Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apprentice UK 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Great Claude is interviewing next week,ditto Mike Soutar.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,396 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The calibre of candidate has slipped massively in recent years..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Every year we get one interview that is basically Claude beating up a puppy. Which one will it be this year?

I can't decide between Claude/Courtney, or Claude/Alana.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Every year we get one interview that is basically Claude beating up a puppy. Which one will it be this year?

I can't decide between Claude/Courtney, or Claude/Alana.

Courtney for me.If Alana has a decent business plan I think she'll be Lord Sugar's next apprentice.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

lawred2 wrote: »
    The calibre of candidate has slipped massively in recent years..

I think the tasks are getting too hard. How can someone design and build a 3d virtual reality game in one day. The people with the most ambition fail due to the silly artificial constraints in the tasks and are fired in favour of the pessimistic play it safe candidates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

kopite386 wrote: »
    I'm glad Trisna is gone I never liked her and her moods

Yea the face on her as Sugar gave his verdict and then mutters "no problem" as she basically stormed off - not even the decency to thank him for the opportunity - ignorant, spoiled brat springs to mind (topped off by her comments in the taxi).

Good riddance to be honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Trishna without doubt deserved to be fired. They were speaking to a potential client who asked about removing the colour, Frances said they could and 10 seconds later Trishna says to them that they wouldnt want to do that, in no way would they want to remove the colour. What on earth was she thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,886 ✭✭✭sporina

glad Trishna is gone - she has been rude from the start - her and Paul should get together and set up a market stall.
    Morto for Grainne getting pissed.. shame on them..

I would like Francis to win..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

Well that was harsh, Gráinne clearly deserved to be fired based on that task. Just emphasises the fact and highlights the flaw in the format that, at this stage, it's clearly based on the business plans and not the tasks.

Yes, I've been a Gráinne cheerleader but she didn't deserve to stay tonight. Yes, Trishna pitched colouring the gin to her but she could have said no. She was very passive on decision-making. Then getting tipsy at the distillery and not answeing Frances' calls. Then being crap at pitching. She should have gone.

But then, Trishna's team last week won in spite of her, not because of her. She didn't like some of the attributes of the game that actually won it for them.

I actually really liked the other team's gin product. Slight tweaking to the branding and taste was all that would be required to make it very marketable. I liked the name.

I think it will be an Alana/Jessica final. The two most competent people left there.

• Advertisement

Akrasia wrote: »
    I think the tasks are getting too hard. How can someone design and build a 3d virtual reality game in one day. The people with the most ambition fail due to the silly artificial constraints in the tasks and are fired in favour of the pessimistic play it safe candidates

I wholeheatedly agree, I've been saying this to my OH for weeks. Or like the advertising task in every season, usually an advertising campaign would take weeks, if not months to plan. The candidates are making simple errors because they have so much on their plates and are panicking because of that. And the fact that they have to undertake tasks outside of business, like for example, making the sweets themselves this season. The BBC should lay on qualified people to do those tasks. It distracts from the business element of the task.

Ideally, they'd get a week or more to do each task but I guess no contestant can afford to be on the show for 12 full weeks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

For me the biggest problem with the show nowadays is there's far too many contestants to begin with. It's been 18 the last two years, and we had the record 20 in 2014, albeit that was a one-off. Nowadays the first 5/6 weeks serve purely just to get rid of the cannon-fodder, it feels as if it takes ages before some true contenders emerge. In the older series by the time we got to week 3/4 it was clear who the better contestants were, whereas nowadays we have to get about halfway through the series before they emerge.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I'm rooting for Alanna and Jessica to be final two and I'd like to see Alanna win it, at this point - she's not great at the cutthroat aspect of the game, but she's competent and actually comes across as someone you'd be willing to do business with.

If you'd of asked me in Week One if I'd be hoping for an Alanna/Jessica final two, I would've laughed at the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,717 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I'm rooting for Alanna and Jessica to be final two and I'd like to see Alanna win it, at this point - she's not great at the cutthroat aspect of the game, but she's competent and actually comes across as someone you'd be willing to do business with.

If you'd of asked me in Week One if I'd be hoping for an Alanna/Jessica final two, I would've laughed at the idea.

Jessica won't make it, Lord Sugar couldn't stick her. I think Alanna will make the final two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Jessica won't make it, Lord Sugar couldn't stick her. I think Alanna will make the final two.

I think it could be Alana and Frances. Courtney seems to be getting very arrogant now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Grainne has been saved so many times now when she should have been fired that I am convinced that she must have a brilliant business plan. She has a company that provides make up services for film and TV productions and Sugs may well be interested in investing in something in that general area.

