Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using NI Sterling in London

Options
  • 16-09-2016 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭

I am due to go to London next month. I have approx £60 Sterling in various notes but all from Northern Ireland.

My Husband is saying that I will have problems using them in London and that NI Sterling is not the same as UK Sterling. I have never heard of this. Is Sterling not Sterling ?

If there is going to be a problem can I change them for UK Sterling in a Bank here in the Rep. before leaving ? I arrive in London on a Friday night.

Obviously I can bring my Card and not use this money at all but I would prefer to use it up as we are not often in NI or UK.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Sterling is Sterling is Sterling but in England they use Bank of England issued Sterling notes.

NI and Scottish Sterling are issued by various banks e.g. Ulster Bank, RBS etc.

Whilst all are legal tender, Ni and Scottish notes can and are viewed with suspicion in England as they uncommon and could be refused.

I would swap them at a local bank pre travel for the more common and wholly accepted Bank of England note.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Sterling is Sterling is Sterling but in England they use Bank of England issued Sterling notes.

Whilst all are legal tender, Ni and Scottish notes can and are viewed with suspicion in England as they uncommon and could be refused.

I would swap them at a local bank pre travel for the more common and wholly accepted Bank of England note.

Thanks Strawberry.

Do you think that I could swap them in a Bank in Rep of Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Technically they should be accepted but generally minimum wage staff in pubs and restaurants will be confused and dont want to take the risk.

All the large supermarkets accept them in the self service machines.

But ya, its just easier to try and get them changed.

You could probably get them changed in a republic bank but they will likely try and charge you or just be confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

NI notes are not legal tender. In NI, only coins are legal tender.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Will call into the Bank next week and see what they say. If they seem confused or try to charge me I will just hold onto them and use my Card in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

SusanC10 wrote: »

Thanks Strawberry.

Do you think that I could swap them in a Bank in Rep of Ireland ?
    I would swap them in ROI - Ulster Bank would be probably best but all the ROI banks will be familiar with NI notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Are you flying in OP? Swap them at the Bureo de Change of what ever airport you land at. I always do this without any issues.

They are legal, but as pointed out, they are so familar with the Bank of England issue, they dont always recognise them, or are suspicious. I have even had a high street bank cashier in London, call her supervisor to check them over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

I've been treated like a scammer when trying to use Scottish sterling in London! Also, not sure if this is still the case, but the Oyster card machines would not accept non-bank of England sterling either.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

We had the same isssue in Manchester with older English notes. Just weren't accepted anywhere. Contact a local bank, and they'll swap them with no hassle.

Advertisement