Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apprentice UK 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,443 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

_Jamie_ wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree. In real life, you wouldn't be getting repeat business or deals with those tactics. For the purposes of the show when it doesn't matter after the tasks end, yeah, it's grand. But I think people should be able to display solid, legimate business skills that are transferable to the real world. She was pleading and begging. C'mon, that's not good. And I say that as someone who really likes Alana and thinks she has a lot to offer. What she did was beneath her. Ditto Jessica.

But she is already a successful businesswoman with her own company I assume was founded on her current attitude and approach in the real world.

At the end of the day, a result is a result. For a one-off purchase, whatever tactic works. It's not miles away from the "please sell me your item, i only have 25% of the asking price" approach. You use whatever means necessary in a show like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

At the end of the day, a result is a result. For a one-off purchase, whatever tactic works.

Again, I don't agree. It's not remotely interesting or impressive to watch someone basically beg someone to give them a deal. There's no cunning there. It's not a good watch, at least not for me. There have been some genuinely brilliant contestants down the years when it comes to negotiation. This is just pitiful in comparison. What drew me to the Apprentice in the early years (both UK and US) was the sharp contestants. There has been such a degradation of quality in this regard. Shame.

As for the businesses the contestants have; from previous years, I know that a lot of the candidates' businesses aren't that great, or else they wouldn't need to be on this show. Most of the contestants are just fodder. We know she has a business, that's all. Many contestants turn out to have pretty crappy businesses and business proposals.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I really didn't like when Lord Sugar said that being nice doesn't get you anywhere in business to Alana which echoed Karren earlier. I think she's doing well and just doesn't sink to the levels of some of the other candidates.

I didn't like it either. Karen's comment was harsh, bitchy and unnecessary and he just agreed with her. Remember Roisín I think it was(?) flirted a diamond from a dealer for next to nothing. She didn't get a lecture for using her womanly wiles.

Ann22 wrote: »
    I didn't like it either. Karen's comment was harsh, bitchy and unnecessary and he just agreed with her. Remember Roisín I think it was(?) flirted a diamond from a dealer for next to nothing. She didn't get a lecture for using her womanly wiles.

I do agree that Karren has amped up the bitchiness this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

kopite386 wrote: »
    Has Frances been on a winning team yet ?

She hasn't but she does seem very capable and I'd imagine that Sugar sees and hears that. Don't forget, we see a heavily edited version of events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Remember a series or two ago when they had to buy a diamond. One of the girls totally flirted, got stunning discount. Nobody bitched about how she did it...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

dinneenp wrote: »
    Remember a series or two ago when they had to buy a diamond. One of the girls totally flirted, got stunning discount. Nobody bitched about how she did it...

Roisin our very own Irish winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭sporina

yeah maybe Jessica was the right one to go - I am a bit of a softie - but their are others I would like to see gone - like Paul and Sufiane.. Paul is rude!!! He can haggle and moan thats about it. Sufiane is full of hot air.

I am enjoying it but there is no real talent - too many silly mistakes - like they were not very strategic in their task last night - they should have assess the value of the goods and the logistics involved in acquiring them.. I don't know - its like they don't think things through

dinneenp wrote: »

Well, I guess that was a mistake on their part back then. No need to repeat it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

She left with her head high ,more than can be said about more of them

• Advertisement

sword1 wrote: »
    She left with her head high ,more than can be said about more of them

She did, some of the contestants leave looking really petty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Ann22 wrote: »

THB your one sounded like a baby girl doing it. The Irish one was completely different the way she done it.
    _______

Think my favorite episode so far and I am warming to Jessica.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,290 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Even pre results of the task, I can see Gráinne being a dark horse to win it outright (probably speaking WAY too early)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Even pre results of the task, I can see Gráinne being a dark horse to win it outright (probably speaking WAY too early)

Hopefully someone will be able to pronounce her name by the time the final comes around...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,290 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

This post has been deleted.

Massive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Karthik was amazing. One of the funniest and charismatic contestant's of all time.

Pity he was crap at business though. Especially considering it's the Apprentice. Completely incompetent so good riddance and do some crap like panto or something.

Crap at buttoning his shirt too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Thought Samuel did little wrong really. Mustn't have had much of a business plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,360 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Alana was pretty lucky to survive. She's done very little so far apart from make weird faces.

Karthik was terrible as team leader but thought he had a little bit of credit in the bank from previous tasks. I guess the margin of the defeat sunk him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Thought Samuel did little

Fixed your point

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I thought Karthik was a plant,just there to make the show more entertaining

My god he did come out with some lines though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Thought Samuel did little wrong really. Mustn't have had much of a business plan.

TBH he is a bit of a snake. Not a fan of Paul either.

Fireing the K the way he did was brutal but wonderful.

I thought Karthik was a plant,just there to make the show more entertaining

My god he did come out with some lines though :D

Karthik: You want to know how good a project manager I am? I know which hotel my son was conceived in. How many fathers can say that?

I honestly thought I was hallucinating when I saw that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I knew the moment that Special K got the PM job his time was up, but was afraid the 4x jet ski deal would save him.

The firing was indeed a wonderful moment.

I have a couple of problems with it though:
    The double firing meant he got too little time with Rhod on You're Fired. I thought that he came across very well on it as being a likeable, funny guy.
    With him gone, we have nobody delivering any Karthikisms for the rest of the series. Where else will we get our cringeworthy, yet totally off the wall funny comments?
    We don't get to see Karthik v Claude in the interviews, which would have been a car crash of epic proportions.

I know he will be missed for the entertainment he delivers, but as a business based show, yeah, it was time for him to go.

EDIT: Lest we forget
    This is a happy Claude:)
    https://youtu.be/pJYAU9-ixT8
    This is an angry Claude:mad:
    https://youtu.be/D_g76FUB9XU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,443 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Karthik: You want to know how good a project manager I am? I know which hotel my son was conceived in. How many fathers can say that?

I honestly thought I was hallucinating when I saw that.

I think you're missing the most grim detail which is when he rhetorically asks "Now how many parents can give the gift of that info to their kids?"

If that's a gift in the Big K household, Christmas should be cancelled.

He's probably got the project plan of the night printed out, with all the key milestones marked off :eek:

• Advertisement

I think you're missing the most grim detail which is when he rhetorically asks "Now how many parents can give the gift of that info to their kids?"

If that's a gift in the Big K household, Christmas should be cancelled.

I didn't miss it, I just paraphrased him.

To be honest, that shows a level of immaturity which can't be fixed easily.

Incidentally, Roisin was the one who charmed the diamond out of the guy last year. She can now be seen on the new SuperValu advert, she's a food entrepreneur now.

Advertisement