Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apprentice UK 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

If you want to win the Apprentice, don't get stroppy with Lord Sugar in the boardroom.

That really highlighted how hard he finds it to control his temper. He was very subdued on 'You're Fired' so I think he knew how badly he came across on the show, not that he'd ever admit it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Just catching up, never been a series where there has been so much crying in the board room.

So glad Pail got the boot, comes across as a pr*ck,

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Just catching up, never been a series where there has been so much crying in the board room.

So glad Pail got the boot, comes across as a pr*ck,

Never been a series with so many muppets. There was often a couple of characters and a couple of wastes of space, but this year takes this biscuit.

I think Paul was trying to be strategic by bring Francis into the boardroom, assuming she'd be fired to be on a losing team once again, but he wasn't aware of his anger issues, especially when they bubbled over in the boardroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

I don't know if I ever negatively muttered 'Oh my God' or thought it as much while watching an episode of television as I did during the latest episode of the Apprentice. It truly is car crash television at this point, do the producers seriously just pick out the most inept, incompetent entrants for the show as they can?

Anyway, Paul had to go. A pure bully who wouldn't even stop when it came to Lord Sugar. Most worryingly, he thought there was absolutely nothing wrong with his behaviour. He'd be best suited to opening a pawn shop or bookies in East London.

As for an outright winner. At this moment, Gráinne by default because she's the only one who doesn't seem to be a complete insanist. Jessica might challenge her if she can oversee a winning task soon, but this really is a bad bunch of candidates. None of the boys are going to win. Dillon is there to play dress-up, Courtney is still learning how to talk and Sufjan is Sufjan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Dillion did good job, entertainment/food was his area and they won it with 100% customer satisfaction

Karren bitching that it was like a kids party, but everyone was having fun.

The Madame Tussades location should have won it automatically, what a fcuk up. Frances just nodded along to everything Paul said in the first half and then did nothing really when she was made sub team manager, thought they both should have been sacked.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Dillion did good job, entertainment/food was his area and they won it with 100% customer satisfaction

Karren bitching that it was like a kids party, but everyone was having fun.

In fairness to Dillon, he did pull it around in the moment, but the team and task were chaotic leading up to that moment. People bought the ticket expecting prestige, they got pantomime instead. Thanks to Dillon, they were still entertained. Unless a task has a creative element though, Dillon won't be much use from what I've seen so far.

The organisation from both teams was extremely poor this week, with this season building 'down' to that point through each episode. I'm sure the show is edited in such a way that it's hard to really know how long the teams have to plan out their tasks in that initial meeting, but the candidates are coming across as really incompetent and scatterbrained.

Two things from this week which both teams failed on miserably - product and pricing. These are surely among the first things to be discussed and clarified in the planning stages of a task, no? Yet, one team were out there selling something as their big hook which didn't exist (physics-defying show featuring a submerged mermaid who would sing and hold her breath under water for "minutes and minutes") and the other team were selling a product they knew nothing about (does the price include food?) Never mind the candidates and their teams, it's making the show as a whole look bad. At this point, I'm still watching because 1) It's one of the few shows myself and the OH sit down and watch together, and 2) I do like Sugar and Claude, and even Karen sucking on the lemons.

The candidates aren't worth rooting for though and because they are incompetent, the tasks and their watchable quality suffer too. Tuning in these days, it's like "Right, how much of a mess will they make of it this week?" and that wasn't always the way with the show, there was a time you'd see something resembling business acumen on a semi-consistent basis. Just two seasons ago, we got candidates like Mark and Roisín (Rush-een, wonder does she know Gren-ya?), seems much longer ago.
    The Madame Tussades location should have won it automatically, what a fcuk up. Frances just nodded along to everything Paul said in the first half and then did nothing really when she was made sub team manager, thought they both should have been sacked.
    That struck me as quite odd and really out of character and out of the blue for what we've seen from Francis so far. To the point I was actually wondering 'Was there a bit of divilment off-camera in the house between Paul and Francis?'. Ok, it can be suggested that Francis was just being dedicated to her PM, but even my OH said early on "Francis needs to take her head out of Paul's...". Francis struck me as a decent candidate up until this week, decent but unfortunate to be on the losing team so much. However, this episode ruled her out for me. I'm not saying she hasn't a chance of winning, just that I'm not a fan and she came across quite weak at times.

The way she and Paul were acting early on in the task, they thought they were Jobs and Zuckerberg. The reality though was that they were more like Randolph and Mortimer Duke from Trading Places, Paul failing as PM throughout and Francis failing to back up her words when she took over Jessica's role with the sub-team. On that, Jessica took that demotion quite well. She voiced her displeasure in the morning meeting and then in the boardroom, but got on with the task in the meantime. It will be interesting to see how she does now that Paul is no longer around.

