Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deal to restore pay for newly-qualified teachers in INTO and TUI

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Can someone tell me what happens to a teacher on the post 2012 scale who isn't in a union? Do we move up on the point scale/earn more money per week/just have the degree allowance back? I've been hearing varying reports.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    How have you moved on when you're still doing S&S for half pittance and CP for free?...

I'm not a teacher but my wife is and joined 2011, she is greatful for her job and like many younger teachers is tired of all the older staff cribbing about a few extra hours and days.

The ASTI need to wake up and get into the real world, the boom is gone you can't kick and scream at every change and then expect to get what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what happens to a teacher on the post 2012 scale who isn't in a union? Do we move up on the point scale/earn more money per week/just have the degree allowance back? I've been hearing varying reports.
    Thanks.

It will probably be sectoral rather than based on membership or non membership of a union.

Would you consider spending some of this extra money on Union membership?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭feardeas

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    Thanks.

If it is the same as the LRA it will be dependent on the type of school you work in. A voluntary school will be seen as ASTI and no teacher will get the benefit, same as what has happened in regard to the LRA with no payment of S and S etc, the benefits of the Ward Report. etc.

So let's paint a possible picture. Voluntary school sector: post 2012 teacher, no S and S money, no CID after 2 years, no increment for three years, no renewal of the degree allowance, which is what this amounts to. At the same time down the road in a TUI school all that is being given for CP. A CP that allows for 8 discretionary [non whole staff ] this year and 10 hours [non whole staff] from the next school year on. Given that some of the PTMs [2] are part of it and some of the staff meetings it means that there will be hardly any if any at all of those mind numbing presentations.

Fast forward a while. The Dept have already realised that the posts need to be brought back. They've cleared the ridiculous nature of seniority as being stand alone on points. Merit might count for something [in some places]. The posts are restored in some way. The caveat being that it will be in schools covered by a national agreement. So then there will be no further posts in the voluntary sector and in schools where there is a mix there will likely be open war.

To paraphrase the Bert the mess gets messier and by God that rabbit in the headlights impression that Christie put on on the six one does nothing to inspire hope not mind confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

S&S working out at €37 per hour next year - pittance? We never got paid for CP.

Does nobody in the ASTI understand the principles of negotiation? Both sides ask for something, eventually both sides get close to what they were looking for. This is very close to pay parity. Holding out for full pay parity (which may never come or be very slow) will cost the same LPTs they are representing money and has already taken the security of a two year CID from them.

It seems that the ASTI don't know when they're winning. They won on JC reform and are still objecting (and judging by posts here and elsewhere, with very little knowledge of what they're objecting to). This pay agreement is a win for LPTs. As for CP hours, while none of us are mad about them, a lot of us have got used to them and they're now far more flexible than they used to be.

The Dublin bus drivers will not get exactly what they are looking for. They will negotiate and get some of it, that's how industrial relations work.

• Advertisement

Does nobody in the ASTI understand the principles of negotiation? Both sides ask for something, eventually both sides get close to what they were looking for. This is very close to pay parity. Holding out for full pay parity (which may never come or be very slow) will cost the same LPTs they are representing money and has already taken the security of a two year CID from them.

It seems that the ASTI don't know when they're winning. They won on JC reform and are still objecting (and judging by posts here and elsewhere, with very little knowledge of what they're objecting to). This pay agreement is a win for LPTs. As for CP hours, while none of us are mad about them, a lot of us have got used to them and they're now far more flexible than they used to be.

The Dublin bus drivers will not get exactly what they are looking for. They will negotiate and get some of it, that's how industrial relations work.

The s&s is not dependent on delivery either. You get paid regardless of how many hours you do. Arguably, with everyone in the scheme, everyone should have less to do.

That said it has increased from 37 hours and the old rate was 1700 ish and is now 1600 ish and we need to be available for more periods. In practice though you can't be called for 5 periods in a week.

I only looked at the news now on the player and, to refer to an earlier post, I'm surprised her man from the ASTI didn't look for a bus to throw himself under. It was actually a waste of time having either of them on the news. Irwin is dreadful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

The s&s is not dependent on delivery either. You get paid regardless of how many hours you do. Arguably, with everyone in the scheme, everyone should have less to do.