*Potential* spoiler about who may win:
    Lord Sugar apparently briefly followed Gráinne on Twitter before quickly unfollowing her. He only ever usually follows the winners of the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Really don't like Frances - Sly cow that one

Courtney would bore his customers to death

I like Jessica, Grainne and Alana in that order

But look, Alan Sugar doesn't give a ****e how well someone can or if someone can make sausages or design a Gin label in 3 hours etc. It's all about the business plan and that's the real reason people get fired. And the real competition begins at the interviews stage

However, the process ends as an entertainment show on the episode before the interviews

So I might and might not bother watching the last 2 episodes,

• Registered Users Posts: 36,258 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Grainne can only be being saved by her business plan. This week was a farce.

The gin colour was Trishna's suggestion, but everyone gives suggestions. It's what you're supposed to do as a member of a team. The PM then makes the decision.

Grainne also couldn't pitch, and had no control over what was going on.

Trishna was bad, but Grainne was the worst by a distance. And it's not the first time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭kopite386

So apparently the gin ended up as colony gin as they had 10 different suggestions but none of them passed legal/copyright
    One of the original names was empire

• Registered Users Posts: 6,886 ✭✭✭sporina

SlickRic wrote: »
    Grainne can only be being saved by her business plan. This week was a farce.

The gin colour was Trishna's suggestion, but everyone gives suggestions. It's what you're supposed to do as a member of a team. The PM then makes the decision.

Grainne also couldn't pitch, and had no control over what was going on.

Trishna was bad, but Grainne was the worst by a distance. And it's not the first time.

Trishna totally contradicted her group in the pitch by saying that the colour of the gin could be changed - so unprofessional to contractive your co worker in front of a potential client.. also what was the racket she was making when Fran was trying to make the pitch? She is ignorant if you was me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

sporina wrote: »
    Trishna totally contradicted her group in the pitch by saying that the colour of the gin could be changed - so unprofessional to contractive your co worker in front of a potential client.. also what was the racket she was making when Fran was trying to make the pitch? She is ignorant if you was me.

She was totally self centred. Manipulated Frances (who should have had more sense) into calling Grainne before the last meeting.

Then in the boardroom said her moods didn't affect her performance. Seemed shocked when it was pointed out to her that her moods might affect everybody else's performance. I would hate to be dealing with someone with that attitude on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I think it's one of the poorest candidate lineups for the final 5 in years.

I dont know how Courtney has made it this far. He is useless. He always looks petrified.

I put Grainne and Frances in for the final.

Alana did well this week. Basically won the task for deer in the headlights PM Courtney :)

Its so funny that no one respects her. Some laugh at the start of the task when Courtney said he'd like someone to check on her during the task.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I dont know how Courtney has made it this far. He is useless. He always looks petrified.

Well he's won 8 out of the 10 tasks and wasn't in the selected bottom 3 of the tasks he lost, so that explains why he made it this far.

I actually think he gets a harsh deal from people. Even on this task he came up with 'giin' which was a decent enough idea, and his backup idea seemed fine as well. His contribution to the tasks has generally been level headed and sensible, but that seems to get roundly ignored by the watchers.
    He'll probably get destroyed next week as arguing doesn't seem his thing, and boardroom bickering will be new for him whereas the rest are old hands now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Well he's won 8 out of the 10 tasks and wasn't in the selected bottom 3 of the tasks he lost, so that explains why he made it this far.

I actually think he gets a harsh deal from people. Even on this task he came up with 'giin' which was a decent enough idea, and his backup idea seemed fine as well. His contribution to the tasks has generally been level headed and sensible, but that seems to get roundly ignored by the watchers.
    He'll probably get destroyed next week as arguing doesn't seem his thing, and boardroom bickering will be new for him whereas the rest are old hands now.

He's the anti-Frances. How many tasks has he contributed to the win?? Zero.

I actually think he gets a harsh deal from people. Even on this task he came up with 'giin' which was a decent enough idea, and his backup idea seemed fine as well.

Actually, I agree, I think his team produced a good product this week. With tweaks, I could see it on off-license shelves. I liked the name, it would catch the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭pooch90

_Jamie_ wrote: »
    According to his Linkedin profile, he went to secondary school in Limerick City so if he lived in a rural location, it can't have been very far from the city. He also went to college in Limerick.

Ah jesus, small rural Limerick! What a crock of BS. Good snooping Boardsies!

Just to remind people that the final will be on Sunday the 18th instead of it's usual Thursday time-slot.

• Advertisement

Just to remind people that the final will be on Sunday the 18th instead of it's usual Thursday time-slot.

Thanks for this, I totally forgot!

Advertisement