Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I remember (cycling in) Dublin City in the rare aul times... :)

Options
  • 16-09-2016 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭

This came up on on my FB feed earlier, a Safe Cycling film from the 40's (I think). I'm not sure you'd get away with cycling with a ladder these days! I'd forgotten about using the pedal to stand your bike at a curb :) There's a lot of stuff in there still relevant today, including the problem with tram lines!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Seriously Sheila, get your sh1t together...

397104.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

I saw this on the big screen a few months ago in the IFI as part of their Archive programme.
    Was hilarious.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Better than anything the RSA has ever produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Ah the days before high vis and helmets

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I still see people cycling with ladders! And I still use the pedal to the kerb trick, though not so much now I have a kickstand.

• Advertisement

Better than anything the RSA has ever produced.

Giving brakes top billing is definitely to be commended.

I knew that at the time there was no law require tail lights, just a reflector. In fact, in the UK (and maybe here) the rear reflector requirement was quite recent at the time of the production of the fim, and the previous requirement was to have white paint on the tip of the rear mudguard, which you still see today on the older bikes that remain in circulation (and in that film).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

State-of-the-art (1903)

397181.png

Still wondering what 'rat trap' pedals are.

rat%20trap-420x420.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

your missing the toe clips to really make them rat traps

vp365t_p1.jpg

Surprising thing is that I looked up 1910-12 bicycles out of curiosity to see what weight of a bike the grandda would have been cycling, and found the decent road models were around 10kg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

Anyone else recognize the chap on the bicycle lighting the cigarette with no hands on the handlebars ?
    None other than the movie actor John Gregson.

jaqian wrote: »
    your missing the toe clips to really make them rat traps

vp365t_p1.jpg

There's a young (ish) chap 'flies' by here on Sundays on a beat up racing bike, his feet tied securely to the pedals with electrical ties!
    Yes, both feet !
    Passed him today on the Athlone / Birr road
    ****ed if I know how he dismounts !

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

DanMurphy wrote: »
    Anyone else recognize the chap on the bicycle lighting the cigarette with no hands on the handlebars ?
    Well spotted! That reminds me that I haven't seen 'Genevieve' for many years - must see if its on YouTube.

He looked pretty cool. I bet there was a spate of nonchalant smoking-related falls after screenings. The law of unintended consequences.

What struck me was the casual skill of the cyclists. I've never mastered the skill of cycling along while wheeling another bike by the handlebars, yet it was a common site a few years ago when cycling was more the norm.

Edit: sight!

He was also in a film 'playing' in an All Ireland Hurling Final wearing a Kilkenny jersey.
    Fecked if I can remember the name of it.
    Ah yes...Genevieve. Great craic with Kenneth Moore et al.
    Nice fellow, died too young.

Chuchote wrote: »
    What struck me was the casual skill of the cyclists. I've never mastered the skill of cycling along while wheeling another bike by the handlebars, yet it was a common site a few years ago when cycling was more the norm.
    It's actually easier than it looks especially on flat terrain where no gear changes are required. I often did it years ago where I'd cycle somewhere and get a lift home (usually because drink was involved) and the next day I'd borrow someone's bike to go and retrieve my own.

All my Dutch friends can do that trick. Not sure what that means, except that they cycled a lot as kids, and continue to do so as adults.

(I had a quick go one day as an adult, got the pedal of one bike into the spokes of the other, and called it a day after that.)

He was also in a film 'playing' in an All Ireland Hurling Final wearing a Kilkenny jersey.
    Fecked if I can remember the name of it....
    Must be 'Rooney' - (did a check on IMDB).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052147/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_36

Rooney-O, Rooney-O…

• Advertisement

tomasrojo wrote: »
    ....(I had a quick go one day as an adult, got the pedal of one bike into the spokes of the other, and called it a day after that.)
    You have to roll the other bike at an angle.

Yeah, I definitely was doing something wrong!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Ah the days before high vis and helmets
    Ah, the days before 'yiz shud all be in de bleedin cycle lanes'...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Chuchote wrote: »
    Surprising thing is that I looked up 1910-12 bicycles out of curiosity to see what weight of a bike the grandda would have been cycling, and found the decent road models were around 10kg.

Interesting... though I guess they wouldn't have had any derailleur/cassette, etc. Would have saved a bit of weight.

El Tarangu wrote: »
    Interesting... though I guess they wouldn't have had any derailleur/cassette, etc. Would have saved a bit of weight.

I think they had two gears, as far as I remember. No, three-speed:

http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/1909-1911/1909-new-hudson-tourist-roadster-with-armstrong-triplex-3-speed-gear/

(if this is the same one)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

By the bye, if anyone is interested in more old film of Dublin, there is a fascinating channel on Youtube. Its called the Lorcan film unit and presents some uncovered old footage of various parts of Dublin.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5ZPoP7BBTORI-QYcTkFv3Q/videos

Advertisement