Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your trivially useful pieces of information

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

md23040 wrote: »
    If you want a really good service in a restaurant then tip at the start of the meal since what's the point in doing so at the end.

Also if you are on the main road and are 60 kilometres from home its easy to work out that it'll take 36 minutes thereabouts to get home or 120 kilometres will take 1 hour 12 minutes thereabouts. Substitute your distance from home as a percentage of an hour

60% of an hour = 36 minutes

120% of an hour = 1 Hour (100) and 20% of an hour (12 minutes)

They already have your tip, which table becomes a priority? Not yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

murpho999 wrote: »
    An apostrophe is never used for plurals in English but to denote possession so it should flamingos.

Flamingos is not a verb.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

No it is not they had the vote from 1962.

The real facts https://www.creativespirits.info/aboriginalculture/history/australian-1967-referendum#toc0

In fact the original constitution was drafted so as to exclude discrimination.

Cops' orgasm durations are in the normal human range, therefore cops are not pigs.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Orange the name for the fruit came before orange the name for the colour.

The cock came before the chicken or the egg.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Also if you are on the main road and are 60 kilometres from home its easy to work out that it'll take 36 minutes thereabouts to get home or 120 kilometres will take 1 hour 12 minutes thereabouts. Substitute your distance from home as a percentage of an hour

Equation needs more speed... Dame St.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

maudgonner wrote: »
    If you're watching TV and see a small box appear in the top right corner with vertical white & black bars, it usually means an ad break is coming up in 1 minute. So you should mentally prepare yourself to make the dash to the loo/kettle.

You get it often enough on ITV channels, although these days it's normally only used on live tv broadcasts. They use it because ad breaks are played out by the regional broadcast centres e.g. UTV, (they have different ads in different regions) so they need to give them the heads up to have the ads ready to go. It's pretty old school!

Long before TV, this used to be used in the cinema. It was a visual reminder for the projectionist that a film reel change was coming up and to have the new reel ready and waiting. You still see it in old films that haven't been remastered but yeah, you do see it a lot on ITV channels that broadcast regionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

When in an elevator and your in a hurry, don't wait for the door to close automatically, just press the button that has this symbol

>|<

which you will find in every elevator

instead of standing there like a lemon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Americans call lifts elevators...
    following on from post 60.

The sky is not really blue, its grey.
    Ireland is the 3rd largest island in Europe.
    Fasts runners have long feet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Spring forward, fall back.

An easy way to remember which way to change the clocks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

learn_more wrote: »
    When in an elevator and your in a hurry, don't wait for the door to close automatically, just press the button that has this symbol

>|<

I addition, after you select the floor you want.

Press and hold >|< for 3 seconds and it will go straight to that floor instead of stopping for other suckers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

You can manually wind on a cassette tape by sticking a Biro through one of the holes on it.

Data Recovery can be performed from some scratched cd's by getting a new toothbrush with a modest amount of toothpaste and rubbing it methodically over the surface of the CD. Then drying the whole CD off and putting it in the drive.
    Success not guaranteed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

>|<

I'm often surprised at how few people know this whilst they do know what the open doors buttton means and does.

I suppose it's like how some people know the diffference between "your" and "you're".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

LordSutch wrote:
    The sky is not really blue, its grey. Ireland is the 2nd largest island in Europe. Fasts runners have long feet!

Iceland is in Europe though? It looks bigger than Ireland on the map - unless that is just distorted by Mercator projection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Hunchback wrote: »
    Iceland is in Europe though? It looks bigger than Ireland on the map - unless that is just distorted by Mercator projection?

Yes indeed, my mistake > Ireland is the 3rd largest island in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

LordSutch wrote: »
    Yes indeed, my mistake > Ireland is the 3rd largest island in Europe.

Continents are such a vague terms that things like in Europe can include places such as Israel, Iceland, Turkey and Russia which extends to the Pacific

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

I learnt a couple of years ago that the symbol on a car dashboard for the petrol tank shows a petrol pump and whatever side the hose is on denotes the side of the car the petrol cap is on so you know which side to drive the car in at a petrol station.

Very handy in a strange/new car and I have found it to be true in every car I have been in since learning it.