That said it has increased from 37 hours and the old rate was 1700 ish and is now 1600 ish and we need to be available for more periods. In practice though you can't be called for 5 periods in a week.

I only looked at the news now on the player and, to refer to an earlier post, I'm surprised her man from the ASTI didn't look for a bus to throw himself under. It was actually a waste of time having either of them on the news. Irwin is dreadful.

S&s and CP hrs amount to over 2years extra work over an average teachers work life. Id rather take the financial hit and have 2 yrs work of free time to see my after school, drop them the odd morning to school, plan a coffee or long lunch with my work mates, rather than be at the beck and call of an increasingly bureaucratic management.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

Villain wrote: »
    I'm not a teacher but my wife is and joined 2011, she is greatful for her job and like many younger teachers is tired of all the older staff cribbing about a few extra hours and days.

The ASTI need to wake up and get into the real world, the boom is gone you can't kick and scream at every change and then expect to get what you want.

I think you need to wake up and get into the real world. The world of blatantly unequal pay scales,the world where most young teachers will never qualify for a mortgage, the world where if they hang on for 40 years they'll get out with a pittance for a pension at age 67.

You obviously don't understand that some of us, yes cribbing older teachers, are outraged at these injustices and are willing to face down a Government which couldn't care less about teachers or education. And that's fine if you can't see where we're coming from but it would be nice if you'd stop with the the narrow minded remarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭amacca

In my experience the older staff in any school I was in didn't make too many mistakes no matter how out of touch they seemed, cribbing and moaning aside they knew how to stand up for themselves and that left the working conditions and the school better for all (including students imo).....perhaps, and this is only a suggestion theres some sense underlying the cribbing and moaning?

I'd be interested to fast forward 5,10, 15 years into the future when I believe its likely working conditions will have been eroded even further (if the rot isn't stopped now) and see how your wife feels then if she's still doing the job (see if she's as grateful even if the conditions stay the same tbh) - hell of a thing to sustain the kind of workload thats expected under the teaching conditions encountered now into your 50's never mind 60's

My objection (and my OHs) would have nothing to do with the boom, its to do with working conditions....I see my OH return home frazzled after the the teaching day never mind meetings and all the extra stuff before you even get to CP hrs (which I have to question how beneficial they really are to kids education) + supervising over breaks on some days where you'd normally get a breather or a chance to eat your lunch in a relatively normal amount of time.

She used to take part in extra curricular but has scaled back on it drastically and is thinking of phasing it out altogether, simply because so much of her time is taken up with mostly unnecessary bureaucracy etc - the extra curricular stuff were things that kids enjoyed but went unrecognised at least by the government determined to dole out "busy work" to the "lazy" teachers under a questionable label of "reform" - (another less quantifiable factor in this is the extent of the erosion of goodwill its creating)

Anyway when you say the ASTI need to get with it I think you are right but not for the reasons you think...and its not just them, the TUI and possibly the INTO need to get with it too ...in my book the govt have broken a deal in which teachers have kept their side of the bargain, they have made getting whats owed contingent on signing up to a new deal with no idea of what will have to be rolled over during its term

thats plain dishonourable, underhanded sneak tactics and it should be fought tooth and nail so your wife and indeed every teacher has a job thats sustainable in terms of working conditions (over even an average length of career) as much as renumeration........which in my opinion is also below par in a number of ways compared to the type of work involved nowadays

Careful is all I'd say, all that glitters is not gold (especially in a deal with organisations that play like that)....the trinkets they hand over now won't seem quite as shiny when you have to pay for them repeatedly and once the wedge is driven properly (it probably already is) it can be hard to undo the damage if at all.

A previous poster makes a good argument as well, none of the "progress" made to date would have happened if it wasn't for people objecting and standing up for fair play...and its not all that close to fair play yet imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭2011abc

These boards seem to be lately increasingly likely to be infiltrated by government supporters (I suppose 27% voted for them they must exist )if not direct employees .They have been proven to get up to this sort of thing in past .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

2011abc wrote:
    These boards seem to be lately increasingly likely to be infiltrated by government supporters (I suppose 27% voted for them they must exist )if not direct employees .They have been proven to get up to this sort of thing in past .

Oh, so this forum on boards.ie is only for people who agree with the ASTI stance?

