Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your trivially useful pieces of information

• 16-09-2016 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭

We all accumulate tiny bits of knowledge that are occasionally pretty handy to know. So what's your trivial tips.
    Mine are

-Tea, we all know most foreign tea is watery muck that you have to double bag (I'm looking at you PG Tips and Lipton), unfortunately unless your lucky Irish Breakfast tea can be pretty awkward to buy outside big supermarkets. What's useful to know is that Irish Tea is an Assam rich blend, buy some pure Assam tea and it's basically identical.

-Got a new phone or SIM and keep forgetting the number, dial  *#100# and then ring it, it will pop up your number on screen in a second.

-This is an Anti Tip. As far as I know there is absolutely no point clearing cookies before searching flights, it's just w pointless waste of time (open to correction but AFAIK this has no backup)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

It's impossible to balance an iPad on your lap whilst pulling the chimp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

1. Many irish brands are muck
    2. Pretty sure that doesn't work, or at least not on all networks
    3. True

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

More people are killed by kicks from a Donkey every year than are killed in airplane crashes!

Interesting fact that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Phone boxes in large Irish towns are still available to make a call from if you don't have your smartphone on hand. 2 euro to make a call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

It takes two to tango.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Ted111 wrote: »
    It takes two to tango.

But one to spanko.

In 1967, Australia held a referendum to recognize aborigines as people, before 1967 they were classified as flora and fauna, you could kill one for the craic and nothing would happen to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Lefty Loosie, Rightie Tightie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

Masala wrote: »
    More people are killed by kicks from a Donkey every year than are killed in airplane crashes!

Interesting fact that!

Yeah but I can stay well clear of donkeys. If i want to travel anywhere i have to get on a plane.
    ..........There's a donkey behind me isn't there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

13 people die every year from falling vending machines

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

antix80 wrote: »
    1. Many irish brands are muck
    2. Pretty sure that doesn't work, or at least not on all networks
    3. True

2-might only be android
    5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Phone boxes in large Irish towns are still available to make a call from if you don't have your smartphone on hand. 2 euro to make a call.

2 quid for a call :-o that makes me feel very very old!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

If you've got smelly fingers from cutting onions or garlic, rubbing them against steel (the side of a knife, or a spoon) while washing them will make the smell disappear.

If you've got smelly fingers from other things, don't be gloating on here.

Lemon juice will remove tea stains from your cups and your sink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

In 1967, Australia held a referendum to recognize aborigines as people, before 1967 they were classified as flora and fauna, you could kill one for the craic and nothing would happen to you.

This is not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

In an average year more people in the US are killed by toddlers with guns than are killed by islamic terrorism.

Flamingo's produce a type of milk. It's pink.

If you wear red you are about 10% more attractive than if you don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

You can never classify yourself as a Wexford man, unless you have slept with your cousin.

Been here 31 out of my 54 years and I still don't qualify :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Women in Ireland who got married used to get their husband's PPSN number with a W (for Wife) added on the end (losing their own number, if they had one).

Eventually someone decided this was just a bit sexist, and the practice was discontinued. In 2000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭mailforkev

If there's an apocalypse of some sort and you need to find your way around, satellite dishes in Ireland pretty much all point slightly to the east of south.

So face a dish and walk that way to find north.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I honestly didn't know where to put this... But since this is about useful facts why not put it here.

Anyone using WhatsApp and Facebook?
    Well go in to your WhatsApp settings and then account. You'll see something that says share your information with Facebook. Unclick it and do it now ;)

Why? Well if someone adds you to WhatsApp they'll appear as a suggested friend in your Facebook and vice versa (some of you may want to keep your privacy) but not only that they'll use your conversations as keywords to suggest adverts to display on your Facebook.

So if you were ever wondering why a certain advert came up after you were talking via WhatsApp about that to your friend... Now you know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Drink excessively before having to interact with people

I honestly didn't know where to put this... But since this is about useful facts why not put it here.

Well go in to your WhatsApp settings and then account. You'll see something that says share your information with Facebook. Unclick it and do it now ;)

Why? Well if someone adds you to WhatsApp they'll appear as a suggested friend in your Facebook and vice versa (some of you may want to keep your privacy) but not only that they'll use your conversations as keywords to suggest adverts to display on your Facebook.

So if you were ever wondering why a certain advert came up after you were talking via WhatsApp about that to your friend... Now you know.

Thanks for that, fecking sneaky bàstards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

MOH wrote: »
    Women in Ireland who got married used to get their husband's PPSN number with a W (for Wife) added on the end (losing their own number, if they had one).

Eventually someone decided this was just a bit sexist, and the practice was discontinued. In 2000.

It wasn't that it was sexist. There were problems with men remarrying so 2 women were ending up with the same PPs number. Great fun when trying to decide who was entitled to a pension.

