Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norseman 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

There must be another Mods outing due :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

BTH wrote: »
    There must be another Mods outing due :)

If only it was that easy to get an entry!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

they are bringing in the extra entry for failed lottery attempts from this year. first year you get one entry, if not succesful you get two the second year.

entries open in november, half considering putting name in just to get a few entries in a few years when i might be ready for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭griffin100

The Bike channel (464 on the Sky platform) are showing a documentary on Norseman at midnight tonight but they usually repeat these often enough.

cheers for that, caught your post in time to get that recorded. looking forward to watching

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Entries for the lottery open in November, anyone thinking of putting their name in?

considering it. fear is getting lucky on the first shot, which isn't what i want. too big an undertaking unless you knew you were getting the black tshirt

joey100 wrote: »
    Entries for the lottery open in November, anyone thinking of putting their name in?

I'm going to just in case. It'll be my 3rd time trying. I don't hold out much hope

pgibbo wrote: »
    I'm going to just in case. It'll be my 3rd time trying. I don't hold out much hope

bonus is if you don't get in this eyar you get an extra ticket for next years.

we should sort out a mutual support arrangement, i'll do support for you if you get in,and vice versa if i do..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

Gonna try as well. Might as well get one ticket in the draw...

• Advertisement

I'm the same mossy, will put my name in but at same time would probably rather not do it next year. Don't think I could turn it down though if I did get it.

Black T shirt would definitely be the goal but it's all about who else gets an entry and their standard.

mossym wrote: »
    bonus is if you don't get in this eyar you get an extra ticket for next years.

we should sort out a mutual support arrangement, i'll do support for you if you get in,and vice versa if i do..:)

Need a support team of two.......

Is that you offering your services????

Only one according to their manual...

thought it was two, but only one who is designated was allowed to hand you things though. might have that a$$ways though

Only one according to their manual...

Manual recommends two

pgibbo wrote: »
    Is that you offering your services????

Yes

Manual recommends two

Recommends two , requires one;)

Yes

mod road trip is a go!!

here's hoping it's gibbo who gets in so..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

What happens if you get in and don't take it up - is that you shagged for ever getting a golden ticket again, would love to do it some year but deffo not next year, typical me I would probably come out of the hat the first time but would like to increase my chances in future years when kids are a little older

Mods there is a special exemption or there was at least where you can get looked favorably upon if you are working for some type of journalistic platform. Surely being moderators of the largest triathlon platform in western Europe would assist in getting an entry

• Advertisement

Just a bump for this. The raffle entry opens tomorrow (Wednesday) and closes on Sunday. Many people entering? I'll be putting my name in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Just a bump for this. The raffle entry opens tomorrow (Wednesday) and closes on Sunday. Many people entering? I'll be putting my name in.

Entering with the hope i don't get in until 2018.

I'd be the same JB, ideally would like it in 2018, but if I got it for next year I don't think I could refuse it either.

It would be like a thing I'd get it if I entered this year. Think I'll pass as I'll have enough on

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

This race is on a my bucket list, but I plan to do some other "normal" things beforehand :) I didn't actually know you have to go into lottery for it so let me just ask few fast ones:
    1. You actually play lottery for more than one year?
    2. What's the rough chance of getting it?
    3. How much years in advance you can "play for"?
    4. What's the price for getting into lottery?

I'd be the same JB, ideally would like it in 2018, but if I got it for next year I don't think I could refuse it either.

Yeah I'll probably stick my name in with the same reasoning.
    Have awful luck in draws so not worried. Once had 3 entries in a draw with 6 total entries, 3 prizes, and I didn't win a thing:)

@IAceshigh,

Yep it's a lottery system, if you enter this year and don't get in you get 2 entries for next year and it keeps building until you get a spot.

There is about 200 spots open so it really depends on how many enter the lottery but I wouldn't say the chances are that high.

You can enter every year if you want, but once you get an entry you only get one entry the following year.

Price for the lottery is roughly around 10 euro with it going to charity. If you get a slot you need to accept it within a week and pay for it, this is around 300 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Is the lottery entry not open yet? Cannot find a link on the page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Its a great business model/charity fundraiser. For 2016 almost 3100 athletes wanted to race, and there were 236 "draw" slots (assume 3000 of these entered the draw, the rest were elite, sponsors, etc).

So in a regular year your chances of entry via the draw are 236/3000=7.9%
    Using the same figures for the new system, entering each year:
    Year 1: 1x236/3000=7.9%
    Year 2: 2x236/3000=15.8%
    Year 3: 3x236/3000=23.7%
    Year 4: 4x236/3000=31.6%
    Year 5: 5x236/3000=39.5%
    Year 6: 6x236/3000=47.4%
    Year 7: 7x236/3000=55.3%
    Year 13: 13x236/3000=102.7%

So you have to wait 7 years before you have a better than 50/50 chance of getting a lottery entry (and have to pay the lottery fee each year). In the 13th year you are certain to get a lottery slot.

This assumes the same amount of people annually entering the draw- if this place is a snapshot, a lot more people will be entering specifically because of the new system. In which case we are back to lady luck.

• Advertisement

Think it's 9pm tonight, they just had yesterday that it opened today. Open til Sunday though, so plenty of time to get that entry in!

Advertisement