I'm sorry but I am heartily sick of reading your claims that the JC dispute was won by the unions when nothing could be further from the truth. You clearly are a huge fan of this new JC which I think beggars belief. You've already pointed out that the dispute was about not assessing our students for state certification and that has been achieved and yes that is correct. But that was never the only issue.There were several other issues as you are well aware,issues that have not been resolved and therefore ASTI members voted it down as they are entitled to do and I wish you'd respect that.

I have second year English this year and I think the new course is a disaster. Too much material, hugely increased workload for English teachers, most of whom also teach the ever changing senior course and don't get me started on the farce that is outcomes based education! Completely discredited in many countries, dumped as a failure in Australia, South Africa and the US which have all returned to a syllabus approach. Good for you if you like it but ASTI members see through it and fear that the LC will be the next casualty.

And I also take issue with this,
    Does nobody in the ASTI understand the principles of negotiation?
    The ASTI represents 17,000 teachers,do you think we're all thick? And what negotiation? All that has come from the GOV side has been threats and bullying.That is not negotiation. Have you ever heard of collective bargaining? And have you forgotten that many of the injustices such as the new entrants' pay cut came in when union members were straitjacketed in an agreement. Where was the "negotiating" then?

Your union capitulated on everything which in my opinion is very regrettable, but that's what your members voted. Please respect that we voted differently and want to continue to fight against the constant erosion of teachers' working conditions and defend Irish education.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

As for CP hours, while none of us are mad about them, a lot of us have got used to them and they're now far more flexible than they used to be.

While there is pay for S&S there is absolutely no opt out clause without taking a pay cut to basic pay. I have never heard of any type of employment where you take a pay cut for not wanting to do overtime. Aside from teaching.

Getting used to doing CP hours is not a good enough reason for doing them. So many teachers do so many extra hours for extra curricular, practice for orals, even taking students on field trips where they leave the school in early morning and come back late evening. None of those extra free hours are acknowledged. None can be counted for CP.
    acequion wrote: »

I have second year English this year and I think the new course is a disaster. Too much material, hugely increased workload for English teachers, most of whom also teach the ever changing senior course and don't get me started on the farce that is outcomes based education! Completely discredited in many countries, dumped as a failure in Australia, South Africa and the US which have all returned to a syllabus approach. Good for you if you like it but ASTI members see through it and fear that the LC will be the next casualty.

This by a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Jamfa

I'm sorry but I am heartily sick of reading your claims that the JC dispute was won by the unions when nothing could be further from the truth. You clearly are a huge fan of this new JC which I think beggars belief. You've already pointed out that the dispute was about not assessing our students for state certification and that has been achieved and yes that is correct. But that was never the only issue.There were several other issues as you are well aware,issues that have not been resolved and therefore ASTI members voted it down as they are entitled to do and I wish you'd respect that.

And I also take issue with this, The ASTI represents 17,000 teachers,do you think we're all thick? And what negotiation? All that has come from the GOV side has been threats and bullying.That is not negotiation. Have you ever heard of collective bargaining? And have you forgotten that many of the injustices such as the new entrants' pay cut came in when union members were straitjacketed in an agreement. Where was the "negotiating" then?

Your union capitulated on everything which in my opinion is very regrettable, but that's what your members voted. Please respect that we voted differently and want to continue to fight against the constant erosion of teachers' working conditions and defend Irish education.

I have 2nd year English and I can't see where you are coming from with the extra workload. The learning outcomes are the focus and not the content guidelines and without a focus on the need to over prepare students for a predictable exam at the end of 3 years there should be much more time available in 3rd year for new material. You have also simplified outcomes based education to a single approach which it isn't and the NCCA have chosen a very different sytle to the countries you have referenced. I take it you haven't attended any CPD in the last 2 years or availed of the professional time to plan etc. It's really not that much to adapt to and the oral language focus is long overdue.

Jamfa wrote: »
    I have 2nd year English and I can't see where you are coming from with the extra workload. The learning outcomes are the focus and not the content guidelines and without a focus on the need to over prepare students for a predictable exam at the end of 3 years there should be much more time available in 3rd year for new material. You have also simplified outcomes based education to a single approach which it isn't and the NCCA have chosen a very different sytle to the countries you have referenced. I take it you haven't attended any CPD in the last 2 years or availed of the professional time to plan etc. It's really not that much to adapt to and the oral language focus is long overdue.

