Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apprentice UK 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Aw man my sky box cut out just before Alan pointed to the winner!!! I'm delighted for Alana, disappointed I missed the announcement and her reaction though!
    _Jamie_ wrote: »
    Thanks, Beeb, for letting that awards show run over so that the end of my Apprentice recording was cut off. :( I had to google who won. And then of course You're Fired didn't record either as it was moved to Beeb One.
    Me too. :( All because of some stupid awards show nobody cares about.
    Same here.

If you also recorded You're Hired, the end of the show is at the start of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

Same here.

If you also recorded You're Hired, the end of the show is at the start of that.

I only had a series record on the Beeb Two You're Fired. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,886 ✭✭✭sporina

I watched it from recorded and it stopped recording before the end also - but only by a min or so..

Anyway glad Alana won rather than Courtney.. but I have to say that both did well with their pitches. Alana's idea to include her name in the brand was great. I admired how Fran and Grainne worked together. Gosh Oliver is such a plonker.
    But overall is was a really bad line up.
    I think in theory, LS would have liked to pick Courtney but he is like a wee teenager in his room dreaming up ideas as oppose to having anything concrete.

I think Fran was the best candidate but I agree that her business didn't have much scale up opportunities..

I still enjoyed watching it - will miss it now.

Enjoyed the banter on here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Deserving winner in Alana,I think Grainne sumed it up well,she got stronger as the weeks went by and comes across as a very strong young woman

Deserving winner in Alana,I think Grainne sumed it up well,she got stronger as the weeks went by and comes across as a very strong young woman

Alana and Gráinne had a bit of a love-in going on. :pac: Can't believe Alana is only 24! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

They record 2 endings. So it could be anyone.

Where did you hear this? You mean endings where he picks each finalist? To try and prevent leakage of who won?

I'd like to know some insight into the show, e.g.
    Over what length of time is it shot? A few weeks?
    Do the candidates actually live in the house while filming? I presume so.
    How fluid are the tasks? Someone posted that colony gin had 10 other names rejected for legal reasons.
    I always laugh at the morning phone call- you have 20 mins to get ready... Yeah, right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭crazyguy01

dinneenp wrote:
    Where did you hear this? You mean endings where he picks each finalist? To try and prevent leakage of who won?

It's all in his book "my 10 years on television": he recorded 2 endings when the prize was to be his apprentice and until it was actually announced each of the two got a job with him and did not know who won until it went out as the final. I would presume more or less same now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Did anyone else not know until last night that Alana is Welsh? :o She's got no accent!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Alana and Gráinne had a bit of a love-in going on. :pac: Can't believe Alana is only 24! :eek:

OMG, I thought she was 34 :eek:

It says a lot about Gráinne that she was the first picked. I don't think it was because how they got along. She was just the most capable.
    Did anyone else not know until last night that Alana is Welsh? :o She's got no accent!
    Yeah, I didn't know that until last night also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Nua

My series record didn't work! Will it be repeated this week? Glad Alanna won btw

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭ItsChecoTime

Thought Courtney should have won it. Performed better over the series as a whole and had the more innovative and exciting business plan. Fair play to Alana though, great improvement throughout the process

• Registered Users Posts: 10,717 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Thought Courtney should have won it. Performed better over the series as a whole and had the more innovative and exciting business plan. Fair play to Alana though, great improvement throughout the process

I would replace "performed" with "coasted"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Really? How? :confused: We barely saw Courtney, be that because of the editing or perhaps because he didn't do much. Alana literally had a bad couple of first weeks and was pretty flawless afterwards, often being the voice of reason amongst a lot of zany personalities. She exhibited a lot of business sense, something sorely lacking in most of the others. Literally her only weakness was at times not being assertive enough and allowing herself to be talked over.

Really? How? :confused: We barely saw Courtney, be that because of the editing or perhaps because he didn't do much. Alana literally had a bad couple of first weeks and was pretty flawless afterwards, often being the voice of reason amongst a lot of zany personalities. She exhibited a lot of business sense, something sorely lacking in most of the others. Literally her only weakness was at times not being assertive enough and allowing herself to be talked over.

He won 8 out of 10 tasks, two as PM, never brought back into the board room.
    Alana won 6 out of 10, one as PM, brought back into the board room 3 times.

He created winning products in Gordon's lost his badger and Giin.

I don't know how you can say Courtney didn't do much when Alana was regarded by most candidates as being very quiet the first half of the process.

Her lack of assertiveness in the final nearly cost her when doing the branding and being led down the wrong road by Rebecca only for Frances and Gráinne to knock some sense into her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

What I want to know, because it's been bugging me, is how did they not have names for their businesses? The had to produce a business plan so surely they had to use a name there or maybe they had to create a brand new one. Seems strange that they didn't have something already in mind.

Also did they not have to produce a finance section for their business plans, there was nothing mentioned in the interviews when normally that bit gets them tore to shreds over their finance projects (profits of 1M by year 2).

wyrn wrote: »
    What I want to know, because it's been bugging me, is how did they not have names for their businesses? The had to produce a business plan so surely they had to use a name there or maybe they had to create a brand new one. Seems strange that they didn't have something already in mind.

Also did they not have to produce a finance section for their business plans, there was nothing mentioned in the interviews when normally that bit gets them tore to shreds over their finance projects (profits of 1M by year 2).