It will be interesting to see everyone gets on now that Paul is no longer around. He was a bully, simple as, and something the show and process could totally do without. Plenty of the candidates would try to debate with him and whether he was PM or not, he would just shout them down and that's how he would get his way. There's being decisive and then there's just being aggressive and threatening. You could tell that it was having an effect on some of the candidates, notably Jessica, and then Francis' adornment of him early in this episode was strange. His overbearing presence wasn't just felt with the women though, the guys too. In an early episode, that Kylo Ren-looking lad Mackay tried to escalate a disagreement with Paul and basically had to resign his point because it looked like Paul was about to physically unleash. You can't have that. In saying these things though, Paul has some business attributes which outshine some of the other contestants, but because of his demeanour and aggressive manner, those attributes mean a whole lot less.

Anyway, onto next week's circus we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Best episode ever.

I mean when it comes to being cringeworthy and hilarious :D

Paul + Francis loving each other up in the task followed by their harrowing divorce in the board room.

Oscar goes to Francis for most dramatic performance in the board room when she announces with instant water works she has given up everything and way more than the other candidates.

Add in all comedy of errors and Alana's facial expressions and its pure gold.

I had to jump behind the couch for cover those few times where Paul talked back to Sugar :eek:

Two things about last night's episode:

1) Paul was a bully and needed to go but I quite enjoyed him talking back to Sugar. Everyone always grovels in his presence and Paul did not back down at all.

2) Paul seemed to see himself as a bit of a puppetmaster from what I have observed. Earlier in the series he made some comment about getting rid of everyone and winning the thing. Then tonight at the start of the episode he said straight out "Jessica needs to go" and seemed to think that because he wanted her to go and endeavoured to undermine her, that it would happen. So it was quite satisfying to see it all blow up in his face. A very unpleasant individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Alana's worried face is brilliant

Loved her scene with Karen too

Alana: "We've got 15 minutes"
    Karen: "No you don't, your guests have arrived"
    Alana: "We've got no minutes"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Grainne as a mermaid was a particular highlight of the episode

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Frances "We work well together Paul" "I love working with Paul"

Then a mess up with the food costings and she wasnt long changing her mind about Paul :D

Glad Paul is gone anyway,just loses the plot anytime something didnt go right

And agree 100% with the post above about about Grainne,stunning she is

Frances "We work well together Paul" "I love working with Paul"

Then a mess up with the food costings and she wasnt long changing her mind about Paul :D

Glad Paul is gone anyway,just loses the plot anytime something didnt go right

And agree 100% with the post above about about Grainne,stunning she is

I can definitely see Grainne making the finals.

ahlookit wrote: »
    Alana's worried face is brilliant

Loved her scene with Karen too

Alana: "We've got 15 minutes"
    Karen: "No you don't, your guests have arrived"
    Alana: "We've got no minutes"

I think one of the best lines ever on the show.

FYI I think Alana will be at least top 4, at this stage a potential winner but little to early to call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    I think one of the best lines ever on the show.

FYI I think Alana will be at least top 4, at this stage a potential winner but little to early to call.

I can't see anything that Alana brings to the party. Although I can't see any of them as a potential winner at this stage.

I can't see anything that Alana brings to the party. Although I can't see any of them as a potential winner at this stage.

That's because most of them try to shut her up, think she will be a dark horse.

I am shocked she made it this far.

Her faces are priceless though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Where do they get these people from? they're all thickos every year full of thickos ......in one episode one of them asked if 'Morocco was in Turkey' and got a reply "I don't know" ......thickos

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Off-topic but.. Gráinne has a 15 year-old son! :eek:

She was a good project manager for the most part and actually came up with a decent-in-the-real-world ad idea for the gilet. She did all this after being targeted a lot by other contestants in the first few episodes. That shows resilience. She lacks confidence but seems to talk sense when she does get heard.

I also said to my fella in the maybe second or third episode that I thought Trishna seemed a good 'un. *smug*

I loved Gráinne at the start and in the first four or so episodes but she is fading a bit now, I think. She's had a few fuck ups. She needs a few strong weeks coming up, I think. My fella also enjoyed her as a mermaid though. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭sporina

delighted that Paul is gone - what an ignorant pig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,894 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just watched it now..

- Frances was so far up Paul's ass it was ridiculous
    - The mouthy sub-PM (Jessica?) is useless
    - Does the other one (can't remember her name) do anything but give disapproving looks?
    - Yer man Dillon got lucky. More interested in the mermaid act and set design than the actual event/business/task aspect of it
    - Not surprised Paul went. Serious chip/anger issues

Very poor candidates/series this year to be honest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

_Jamie_ wrote: »
    My fella also enjoyed her as a mermaid though. :D

+1, best part of the series so far :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Sofiane as team leader and Dylan on his team. Disaster. Dylan going home tonight id say.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The underwater games seems the more interesting so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

There has to be a double firing this week. Both of these are bloody awful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,290 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Is it me or is this year all about the winning team being the best of a bad bunch?

Previous years teams have been quite good, creative, etc. And feedback has been generally positive with the winning team being better than the opposite team.

The show is trying to make it funny by laughing at ideas, the negatives etc.

Anyone else?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Gotta love the criticism of the name of the Badger game. In the gaming industry it's very common to have ridiculous names. Only way to stand out. It's 'Magic Shells' thats crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Sofiane has got to go!Courtney is a very lucky boy,he did absolutely nothing this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Agreed that Sofiane goes, but Grainne is in danger too.

Advertisement