Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deal to restore pay for newly-qualified teachers in INTO and TUI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

CWF wrote: »

Predicted this last week
    Perfectly timed
    Can not understand the delay in Asti ballot papers........
    Also the deal doesn't start till January so still a few months to crack the Asti
    Game over now I fear

"Contingent on reform measures".............will be accepted no matter what the measures are
    The measures will no doubt be further erosion of working conditions for the next 35 years of the teachers contracts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

The deal "equalises pay between teachers who started from February 2012 and those who started immediately before them in 2011". It was equalization of pay with 2010 that all post 2011 grads wanted not the merging of 2 reduced salary scales

doc11 wrote: »
    The deal "equalises pay between teachers who started from February 2012 and those who started immediately before them in 2011". It was equalization of pay with 2010 that all post 2011 grads wanted not the merging of 2 reduced salary scales

Ah!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭clunked

km79 wrote: »
    Ah!

Watch the spin though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭CWF

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭doc_17

Does this have to go through a ballot for TUI?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭CWF

Can't see why it would? Pay increase, why would anyone want to decline that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

doc_17 wrote: »

The deal will in effect return the degree allowance to the teachers who have started after 2011. The gap therefore will now just be for the hdip/masters.
    It goes a very long way to pay parity. I'm sure the TUI will continue to fight for that.
    What have the ASTI achieved for their NQTs. Longer CID and now a vastly inferior pay scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

doc_17 wrote: »

May well have to as it is not full parity, which we balloted for. I would however expect it to sail through if that happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭feardeas

Would imagine the ASTI will now have to ballot on LRA again eventually. Otherwise the new entrants since 2011 will be down significantly compared to their colleagues in TUI. Also the CID and lack of increments and no s and s money. The guts of 3k not to be sneezed at.

Good game be the department. Now Winetavern St need to respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Well it's a step in the right direction I suppose, though I'd like to know exactly what it is contingent on.

Not that it matters much to me I suppose. If the TUI tells the members to accept it, they almost certainly will so my vote probably won't make much difference anyway (but I'll still cast it and do so as I see fit, don't worry).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

The Asti just released a statement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

I just heard this on the news on the way home there. It looks like very good progress to me.

I need to read the docs fully but it seems that the TUI have delivered what they said they would in their may agreement.

http://www.tui.ie/news-events/major-progress-towards-pay-equality-for-teachers-campaign-continues-.9048.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

I am unfortunately having poorly timed problems with my eyesight when reading this, no joke, so I would really appreciate if someone could help me out with this.

I am a new Further Education teacher who started this week, and I am expecting to sign a contract with the ETB in the coming days.

Am I right in saying that my salary point was 30,700ish before this news?
    I would be pro-rata of that, not full time.

Can I now just say that I am pro-rata of a new salary scale and expect that any arrears due will be balanced out when this starts kicking in January?

Is the point 1 on the new scale 31,800? What is the deal with the €35,602 that The Journal quote?
    http://www.thejournal.ie/teachers-starting-salary-2982825-Sep2016/

Trust the eyesight to cause a problem just as I get some good news :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

The deal will in effect return the degree allowance to the teachers who have started after 2011. The gap therefore will now just be for the hdip/masters.
    It goes a very long way to pay parity. I'm sure the TUI will continue to fight for that.
    What have the ASTI achieved for their NQTs. Longer CID and now a vastly inferior pay scale.

What about the 10% reduction in pay across the board inforced on post 2011 entrants,having to start a point 1 rather then 3 on the salary scale and of course the demolition of pension rights. Parity will never be achieved.

The ASTI have to look after all it's members not just NQT.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

ROFL at TUI lady on Six One rolling the eyes at ASTI fella.

The ASTI will run out of toys in that pram soon!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Villain wrote: »
    ROFL at TUI lady on Six One rolling the eyes at ASTI fella.

The ASTI will run out of toys in that pram soon!