Think I saw on Alana's business plan the name 'Sugar and Spencer' so maybe they told them to come up with new names for entertainment purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

He won 8 out of 10 tasks, two as PM, never brought back into the board room.
    Alana won 6 out of 10, one as PM, brought back into the board room 3 times.

He created winning products in Gordon's lost his badger and Giin.

I don't know how you can say Courtney didn't do much when Alana was regarded by most candidates as being very quiet the first half of the process.

Her lack of assertiveness in the final nearly cost her when doing the branding and being led down the wrong road by Rebecca only for Frances and Gráinne to knock some sense into her.

Both did very little IMO. Sat back until the end was in sight.

I definitely wouldn't say he won and she won so many tasks out of 10. In most of those tasks they had little to no impact.

The only thing I really remember Courtney for is the Giin product and in Alana's case her facial expressions every time her team were dismissive of her.

I really think that the number of tasks won is neither here not there when it comes to some individuals.. there were too many factors in the mix eg Fran was great but she was on the loosing team loads.
    The Gin storyline could have gone one way or another very easily - One company hated Alan's Raspberry flavour - could not detect it - while the other one loved it. One company bought none while another placed an order worth 3k.
    One has to split hairs when it comes to each individual and weigh up all their strengths/weaknesses.

• Advertisement

I think in a year where the standard of candidates was so low it came down to who made the least mistakes and Courtney was one of those. Thought Trishna should have been in the final with him, she seemed to have some cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,253 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

wyrn wrote: »

Think I saw on Alana's business plan the name 'Sugar and Spencer' so maybe they told them to come up with new names for entertainment purposes

Yeah, I think they wanted both their companies to have a complete overhaul and rebranding for the show to suggest they can make big changes and think outside the new box, new target market too maybe.

Courtneys company website pre Apprentice is here: http://www.bubblegumstuff.com/about

At the bottom is says
    Our company director, Courtney Wood has recently been announced as a candidate to feature on Series 12 of The Apprentice.

I really understood Courtney saying on You're Fired that his better pitching was not just down to the coaching but to knowing his business inside out. When I was in college, I really struggled with public speaking. In my college, every student could avail of up to six counselling sessions free of charge if they ever needed them. Most never do, but when I headed into third year, I knew I'd have to start given presentations so decided to go see one of the colleges counsellors to see if she could help me. The best point she made to me was that the nerves come from fear of making a fool of oneself and the best way to combat that is to know as much about the subject of your presentation as is possible. If you are really prepared, you feel so much more confident. Courtney said that when you've hastily prepared a product in the last day or two, you know very little about it and that's where the nerves came in for him. Makes so much sense.

And that brings me onto a big problem with the show. The timelines they are given to create are ridiculous! For the gaming task, my gaming enthusiast husband commented that a game often takes years to develop. And advertising campaigns take months. The contestants come across as incompetent a lot of the time, but I bet most of them are anything but in their day jobs. On the show, they all have to deal with competing egos, restrictive deadlines, way too many different tasks to be completed in that deadline, the stress of being filmed and mounting tiredness as the tasks rack up. It's probably not a fair reflection of their abilities at all really.

mansize wrote: »
    Tom is my fave ever contest

Lost most of the bs tasks but LS kept him cos his product was genuis

Rewatching that season currently. OMG, I forgot how compelling Jim was to watch! :eek: And yeah, Tom is great.

Both did very little IMO. Sat back until the end was in sight.

I definitely wouldn't say he won and she won so many tasks out of 10. In most of those tasks they had little to no impact.

The only thing I really remember Courtney for is the Giin product and in Alana's case her facial expressions every time her team were dismissive of her.

GIIN was a very good product that I could easily see sitting on an off-licence shelf or behind a bar with a few little tweaks. That was a not inconsiderable triumph for Courtney. And the game idea was as good as a game that took 24 hours to come up with could be. He was also not bad as team leader the first time, and very good the second time.

Alana was very visible throughout the show, I thought. She delivered good pitches, mananged her team well when she was PM and made plenty of good points which, for some reason, were never listened to. Her idea for the gilet ad was a very good one, again like Courtney's good ideas, it was an ad you might actually see in real life. She also did a great job on the GIIN task, she was methodical and asked good questions when producing the gin. It could have been more strongly flavoured but that is something that could be tweaked. She was engaging when pitching in that task too.

Rewatching that season currently. OMG, I forgot how compelling Jim was to watch! :eek: And yeah, Tom is great.

who were Jim and Tom? Can;t rem them.

I wonder how it came about that they had certain fired candidates come back and assist in the final and not others? like Trishna, Mikoi etc were not there..

sporina wrote: »

Tom won it and Jim was a finalist. Northern Irish guy, very persuasive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

sporina wrote: »

I wonder how it came about that they had certain fired candidates come back and assist in the final and not others? like Trishna, Mikoi etc were not there..
    They were in Season 7 and it was the first year of Business Plans rather than an apprentice role. Tom the inventor (he created the curved nail file) was the first winner of BP Apprentice. Jim was a Northern Ireland guy who I think ran fish & chips shops, he had the gift of the gab.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Nua

Repeat is on this Thurs BBC1 00.40 for anyone else who missed Sunday's

• Advertisement

Tom won it and Jim was a finalist. Northern Irish guy, very persuasive.

oh i didn't see any of that series

actually this is really the first one i have watched entirely

Advertisement