Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your trivially useful pieces of information

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Esel wrote: »
    Which one do you recommend?

Which kangaroo? Much of a muchness really...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭PlamenDon

Dublin Mean Time was 25 minutes and 21 seconds behind the local time in Britain, GMT

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

keith16 wrote: »
    Speaking of which, if you are ever unsure which side of your car the petrol tank is on, the fuel gauge has a little arrow (more of a triangle really) point to either the left or right side of your car, so you know which side to pull up to the pump at.

See attached.
    Just drive a Jaguar XJS.

It has a fuel cap on both sides.

Which is very handy as some early Jags were so badly tuned leaving the factory they had very , very low MPG.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

JCB make big yellow diggers. They tried making a car once.

It got 11 MPG

at 350 mph / 563 Km/h :cool:

PlamenDon wrote: »
    Dublin Mean Time was 25 minutes and 21 seconds behind the local time in Britain, GMT
    Before the founding of the state Dunsink Observatory had a master clock wired by the telephone system to other clocks all around Dublin so they were all synchronised. After the founding of the state phone charges went up so it was discontinued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

In 1967, Australia held a referendum to recognize aborigines as people, before 1967 they were classified as flora and fauna, you could kill one for the craic and nothing would happen to you.

Is that seriously true? Thats absolutely insane..1967

EDIT: Just looked it up, its a myth. The referendum was not about that. There was never a flora and fauna act, it was about counting aborigines in the census differently, and aborigines were counted as people before then..so you couldn't shoot them and get off scot-free. Don't understand how such a strange rumour could have ever started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

ScumLord wrote: »

Corn is basically a type of grass. I can't find any page that corroborates this fact, where did it come out of?

Corn is not a grass. Its not a fruit and its not a veg.

My college lecturer told us this while studying horticulture. He once worked for British Seed Houses and could pull a lump of grass from anywhere and tell us the latin names for every blade.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

The superstition that if you broke a mirror equated to 7 years bad luck derived from ancient times where if a servant broke their master's mirror it would take 7 years wages to replace it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Corn is not a grass. Its not a fruit and its not a veg.

My college lecturer told us this while studying horticulture. He once worked for British Seed Houses and could pull a lump of grass from anywhere and tell us the latin names for every blade.

Yes it is a grass. It's one member of the Graminae family (the grass family, which includes wheat, rice and barley too, among thousands of other species). I seriously doubt your lecturer told you it wasn't a grass.
    EDIT and on the DNA thing, maybe he meant a specific piece of the DNA? Because of course maize shares some of it's DNA with other organisms. (In part of my doctorate, I compared DNA sequences of lots of grass species, including maize, and yes, they shared DNA.)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The Greenland Shark is the one of the oldest living lifeforms on this planet.

This summer Marine scientists in the Arctic corralled a group of females and did Carbon dating on their eyes. The eldest of the group was nearly 400 years of age.

It was always known that they had massive lifespans but the extent of which was not known.

Giant Tortoises live incredible lifespans also.

The longest of the mammals is the Bowhead Whale. Their lifespane tends to range between 150 to 200 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

md23040 wrote: »
    Of course that's the case based at 100kph. But because kilometres are metric it is possible to then apply time of arrival to any speed.

In the case of above, if you're 60km from home then based at

100km it will take 36 minutes but if you average speed on a country road was either 70km/h or 80km/h then

36 minutes divided by .7 (average speed 70 km/h) = 51.5 minutes
    36 minutes divided by .8 (average speed 80 km/h)= 45 minutes

120 km from home will take you

1hour 12 minutes - 72mins divided by .7 (average speed 70 km/h) = 103 minutes or 1 Hour 43 minutes

1hour 12 minutes - 72 minutes divided by .8 (average speed 80 km/h) = 90 minutes or 1 hour 30 minutes

You can choose any average speed accordingly. Somebody might have an easier solution to work out (without GPS that isn't overly accurate)

Reading this can give you a headache :p:o:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Robert Mallett started his experiments concerning Seismology, on Killiney beach, South County Dublin, in the early 1800s, it took another 50 years before a certain Mr. Richter, stole his thunder, so to speak.

RTE Radio 1 had a good feature on Robert Mallett, back in 2012, I don't know if there are active podcast links though.

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/the-history-show/programmes/2012/0520/351022-historyshow/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

In the Dutch version of Sesame Street, Big Bird is blue (and isn't actually called Big Bird).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

pajor wrote: »
    In the Dutch version of Sesame Street, Big Bird is blue (and isn't actually called Big Bird).

I remember that when I was in Holland, and he actually keeps changing colours. I heard them all do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Strawberries are not actually classed as true berries,bananas however,are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

The original IBM PC 5150 XT motherboard had a socket enabling data to be loaded by cassette tape. The corresponding tape recorders had to have this socket as well this is not the 3.5mm socket but an earlier standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Zaph wrote: »
    mfceiling wrote: »
    All polar bears are left handed.

If I'm being mauled by a polar bear I don't think I'll really care what hand he's using!

A pig's orgasm lasts 30 minutes.

Under what circumstances have you found that you cared about how long a pigs orgasm would last?
    Was it a loving relationship or a two ships in the night scenario?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

GTA the game is not made in USA as lots of people think, but in the UK.

GTA 5 grossed £1,000,000,000 (£1Bn) in it's first three days after release.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

maudgonner wrote: »
    If you're watching TV and see a small box appear in the top right corner with vertical white & black bars, it usually means an ad break is coming up in 1 minute. So you should mentally prepare yourself to make the dash to the loo/kettle.

You get it often enough on ITV channels, although these days it's normally only used on live tv broadcasts. They use it because ad breaks are played out by the regional broadcast centres e.g. UTV, (they have different ads in different regions) so they need to give them the heads up to have the ads ready to go. It's pretty old school!

Yep...called a "cue dot"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

On September 13th, 2005, an in-game bug in World of Warcraft spread like a plague throughout the game, killing players in massive numbers. This was on such a scale that the conditions and reactions of the event attracted the attention of epidemiologists for its implications of how human populations could react to a real-world epidemic.

It's since been used as a model for Terrorism research and real-world Epidemic research!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrupted_Blood_incident

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

MagicIRL wrote: »
    On September 13th, 2005, an in-game bug in World of Warcraft spread like a plague throughout the game, killing players in massive numbers. This was on such a scale that the conditions and reactions of the event attracted the attention of epidemiologists for its implications of how human populations could react to a real-world epidemic.

It's since been used as a model for Terrorism research and real-world Epidemic research!

That was fun. Absolute chaos ingame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

On average a human adult consumes 16 pubic hairs a year from takeaway and restaurant meals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Steve F wrote:
    Yep...called a "cue dot"

In the cinema, you sometimes see a white circle appear briefly in the top right corner. This was a cue to the worker in the projection boot that the current reel is about to finish and the next reel should be readied. Not sure if the still use it, being the digital age and all....

On average a human adult consumes 16 pubic hairs a year from takeaway and restaurant meals.

Are they frying chips in their jocks or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Ted111 wrote: »

dont be silly. there is no way that jocks are a suitable container for frying in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

In the cinema, you sometimes see a white circle appear briefly in the top right corner. This was a cue to the worker in the projection boot that the current reel is about to finish and the next reel should be readied. Not sure if the still use it, being the digital age and all....

No, cinemas mostly use digital now.

dont be silly. there is no way that jocks are a suitable container for frying in.

I use a frying pan myself.
    I also have an actifry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Mickey Mouse was originally called Mortimer Mouse. They changed because they thought it sounded a bit pretentious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

That's what you get for eating out. ;)

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Masala wrote: »
    More people are killed by kicks from a Donkey every year than are killed in airplane crashes!

Interesting fact that!

Ehh what are they doing to said donkey at the time ?
    The average IQ in Ireland is slightly lower than in most countries. Through all those historical periods of emigration those who left were the ones who were most likely to succeed elsewhere - our best and brightest. The ones who stayed, our forefathers, were the blunter tools in the drawer. We are therefore a bit thicker than we would otherwise be.

I have no evidence of this, obviously, I just remember reading it somewhere and liked it.

The hot tap is on the left and the cold tap is on the right. This is a safety feature as more people are right-handed. It means you are less likely to scald yourself. And to waste the hot water. If your taps aren't like this they're plumbed wrong. And I don't want any plumbers to come along disagreeing with me.

I have seen a fair few taps wrong way round so what does that say about the IQ of the plumbers ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

On a wrist watch (or any clock actually) that has Roman Numerals as its display on the face - the Number 4 is always displayed as 'IIII' rather that the pure Roman Numeral of 'IV'.

On a wrist watch (or any clock actually) that has Roman Numerals as its display on the face - the Number 4 is always displayed as 'IIII' rather that the pure Roman Numeral of 'IV'.

its a nice story but its not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

don't test me :D , that's actually pretty cool

http://images.asos-media.com/inv/media/4/4/8/3/4093844/black/image1xxl.jpg

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

its a nice story but its not true.

I could stand corrected...am not infallible!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

silverharp wrote: »

The interesting thing about watch advertisements is that the time shown is always 10:10 or sometimes 1:50 when it's analog because at these times the hands make the watch face look like a smiley face.

One of the psychological advertising tricks that's been going for decades. There have been occasions of people going deliberately against it but trust me, keep an eye on billboards and magazine watch ads and you'll see the time set at 10 past 10

;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭Kadser

In an old war movie called Hasty heart someone says "Yank knows a bit about politics". Then Ronald Reagan sticks his head in the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

8-10 wrote: »
    The interesting thing about watch advertisements is that the time shown is always 10:10 or sometimes 1:50 when it's analog because at these times the hands make the watch face look like a smiley face.

One of the psychological advertising tricks that's been going for decades. There have been occasions of people going deliberately against it but trust me, keep an eye on billboards and magazine watch ads and you'll see the time set at 10 past 10

;)

Your wrong. The reason that watch advertisements display 10.50 is that the brand name is "framed" by the hands and puts emphasis on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

gumbo1 wrote: »
    Your wrong. The reason that watch advertisements display 10.50 is that the brand name is "framed" by the hands and puts emphasis on it.

I said 10:10 not 10:50

And it's really a number of reasons. The smiley face is definitely one and so is the framing with particular brands. And whatever about being "wrong" I still find it trivally interesting information that they're all set the same regardless of the reason but thanks for jumping down my throat for contributing anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

8-10 wrote: »
    I said 10:10 not 10:50

And it's really a number of reasons. The smiley face is definitely one and so is the framing with particular brands. And whatever about being "wrong" I still find it trivally interesting information that they're all set the same regardless of the reason but thanks for jumping down my throat for contributing anyway

I ment to type 10.10. My apologies if you felt that I was "jumping down you throat" as that was not my intention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Loosey lefty tighty righty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭HS3

Probably more suited to the 'really obvious things you just realised' thread, but if you search for a location in Google maps on your phone, hit the car icon, a lovely lady will direct you right to your destination!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

HS3 wrote: »
    Probably more suited to the 'really obvious things you just realised' thread, but if you search for a location in Google maps on your phone, hit the car icon, a lovely lady will direct you right to your destination!
    And the place names are great... Port Láirge =port lar-jee. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

This CJ de Mooi character who's in the news recently ... when I first heard his name I did a spit-take, since I understand a bit of Dutch, and it translates to "CJ the Pretty". Had to be fake, and sure enough, it turns out he's some bloke from Yorkshire who just happens to like Amsterdam. Though not as much, these days, as he used to, I imagine ... :eek:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Steve F wrote: »
    Yep...called a "cue dot"
    I give you the double cue dot! :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lh-ZnwOTrA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

MagicIRL wrote: »

I find this fitting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The Moon and Sun have virtually the same size in our sky, because the Sun is about 400 times wider than the Moon, but it's also about 400 times farther away. This allows for perfect total solar eclipses.

A spooky coincidence?
    Perhaps, or could just be a equilibrium terrestrial orbit (Unified Field Theory), 'reciprocal locks' and so on...

The Moon and Sun have virtually the same size in our sky, because the Sun is about 400 times wider than the Moon, but it's also about 400 times farther away. This allows for perfect total solar eclipses.

A spooky coincidence?
    Perhaps, or could just be a equilibrium terrestrial orbit (Unified Field Theory), 'reciprocal locks' and so on...

or maybe god designed it that way because eclipses are cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Some car adverts, notably Ford, feature cars with fictional registration numbers that are symmetrical about a vertical axis so that the video can be flipped horizontally to show either a LHD car driving on the right or vice versa, depending on where the ad is being shown. Something like WVM 808 for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Ted111 wrote: »

In Scotland? Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

When Croke Park is sold out approx 2% of the countries population is in there.

On All-Ireland Final day 1 of every 50 people in Ireland is in that stadium!

Advertisement