There's a little arrow beside the petrol pump on dash pointing to the side where you need to fill up. Really handy tip for rental cars, in particular!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Why? Well if someone adds you to WhatsApp they'll appear as a suggested friend in your Facebook and vice versa (some of you may want to keep your privacy) but not only that they'll use your conversations as keywords to suggest adverts to display on your Facebook.
    Maybe I like my ads to be relevant.
    I learnt a couple of years ago that the symbol on a car dashboard for the petrol tank shows a petrol pump and whatever side the hose is on denotes the side of the car the petrol cap is on so you know which side to drive the car in at a petrol station.
    I hope this is true, how can they stop me from trying to change gear in an automatic?
    prinzeugen wrote: »
    Every plant/flower/tree on the planet shares some common DNA except corn plants (as in sweetcorn).

It is unique and nobody knows were it came from.
    Corn is basically a type of grass. I can't find any page that corroborates this fact, where did it come out of?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

ScumLord wrote: »
    Maybe I like my ads to be relevant.

I hope this is true, how can they stop me from trying to change gear in an automatic?

Corn is basically a type of grass. I can't find any page that corroborates this fact, where did it come out of?

http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/selection/corn/

"Through the study of genetics, we know today that corn's wild ancestor is a grass called teosinte. Teosinte doesn't look much like maize, especially when you compare its kernals to those of corn. But at the DNA level, the two are surprisingly alike."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Harvey Normal

Continents are such a vague terms that things like in Europe can include places such as Israel, Iceland, Turkey and Russia which extends to the Pacific

Israel definitely isn't included (the Eurovision isn't an accurate geographical metric) and Russia isn't all in Europe, nor is turkey.

That was the case in 1793 but it has been redefined several times since. In 1960, for example, the metre was redefined as a certain number of wavelengths of an emission line of krypton-86. In 1983 a metre was most recently defined as the distance travelled by light in a vacuum, in a specific fraction (1/299,792,458) of a second.

That didn't change the length of the metre though, just a more universal way of definition, so the original definition still stands unless it was inaccurate to begin with.

If you want a really good service in a restaurant then tip at the start of the meal since what's the point in doing so at the end.

This works only if you are travelling at 100km.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Very handy in a strange/new car and I have found it to be true in every car I have been in since learning it.

Nope. It's not universal. I believed it till I had a hired car. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

The average IQ in Ireland is slightly lower than in most countries. Through all those historical periods of emigration those who left were the ones who were most likely to succeed elsewhere - our best and brightest. The ones who stayed, our forefathers, were the blunter tools in the drawer. We are therefore a bit thicker than we would otherwise be.

I have no evidence of this, obviously, I just remember reading it somewhere and liked it.

The hot tap is on the left and the cold tap is on the right. This is a safety feature as more people are right-handed. It means you are less likely to scald yourself. And to waste the hot water. If your taps aren't like this they're plumbed wrong. And I don't want any plumbers to come along disagreeing with me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

The hot tap is on the left and the cold tap is on the right. This is a safety feature as more people are right-handed. It means you are less likely to scald yourself. And to waste the hot water. If your taps aren't like this they're plumbed wrong. And I don't want any plumbers to come along disagreeing with me.

The reason is not to avoid scalding. It is to avoid damage to the appliance. the bath or handbasin may be damage by being hit with hot water when the appliance itself is cold. If the cold goes in first it protects the appliance since the hot water hits the cold water and not the appliance.

The average IQ in Ireland is slightly lower than in most countries. Through all those historical periods of emigration those who left were the ones who were most likely to succeed elsewhere - our best and brightest. The ones who stayed, our forefathers, were the blunter tools in the drawer. We are therefore a bit thicker than we would otherwise be.

I have no evidence of this, obviously, I just remember reading it somewhere and liked it.

Slightly less than Europeans.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Ok so i thought this was soooo obvious but i said this to my roommate and he said he had no idea!

If you relax your sphincter when farting the fart comes out quieter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

Zaph wrote: »
    If I'm being mauled by a polar bear I don't think I'll really care what hand he's using!

A pig's orgasm lasts 30 minutes.

Hmm, you don't care about polar bears hands but you care how long a pigs orgasm lasts :D are you David Cameron??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

>|<

Don't know about Ireland but in the US most close door buttons don't actually work. They are there for maintenance crews and only work with a key.
    https://www.mainstreet.com/article/5-things-you-think-work-actually-don-t/page/2

Having said that, in the last place I worked in Ireland the close door button actually worked.

Separate fact. There's a fixed length of time that pedestrian lights turn green and amber. Ever notice that the little man turns green and then nearly immediately turns amber/yellow? The amount of time it turns yellow is determined by the width of the road and the length of time it's green is fixed.
    The green light usually appears for 6 seconds and is an invitation for pedestrians to cross the road. According to the Traffic Management Guidelines, the amber signal varies with road width, remaining on for 1 second for each 1.2 metres of road width. Therefore, wider roads have a longer amber light duration but the green light remains at 6 seconds regardless of road width (see Figure 3.1). The amber light indicates that pedestrians should continue to cross the road if they have already started but that they should not start to cross.

