Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matte red lipsticks - recommend!

Options
  • 16-09-2016 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

As a dedicated lover of a bold red lip I have been through several lots of brands and types of red "lippe, but rather got stuck in a rut recently, always using and wearing the same few (and falling out of love with them gradually). I decided to try MAC's ruby woo as the "classic" matte red, having usually worn more glossy lips before, and wanting something different, but I have to say, I *hated* it. The colour looked god awful on me (I know, I should know better, but so many people had recommended it...) and I hated how it went on and how it felt on. I'd still like something different to what I usually wear however, and I'd love to find a matte lipstick I actually like. So, can you good ladies of boards suggest any non-ruby woo super red matte lipsticks I should check out? I guess Charlotte tilbury has some good ones, that would suit pale skin and dark hair?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Urban decay brought out a huge range of new lipsticks recently I think it was the vice collection.
    I'm using bad blood which is a comfort matte and a very bold deep red and I love it! It lasts a decent amount of time and doesn't dry my lips out -
    http://m.debenhams.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10052_10001_123932059499_-1

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭TheIronyMaiden

NYX matte lipsticks are brilliant - either Perfect Red or Eden, they both look great. I bought a NYX pencil lip liner and completely fill in my lips with it before applying the lipstick and it seriously does not budge. Not drying at all either. Plus they're about 9 euro so not too expensive :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

I second the NYX matte lipstick recommendation. I've 3 or 4 of them and they're some of my favourite lipsticks.

Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet in Hot Pepper is my fave red matte liquid lipstick. Lovely and comfy to wear and lasts well.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

Rimmel has a nice couple of reds in their Kate Moss collection. Also Boots No.7 has a nice red too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

Thanks all for the suggestions. @gaga21, I have a couple of the Kate Moss ones and I've always been disappointed by them...but I bought them a couple of years ago, so maybe they've changed the formulation since then

I must check out the bourjois liquid lippie, I looove a liquid lipstick!

TheIronyMaiden, I've heard a few people say that about the filler/liner before the lipstick (I think Lisa Eldridge recommends this too?). I've been putting on a layer of Rimmel's provocalips underneath my lipstick and find it works wonders for staying power for some lipsticks, but not mac ones, which is a pain!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Oh and the max factor Marilyn Monroe range are great too. There's 4 and boots usually have them as 3 for 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

I love the Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencils. Really comfortable to wear and long-lasting. Cruella is one of my go-to reds but they have a couple of other red shades as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

OP, I like Wet 'n' Wild in 'Stoplight Red'. It's only about €3, so even if you buy it and don't like it, it won't break the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭numbernine

Definately try the No7 red lipstick, not too dear and is amazing and long lasting. Its my fave, not sure of the name but its the only true red one they have.

Also Mac russian red is gorgeous 100 times nicer than ruby woo and feels better too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Mac Russian red is amazing, youngblood in Vixen, Sleek in cherry..its a very deep red but sleek has bright reds that are equally as good, yves rocher in rouge sublime, Essence lipsticks are quite good too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I have a few lipsticks from Lipstick Queen, and the reds are gorgeous. I bought them in Space NK and they were pretty helpful in choosing the right reds. I got a dark, almost matte red and a lighter red with a slight sheen to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

I have a few matte lippies that I love! Can't remember names off, I have a tonne of reds, I'll have a look tonight at names and colours :)

Catrice have lovely ones and good staying power and fab prices!

I agree about NYX ones, for the price they are amazing! I would go to them over my MAC lippies any day.. I find Ruby Woo very drying!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I tried out a matte lipstick this week for the first time - Mac Relentlessly Red. I found that after a few hours it went patchy and flakey.
    I've since picked up a lip scrub. Would a lip primer help or is it just a gimmick?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I tried out a matte lipstick this week for the first time - Mac Relentlessly Red. I found that after a few hours it went patchy and flakey.
    I've since picked up a lip scrub. Would a lip primer help or is it just a gimmick?

The Mac Lip Primer is an absolute must with Mac mattes and any other dry mattes!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

The Mac Lip Primer is an absolute must with Mac mattes and any other dry mattes!
    I picked up the Penneys PS Pro lip primer today to see if that will make any difference.
    I'm not anywhere near a Mac counter :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I picked up the Penneys PS Pro lip primer today to see if that will make any difference.
    I'm not anywhere near a Mac counter :(

Try NYX or order Mac online? you can order from brown thomas

Advertisement