How have the NCCA chosen a very different style to the countries referenced?

In what way have I simplified it to a single approach? In fact I didn't explain my objection to it as it was only one element of my post so I don't see how I simplified something I didn't explain. OBE is goal oriented and child centred which sounds great on paper but in practice is vague,even dubious . No evidence has ever emerged of its effectiveness but anecdotal evidence from the many countries where it's been tried show a lot of dissatisfaction because of issues such as dumbing down, no streaming, over child centred, over focus on outcomes, increased teacher workload etc etc

So why do we need to go from a functioning system to one which has failed elsewhere? Don't forget that this all started out as a money saving exercise, 27 million to be exact.

And no I didn't attend CPD because I fully support my union's directive. As for planning time, I'm already up to my eyes with all my other classes,especially my Leaving Cert's and it quite frankly galls me to be expected to pour so much time and energy into something that is totally unnecessary and [in my opinion] most likely a change for the worse.

Focus on oral was always being done anyway, ie class discussions and debates.

And you have to be joking when you say that there isn't extra work! The course is different, the focus is different, there are lots of new texts, we have to cover so much more. And that's not even considering the CBA's etc which most likely the Gov will force on us all eventually. And you claim there's no extra work!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Jamfa

How have the NCCA chosen a very different style to the countries referenced?

In what way have I simplified it to a single approach? In fact I didn't explain my objection to it as it was only one element of my post so I don't see how I simplified something I didn't explain. OBE is goal oriented and child centred which sounds great on paper but in practice is vague,even dubious . No evidence has ever emerged of its effectiveness but anecdotal evidence from the many countries where it's been tried show a lot of dissatisfaction because of issues such as dumbing down, no streaming, over child centred, over focus on outcomes, increased teacher workload etc etc

So why do we need to go from a functioning system to one which has failed elsewhere? Don't forget that this all started out as a money saving exercise, 27 million to be exact.

And no I didn't attend CPD because I fully support my union's directive. As for planning time, I'm already up to my eyes with all my other classes,especially my Leaving Cert's and it quite frankly galls me to be expected to pour so much time and energy into something that is totally unnecessary and [in my opinion] most likely a change for the worse.

Focus on oral was always being done anyway, ie class discussions and debates.

And you have to be joking when you say that there isn't extra work! The course is different, the focus is different, there are lots of new texts, we have to cover so much more. And that's not even considering the CBA's etc which most likely the Gov will force on us all eventually. And you claim there's no extra work!!!

Mark Priestly has written about the use of learning outcomes in curricula design & he raises many of the concerns you mentioned but also benefits of adopting the generic approach which the NCCA have used: http://ncca.ie/en/Publications/Other_Publications/A-Perspective-on-Learning-Outcomes-in-Curriculum-and-Assessment.pdf

39 broad learning outcomes over 3 years is a vastly different approach than have 100s which lead to box ticking.

Of course with a new curriculum there will be extra work in the initial years but based on your logic nothing will ever be allowed change include texts etc. The planning time was hard fought for by both unions & includes substitution cover. I can't understand why anyone wouldn't see it as a positive in reducing the workload of a new curriculum.

Schools also have 3 days they can take this year to plan & prepare for the junior cycle. And finally the junior cycle reforms were not introduced simply as a money saving exercise & in their current format they will cost far more over the period of 2013-2025.

Jamfa wrote: »
    Mark Priestly has written about the use of learning outcomes in curricula design & he raises many of the concerns you mentioned but also benefits of adopting the generic approach which the NCCA have used: http://ncca.ie/en/Publications/Other_Publications/A-Perspective-on-Learning-Outcomes-in-Curriculum-and-Assessment.pdf

39 broad learning outcomes over 3 years is a vastly different approach than have 100s which lead to box ticking.

Of course with a new curriculum there will be extra work in the initial years but based on your logic nothing will ever be allowed change include texts etc. The planning time was hard fought for by both unions & includes substitution cover. I can't understand why anyone wouldn't see it as a positive in reducing the workload of a new curriculum.

Schools also have 3 days they can take this year to plan & prepare for the junior cycle. And finally the junior cycle reforms were not introduced simply as a money saving exercise & in their current format they will cost far more over the period of 2013-2025.