From this report

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

4ensic15 wrote: »
    The reason is not to avoid scalding. It is to avoid damage to the appliance. the bath or handbasin may be damage by being hit with hot water when the appliance itself is cold. If the cold goes in first it protects the appliance since the hot water hits the cold water and not the appliance.

That sounds like total rubbish to me and I don't see how any ceramic basin or metal sink could be damaged by hot water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Israel definitely isn't included (the Eurovision isn't an accurate geographical metric) and Russia isn't all in Europe, nor is turkey.

They are included in terms of soccer and some other organisations. Russia and Turkey are generally included as European

Rachiee wrote: »
    Ok so i thought this was soooo obvious but i said this to my roommate and he said he had no idea!

If you relax your sphincter when farting the fart comes out quieter

I would think that if you did that, you would be more likely to follow through. I do not plan to test my theory...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Esel wrote: »
    Flamingos is not a verb.

Flamingos (v)

Thomas flamingos Jenny behind the bike shed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

4ensic15 wrote:

What did I say about not being contradicted?!

Sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

The day before Martin Luther King was shot, during his 'I have a dream' speech, he told people to go out and tell their neighbours not to buy Coca-Cola.

Cher used to babysit Anthony Kiedis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

That was the case in 1793 but it has been redefined several times since. In 1960, for example, the metre was redefined as a certain number of wavelengths of an emission line of krypton-86. In 1983 a metre was most recently defined as the distance travelled by light in a vacuum, in a specific fraction (1/299,792,458) of a second.

You must be great craic on a night out!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Female kangaroos have three vaginas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

But only one opening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Snugglebunnies

You can't high five a t-rex because they're all dead

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mailforkev wrote: »
    If there's an apocalypse of some sort and you need to find your way around, satellite dishes in Ireland pretty much all point slightly to the east of south.

So face a dish and walk that way to find north.
    You can also use TV aerials. Though in West Dublin Kippure is the same direction as the Astra Satellite so not that useful to triangulate where your are.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I learnt a couple of years ago that the symbol on a car dashboard for the petrol tank shows a petrol pump and whatever side the hose is on denotes the side of the car the petrol cap is on
    One of my pet hates is finding the petrol cap unlock button in hire cars.

Special hate for those who hide the cap behind the number plate. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

One of my pet hates is finding the petrol cap unlock button in hire cars.

Special hate for those who hide the cap behind the number plate. :mad:

Speaking of which, if you are ever unsure which side of your car the petrol tank is on, the fuel gauge has a little arrow (more of a triangle really) point to either the left or right side of your car, so you know which side to pull up to the pump at.

See attached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

The thread is meant to be about useful pieces of information. It worries me that this might be useful information to you Pete.
    But only one opening.

Also worried about Ivy. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

'Bungalow' is much handier than saying 'single storey dwelling'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

'Bungalow' is much handier than saying 'single storey dwelling'.

The origin/etymology of the word is rather interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bungalow#Etymology

The term originated in India, deriving from the Gujarati બંગલો baṅgalo, meaning "Bengali" and used elliptically for a "house in the Bengal style".[1] This Asian architectural form and design originated in the countryside of Bengal region in South Asia. Such houses were traditionally small, only one storey and detached, and had a wide veranda.[2] The term was first found in English from 1696, where it was used to describe "bungales or hovells" in India for English sailors of the East India Company.[3] Later it became used for the spacious homes or official lodgings of officials of the British Raj, and was so known in Britain and later America, where it initially had high status and exotic connotations, and began to be used in the late 19th century for large country or suburban houses built in an Arts and Crafts or other Western vernacular style—essentially as large cottages, a term also sometimes used.[4] Later developers began to use the term for smaller houses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭PlamenDon

The word "boycott" originated in Ballinrobe, Co. Mayo.

John Coffee built the jail in Dundalk in 1853. He went bankrupt while building it and became the first inmate in his own prison.

In 1976 the Irish Government was rapped on the knuckles for failing to comply with the European Economic Community guidelines by implementing the agreed sex equality legislation.
    The Irish Government immediately advertised to fill the position of an equal pay enforcement officer. The advertisement offered different salaries for men and women.

The guillotine was used by the Irish 500 years before the French adopted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Parliament brought the funk.

Which one do you recommend?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
Advertisement