of course - but surely its lifespan is finite. There's only so many times the viewing public can see teams mucking up their tasks, bickering in the boardroom and Lord Sugar's finger of doom...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

...Does anyone else think that the Apprentice might be starting to get a little bit tired at this stage?

It's still getting decent viewing figures after over a decade on air, of course - but surely its lifespan is finite. There's only so many times the viewing public can see teams mucking up their tasks, bickering in the boardroom and Lord Sugar's finger of doom...

I'm sure there's new audiences coming to it every year, with viewers who are sick of the concept not returning from the previous season.

It's not like a serial show where you feel the need to go back and start at Season 1 with a cliffhanger at the end of each season to draw you back for another year. Since each season is self-contained, like most competition shows, the audience can be fluid and as long as the contestants are at least somewhat likeable or entertaining and the viewing figures are good, then it's not really a case of the show getting stale or tired.

Of course, there'll be people who have watched every single season and will continue to do so, but that goes for any show on television.

I'm sure there's new audiences coming to it every year, with viewers who are sick of the concept not returning from the previous season.

It's not like a serial show where you feel the need to go back and start at Season 1 with a cliffhanger at the end of each season to draw you back for another year. Since each season is self-contained, like most competition shows, the audience can be fluid and as long as the contestants are at least somewhat likeable or entertaining and the viewing figures are good, then it's not really a case of the show getting stale or tired.

Of course, there'll be people who have watched every single season and will continue to do so, but that goes for any show on television.

But it certainly can't last forever, can it?

Were Sugar to decide that enough is enough - and he'll be 70 next March - then surely that's the end? Just like with Chris Tarrant on Millionaire and Anne Robinson on the Weakest Link, he has become so associated with the Apprentice that replacing him would be just about impossible.

But it certainly can't last forever, can it?

Were Sugar to decide that enough is enough - and he'll be 70 next March - then surely that's the end? Just like with Chris Tarrant on Millionaire and Anne Robinson on the Weakest Link, he has become so associated with the Apprentice that replacing him would be just about impossible.

I don't know how successful it'd be if Sugar left and the BBC decided to replace him or if indeed the BBC would even want to do that - sure they could decide themselves after this upcoming season to call it a day, but I don't think it's the sort of show that needs to have an expiry date or to give a more straightforward answer to your question, there isn't necessarily any reason it couldn't go on forever... It won't, but it's a formula that has the potential to continue. It's not story driven, so it doesn't need to have an end in sight - if it ended this season I wouldn't be surprised, but I also wouldn't be surprised that another 15 years from now if it was still going is some shape or form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I still tune in, but the show for me really died a death when they moved to the business plan model.

Sugar and co obviously review the business plans prior to the tasks kicking off and thus the candidate exits are manipulated to ensure that those with the more desirable business plans are staying in the competition the longest, regardless of performance.

I know that this happened to a certain extent in the past prior to the switch, with candidates who he favoured getting more opportunities than they should have, but it's at a whole different level now. The whole process feels like a waste of time now and thus the show is nowhere near as entertaining as it once was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I think it could survive without Sugar, might give it a needed shake up.

Wouldn't mind seeing Karren as the boss, or maybe one of the Dragons, perhaps Deborah Meadan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

There's a lot of reality tv shows that don't seem to want to die. Like Xfactor and Big Brother.

The good thing of course it that the contestants will always be original, so even if the show formula becomes stale, at least there is some originality in each series.

I think it's time at least for the BBC to consider new challenges. That would shake it up a bit.

I agree the business plan idea spoils it all. The viewer wants to see their favourite person win, not the one with the best business plan.

I think if Sugar leaves the BBC will drop it. Just a hunch. I think he's happy to carry on for a good while yet though, despite his age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

The BBC might drop it if Sugar left, but they don't own the format. I'm sure Mark Burnett would be keen to get another channel to pick it up.

maudgonner wrote: »
    The BBC might drop it if Sugar left, but they don't own the format. I'm sure Mark Burnett would be keen to get another channel to pick it up.

Channel 4 would probably be his best bet there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Channel 4 would probably be his best bet there.

C4 may have blown their competitive reality budget for the next little while :) But I can see how it would fit in well for them.

ITV did the UK version of Survivor so they do have a relationship with Burnett & Co, but I think there was a bit of a kerfuffle over the similarity of I'm a Celebrity, so I'm not sure how things stand now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,443 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

9pm on October 6th on BBC1 is the first show.

Thursday is the new day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The egos have landed... some choice quotes:
    "How would I describe myself in one sentence? I'll give you one word: awesome."

"Sometimes batting the eyelashes can get you a lot in business. Hence, the mascara comes in handy – so they can see those lashes." (this is from an Irish guy)

"If I wanted to be like everyone else, I'd have waxed my monobrow."

"I feel sorry for Lord Sugar because previous applicants have been weak." (setting himself up to be gone in the first 3 weeks)

"Sometimes I feel like James Bond when I'm in my suit."

"My creativity, my passion, my charm, and my likeability all roll into one, creating one perfect guy."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I knew that Dillon St.Paul was Irish before I read his bio, has he been on something else before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

pilly wrote: »
    I knew that Dillon St.Paul was Irish before I read his bio, has he been on something else before?

He was on an Irish show called Fade Street

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Knew I knew his face and names, thanks Kitten. What was that programme about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

I never watched it, just read it the other day when the contestants were announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

Late entrant just added, a guy called sam Allardyce

• Advertisement

Nine men and nine women. All aged between 24 and 38. All conventionally good-looking. One candidate each from Wales, Scotland, Ireland and Northern Ireland; the rest from England, mainly London and Essex. One black candidate; several others of Asian descent.

As expected, really. :rolleyes: ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,360 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

pilly wrote: »

As soon as I saw the head on him I thought he looked vaguely familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

kitten_k wrote: »
    He was on an Irish show called Fade Street

Just found the thread, cool DSP is on it! He was the colleague, bestie, shoulder to cry on about fella-woes of the one, not Vogue, in the magazine she worked for.....obviously made a lasting impression on me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭sporina

is the show tonight the 1st one?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

sporina wrote: »
    is the show tonight the 1st one?

It is indeed. 9pm BBC1.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

It's starting and already I'm not impressed :D
    So what awful team names will they come up with this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

" ... like a nuclear weapon ... " - modest lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Woman in the green dress is way too excited. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

The Big K "what do you think about the chicks?" :rolleyes:
    Is it wrong I want to slap him already?

Advertisement