39 become 40, 40 becomes 50......latest word is that structural reform of posts will revolve around the phasing out of AP and SDP and replacing with a new generic post(at a lower rate). So it seems this is where they are finding the money.

I think you need to wake up and get into the real world. The world of blatantly unequal pay scales,the world where most young teachers will never qualify for a mortgage, the world where if they hang on for 40 years they'll get out with a pittance for a pension at age 67.

You obviously don't understand that some of us, yes cribbing older teachers, are outraged at these injustices and are willing to face down a Government which couldn't care less about teachers or education. And that's fine if you can't see where we're coming from but it would be nice if you'd stop with the the narrow minded remarks.

A government that couldn't care less about education?? Are you having a laugh now or just trying to wind people up??

Our education system is laughable when looked at in today's context and every time the Department try to modernize it the unions kick up a fuss e.g. take coding that ye managed to reduce to selective subject. As someone in the I.T. sector who try's to hire staff on a fairly regular basis our education system is at least 10 years behind the economy and society.

So maybe when ye stop cribbing about every change and are happy to actually work a proper days work for a decent wage I will stop with the narrow minded remarks.

A government that couldn't care less about education?? Are you having a laugh now or just trying to wind people up??

Our education system is laughable when looked at in today's context and every time the Department try to modernize it the unions kick up a fuss e.g. take coding that ye managed to reduce to selective subject. As someone in the I.T. sector who try's to hire staff on a fairly regular basis our education system is at least 10 years behind the economy and society.

So maybe when ye stop cribbing about every change and are happy to actually work a proper days work for a decent wage I will stop with the narrow minded remarks.

What is this fixation with coding? Realistically how many jobs are there out there for coders as a percentage of jobs? I think someone in the DES watches too much Mr. ROBOT.

Coding is like Latin, love it or hate it. Beating people to make them learn Latin wasn't the best idea ever. Train teachers to teach coding first then of course make it an optional subject. It's not for everyone.

Thus is part of the problem, everyone knows what schools should be doing! If you don't know and you don't know children you don't know what schools need.

• Advertisement

How many today? Thousands but it's not about today it's about the future, coding is just one example, Richard Buruton mentioned computer science as a LC subject which would a step in the right direction.

Never mind your Latin, imagine if Irish was selective and Computer Science was mandatory for a minute? Imagine how that would progress our education system?

Typewriting had its last year as an LC subject this year, 2016!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭2011abc

Only the second time I've added someone to my ignore list here in many years .

2011abc wrote: »
    Only the second time I've added someone to my ignore list here in many years .

Ah I do love mature debate from those that educate our future!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

The narrative is completely wrong, and this is so frustrating to anyone who has a decent sense of economics.

Pay 'restoration' should have never entered the vernacular. It really boils my blood and irks me that we make these horrible mistakes, again. Whether we like it or not like it, teachers were way, way over compensated for many years. There was and is a massive disconnect between what the teaching profession should pay, or could rationally be supported, and what it did and does pay. People are always resistant to change, and change is hard, so we had a real chance to bed down something good here and we right messed it up in favour of the game of politics.

No one here seems to have the balls to stick it to the unions like they need to. And young teachers don't realise this two tier Payscale was union led. Young teachers were sold a right turkey as unions sought to put the head in the sand to reality and cling on to these immoral and undeserved pay & benefits for their older members, opting to defer the pain to the next generation. They then talk of pay 'restoration'. It is completely stomach turning.

Some simple changes that need to be made:
    1. Pay cuts to existing retired teachers pensions
    2. Cut lump sums for next batch of retirement
    3. Revenue transfer from teachers over 35 to teachers under 35 to rebalance the years of inequality
    4. More linkage to performance based pay
    5 Cut pay for one summer month, the salary and benefits are enough already
    5. Implement what's known to those outside the public sector as 'non compete clauses' or 'restraint of trade'. Essentially, any teachers doing grinds must give a minimum 70% of the fee back to the state (before tax to the collector general on the remaining 30%) rather than pocketing it entirely. In the commercial world I can't just walk in to a well developed organisation who has developed itself over many years and with much expenditure, and take their customers for a bit of work on the side. It is utterly shocking that teachers think they can sustain the level of undeserved pay and benefits, and also have this side burner.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭medicine12345

If i was a teacher i would be very happy with this new deal, good work by the unions. Newly qualified teachers now starting on higher salaries than doctors. Broken down into pay per hour work a newly qualified teacher probably earns around 30% more than a newly qualified doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,406 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Can I ask someone familiar with the particular s a question?