This is exactly what the DES wants. Give enough crumbs spread out over a couple of years to keep the TUI in line and chip away at the ASTI. What amazes me is the money the DES have suddenly found for these increases. Rumour has I the NPC will be putting pressure on DES to sort Junior cert by Xmas.

Let's see how many ASTI NQT are happy with their senior colleagues keeping this up, money talks......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Let's see how many ASTI NQT are happy with their senior colleagues keeping this up, money talks......

Well if everyone jumped in to LR would the govt have been so quick?look what happened when everyone went along with Hr/ Cp... it wasn't enough.
    I think you'll find resistance talks more than acquiescence.

• Advertisement

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Well if everyone jumped in to LR would the govt have been so quick?
    I think you'll find resistance talks more than acquiescence.

Resistance only works for so long and when you are left resisting when others have moved on it can get lonely!

Resistance only works for so long and when you are left resisting when others have moved on it can get lonely!

My kids get lonely when I'm doing pointless CP evenings to tick a box
    I hope everyone remembers the extra fuss holiday this year, the extra evenings off.........I will NEVER vote for any agreement that brings them back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 teach432

So we have three pay scales: the pre-2011, post-2011 and post-2012. This deal will raise the wages of those on the post-2012 scale to bring them closer in line with the pre-2011 teachers.

How is this not totally screwing the post-2011 teachers (i.e. those on the second scale)?

teach432 wrote: »
    So we have three pay scales: the pre-2011, post-2011 and post-2012. This deal will raise the wages of those on the post-2012 scale to bring them closer in line with the pre-2011 teachers.

How is this not totally screwing the post-2011 teachers (i.e. those on the second scale)?

They're merging the payscales with the dip allowance being the only difference. How is that screwing anyone? Did you read the documents

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Cant understand why Christie didnt throw Irwin under the bus on the 6 1! Bottom line, pay equalisation was not restored. Partial restoration spread out over 2 years, meaning NQTs still haemorrhaging money. 2018 the year Lansdowne ends so yet another chance for a government to renege on an agreement to look forward to again it comes around. And, most unbelievably, this is contingent on further reforms!! Cannot believe the spin and positivity at this.

Cant understand why Christie didnt throw Irwin under the bus on the 6 1! Bottom line, pay equalisation was not restored. Partial restoration spread out over 2 years, meaning NQTs still haemorrhaging money. 2018 the year Lansdowne ends so yet another chance for a government to renege on an agreement to look forward to again it comes around. And, most unbelievably, this is contingent on further reforms!! Cannot believe the spin and positivity at this.

While teachers in the ASTI continue to work on the inferior payscales. And also the buses are on strike today.

While teachers in the ASTI continue to work on the inferior payscales. And also the buses are on strike today.

Hilarious. Sounds like a worker's right to take strike action isnt to everyone's taste. Regardless of sector :p ASTI not the only ones on inferior pay scale, dont forget every teacher who qualified post 2011. Still.

Hilarious. Sounds like a worker's right to take strike action isnt to everyone's taste. Regardless of sector :p ASTI not the only ones on inferior pay scale, dont forget every teacher who qualified post 2011. Still.

Relax will ya, the reference to throwing her under the bus go over your head?

The whole public sector suffered a cut post 2011.

Relax will ya, the reference to throwing her under the bus go over your head?

The whole public sector suffered a cut post 2011.

I got the reference. Pretty clear, as is your attitude towards ASTI's continued dispute with the government / DES, and probably every other union in the same position.

What's your 2nd point got to with with anything? We're no longer in a recession so naturally that 10pc should be restored across the board. But if other unions want to roll over, what can we do? ASTI can only stand up for their own members, incredible that TUI and INTO are willing to settle for anything less than full and unequivocal restoration, and undermine fellow teachers in the process.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

How have you moved on when you're still doing S&S for half pittance and CP for free?
    It's like I can hear the champagne corks popping... for what ? a partial restoration of one sector.

meanwhile :
    All bus drivers are seeking a 15% pay increase over the next three years for drivers and a 6% rise they say they were due to get under an agreement in 2009, but which was deferred.
    .will they get it by 'moving on'?

Advertisement