Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass Advice

Options
  • 16-09-2016 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hi,

Have just got a new shed and got some paving done in my back garden - picture attached.

I don't have any kind of green fingers and even hate the basics of mowing the lawn, my intention is to get astro turf but not sure I have the money right now.

In the meantime do anyone have any low cost suggestions to maintain the green/brown bits of my garden. Ultimately I want to prevent any kind of growth i.e. grass, weeds etc. and keep the garden looking neat and tidy until I can afford a more permanent solution.

Was thinking of just digging it up and put down some weed killer down. Will that work??? At a stretch I might buy some cheap roll out grass to do for a few months but I can be pretty certain I wont do that right and it wont take & ultimately will look terrible.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Many Thanks
    Gampdub

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The first thing to say is - don't dig the ground then apply weedkiller. You put weedkiller on growing weeds, putting it on bare ground will not achieve anything, though you could use Pathclear which stays active in the ground. Either way you would be better to kill the weeds and then dig it.

Once you have it level you could cover it with a weed suppressant membrane (buy a good quality one, it will save you heartache in the long run). Then cover with a good layer of pebbles. This would be a pretty much permanent solution.

Or you could level it then cover with a thick layer of wood chips. Suggest you do not put them onto membrane as they slide/blow around on the surface of the membrane. It will be a non-muddy surface which will probably need a dose of weedkiller once a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

If you want to buy a few months you're starting at a good time of the year now coming to the end of the growing season.
    Traditionally winter rows were a great way of keeping the garden right over the winter months.

If this was something that suited you, you could dig the garden, a nice deep dig with a garden fork and when dug form rough drills with a shovel.
    When required level and lay your sod etc.

Advertisement