As a public sector worker who joined post 2011 and hence suffered the 10% new entrants cut, does this deal reverse that at all for teachers?

I've no allowance losses so I'm wondering if other public sector workers who.didn't. Lose allowances, just the 10% cut, will be able to use this deal as basis for a claim to reverse the new entrant 10%?

If its solely based on allowances then I guess not

myshirt wrote: »
    The narrative is completely wrong, and this is so frustrating to anyone who has a decent sense of economics.

Pay 'restoration' should have never entered the vernacular. It really boils my blood and irks me that we make these horrible mistakes, again. Whether we like it or not like it, teachers were way, way over compensated for many years. There was and is a massive disconnect between what the teaching profession should pay, or could rationally be supported, and what it did and does pay. People are always resistant to change, and change is hard, so we had a real chance to bed down something good here and we right messed it up in favour of the game of politics.

No one here seems to have the balls to stick it to the unions like they need to. And young teachers don't realise this two tier Payscale was union led. Young teachers were sold a right turkey as unions sought to put the head in the sand to reality and cling on to these immoral and undeserved pay & benefits for their older members, opting to defer the pain to the next generation. They then talk of pay 'restoration'. It is completely stomach turning.

Some simple changes that need to be made:
    1. Pay cuts to existing retired teachers pensions
    2. Cut lump sums for next batch of retirement
    3. Revenue transfer from teachers over 35 to teachers under 35 to rebalance the years of inequality
    4. More linkage to performance based pay
    5 Cut pay for one summer month, the salary and benefits are enough already
    5. Implement what's known to those outside the public sector as 'non compete clauses' or 'restraint of trade'. Essentially, any teachers doing grinds must give a minimum 70% of the fee back to the state (before tax to the collector general on the remaining 30%) rather than pocketing it entirely. In the commercial world I can't just walk in to a well developed organisation who has developed itself over many years and with much expenditure, and take their customers for a bit of work on the side. It is utterly shocking that teachers think they can sustain the level of undeserved pay and benefits, and also have this side burner.

Performance related pay? Never has and never will work in an education system that allows choice of schools. Unless every school in the country has the same amount of every socio -economic group and special needs and same level of parents support. I think that's called communism.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭clunked

If i was a teacher i would be very happy with this new deal, good work by the unions. Newly qualified teachers now starting on higher salaries than doctors. Broken down into pay per hour work a newly qualified teacher probably earns around 30% more than a newly qualified doctor.

For starters Medicine person, you get paid while being a doctor in training. As a teacher, you now pay over 12,000 for the privilege. The prospects for a graduating teacher are pretty grim for many with occasional work and a part time contract after that. its foolish in the extreme to compare such diverse professions
    I could go on but if everything come down to a simple yours is bigger than mine it just means that the privileged elites gain at the expense of everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭medicine12345

clunked wrote: »
    For starters Medicine person, you get paid while being a doctor in training. As a teacher, you now pay over 12,000 for the privilege. The prospects for a graduating teacher are pretty grim for many with occasional work and a part time contract after that. its foolish in the extreme to compare such diverse professions
    I could go on but if everything come down to a simple yours is bigger than mine it just means that the privileged elites gain at the expense of everyone else.
    No we dont get paid for being a doctor training? We dont get paid until we are fully qualified...
    Who is the privileged elite? Teachers are the ones earning more for less hours so are tou talking about yourself here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

judeboy101 wrote: »
    39 become 40, 40 becomes 50......latest word is that structural reform of posts will revolve around the phasing out of AP and SDP and replacing with a new generic post(at a lower rate). So it seems this is where they are finding the money.

Not to mind the massive amount of money that will be saved by the SEC. The vast majority of student take around 11 subjects currently for JC. Now the max is 10. I don't really have a problem with this from an educational point of view. But the reduction in subjects automatically means less exams so less correctors needed.

English is one 2 hour exam instead of 2 papers. That cuts correctors in half instantly and costs for correcting that subject in half.

If in time it happens as is planned that teachers end up setting and correcting their own exams that saves the SEC millions

Advertisement