El Tarangu wrote: »
    Did you even read your own link?

Yep, it doesn't say you could kill one and get away with it, but it happened a lot before they were recognized.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Replica 8 bit computers like the Commodore 64, ZX Spectrum are readily available in software emulater as well as hardware form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Vinegar cures my hiccups.

Every. Single. Time.
    No matter where I go, I carry a sachet of vinegar in my bag just in case!
    I do get strange looks from people when I drink it but I tell them what it's for and they're amazed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Despite what Facebook says, a hippo's milk is NOT pink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Or more importantly why Facebook is suddenly recommending you be friends with the plumber whose number is in your phone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Grayson wrote: »
    In an average year more people in the US are killed by toddlers with guns than are killed by islamic terrorism.

Flamingo's produce a type of milk. It's pink.

If you wear red you are about 10% more attractive than if you don't.

An apostrophe is never used for plurals in English but to denote possession so it should be flamingos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I learnt a couple of years ago that the symbol on a car dashboard for the petrol tank shows a petrol pump and whatever side the hose is on denotes the side of the car the petrol cap is on so you know which side to drive the car in at a petrol station.

Very handy in a strange/new car and I have found it to be true in every car I have been in since learning it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Butter is great for getting paint off your hands.

Sugar is great for closing up a wound.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

murpho999 wrote: »
    I learnt that a couple of years ago that the symbol on a car dashboard for the petrol tank shows a petrol pump and whatever side the hose is on denotes the side of the car the petrol cap is on so you know which side to drive the car in at a petrol station.

Very handy in a strange/new car and I have found it to be true in every car I have been in since learning it.
    Not mine and it's not a given, though widely believed. It may be more a given in the last few years mind you.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

murpho999 wrote: »
    I learnt a couple of years ago that the symbol on a car dashboard for the petrol tank shows a petrol pump and whatever side the hose is on denotes the side of the car the petrol cap is on so you know which side to drive the car in at a petrol station.

Some cars have an arrow on the fuel gauge that points to where the filler cap is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

A metre is one ten-millionth of the distance of the North Pole to the Equator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A litre is the volume of a cube with 10cm sides. One litre of water weighs a kilogramme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Heroin is less harmful than Alcohol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

All polar bears are left handed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

No it's not!

Many Aborigines died to bring us this information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

kleefarr wrote: »
    Heroin is less harmful than Alcohol.

I'm calling your bluff on this one. I'll take an ounce of alcohol and you take an ounce of heroin.

We can post our findings here in an hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

"Dog food lid" spelled backwards is "Dildo of God"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

An oz of heroin will probably give you an arse like Kim kardashian with all the squats you'd be doing though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Every plant/flower/tree on the planet shares some common DNA except corn plants (as in sweetcorn).

It is unique and nobody knows were it came from.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

mfceiling wrote: »
    All polar bears are left handed.

If I'm being mauled by a polar bear I don't think I'll really care what hand he's using!

A pig's orgasm lasts 30 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

That was the case in 1793 but it has been redefined several times since. In 1960, for example, the metre was redefined as a certain number of wavelengths of an emission line of krypton-86. In 1983 a metre was most recently defined as the distance travelled by light in a vacuum, in a specific fraction (1/299,792,458) of a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭md23040

If you want a really good service in a restaurant then tip at the start of the meal since what's the point in doing so at the end.

Also if you are on the main road and are 60 kilometres from home its easy to work out that it'll take 36 minutes thereabouts to get home or 120 kilometres will take 1 hour 12 minutes thereabouts. Substitute your distance from home as a percentage of an hour

60% of an hour = 36 minutes

120% of an hour = 1 Hour (100) and 20% of an hour (12 minutes)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

If you're watching TV and see a small box appear in the top right corner with vertical white & black bars, it usually means an ad break is coming up in 1 minute. So you should mentally prepare yourself to make the dash to the loo/kettle.

You get it often enough on ITV channels, although these days it's normally only used on live tv broadcasts. They use it because ad breaks are played out by the regional broadcast centres e.g. UTV, (they have different ads in different regions) so they need to give them the heads up to have the ads ready to go. It's pretty old school!

md23040 wrote: »
    If you want a really good service in a restaurant then tip at the start of the meal since what's the point in doing so at the end.

Also if you are on the main road and are 60 kilometres from home its easy to work out that it'll take 36 minutes thereabouts to get home or 120 kilometres will take 1 hour 12 minutes thereabouts. Substitute your distance from home as a percentage of an hour

60% of an hour = 36 minutes

120% of an hour = 1 Hour (100) and 20% of an hour (12 minutes)

? I'm an engineer, and you sound like a miser,no offense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

One of the Bee Gee's was buried with a Father Ted boxset in his coffin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement