Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Bicycle Lock to buy - New to cycling and bike is cheap & cheeful

Options
  • 16-09-2016 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,766 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Just looking for what type of bicycle lock to buy. The bike is not great at all, however I don't fancy replacing it again and again! I'm only going about 10mins every morning\evening then catching a train.

I'll be attempting to lock it something like below:

397119.png

Anything out there of value? Should i buy two locks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Registered Users Posts: 16,766 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Thanks! meant to mention earlier, any of these available in walk in stores around Dublin? Kinda need one very soon. I've heard about Kryptonite but do the likes of Halford actually store them?

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

They say you should spend at least 10% of the value of your bike on a lock.
    So if your cheap and cheerful bike costs around €150 I'd go into your local bike shop and ask them if they have a U lock for about €20, 'Oxford' ones are priced something like that I think. For the most part they work out fine, although if someone really wants to they'll get your bike no matter what lock you use. If your bike is more expensive obviously spend more on it!
    Locking strategies like Lumen linked to above, and locking the bike in the right place are really really important.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Think any bike store should stock Kryptonite locks, though not the entire range.

Abus do great locks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

They say you should spend at least 10% of the value of your bike on a lock.
    So if your cheap and cheerful bike costs around €150 I'd go into your local bike shop and ask them if they have a U lock for about €20, 'Oxford' ones are priced something like that I think. For the most part they work out fine, although if someone really wants to they'll get your bike no matter what lock you use. If your bike is more expensive obviously spend more on it!
    Locking strategies like Lumen linked to above, and locking the bike in the right place are really really important.

All well and good, but i think you should also factor in the expenses associated with a bike theft..

1.depending on when/where the bike is stolen from, you may have to make your way home on foot, by Bus or taxi etc.

2. how long can you afford to be without your bike? if its stolen you'll incur bus fares etc.

I consider A descent lock as an investment.

• Advertisement

I'd consider a silver-standard lock the absolute minimum, even for a rubbish bike, for the reasons outlined by 07Lapierre.

Speaking of modified Sheldon strategies, this is nice and quick and secure, if you have two locks (and pitlocks securing the front wheel):

397126.jpg

Admittedly the bracket for the Kryptolok Series 2 helps keep it all up, so it mightn't work if you don't have something equivalent, but it keeps all the locks well away from the chain, while securing the frame twice (albeit indirectly in one case) and the rear wheel once.

Advertisement