Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid Linux question

Options
  • 16-09-2016 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

I had a computer (windows) fail at work and I need files off it, the problem is it was a scsi drive and I could only find an old server (no OS) with a scsi controller. I downloaded puppy linux onto a bootable CD and got that running but I can't figure it out and I'm wondering if it's because it's on a CD.

All I want to do is move the "my documents" folder to our NAS (synology DS1515+).

I managed to get access to the NAS using the pup control panel and I'm ready to copy files across I just can't find the local hard drives. I've set the jumpers on the second hard drive so there's no conflict, the bios recognises it during bootup. I just don't know how to find the hard drives

I've gone through most options in drives in pupcontrol and none of them seem to find the hard drives.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

Did you try opening a console and navigating from there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

ScumLord wrote: »
    I had a computer (windows) fail at work and I need files off it, the problem is it was a scsi drive and I could only find an old server (no OS) with a scsi controller. I downloaded puppy linux onto a bootable CD and got that running but I can't figure it out and I'm wondering if it's because it's on a CD.

All I want to do is move the "my documents" folder to our NAS (synology DS1515+).

I managed to get access to the NAS using the pup control panel and I'm ready to copy files across I just can't find the local hard drives. I've set the jumpers on the second hard drive so there's no conflict, the bios recognises it during bootup. I just don't know how to find the hard drives

I've gone through most options in drives in pupcontrol and none of them seem to find the hard drives.
    I dont know pupcontrol. Open a terminal and type:

lsblk
    fdisk -l

then type the results here. Assuming your windows machine was using NTFS, you are looking for any reference to NTFS, but if you dont want to type it all in here, you can take a picture with your phone, and attach here.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Start with "sfdisk -l" to list the hard-disks the OS can "see". Post the output here - you'll then need to mount it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Used to be SCSI drives formatted one one type (brand) of controller might not work on another brand/Chipset.

That may or may not be an issue also.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I opened up "console" on the desktop, which started a thing called Roxterm. Typed in "sfdisk -l" and it says "command not found", same for "sfdisk" on it's own, and "lsblk". I found a few more terminal programs under utilities and had the same result.

• Advertisement

I opened up "console" on the desktop, which started a thing called Roxterm. Typed in "sfdisk -l" and it says "command not found", same for "sfdisk" on it's own, and "lsblk". I found a few more terminal programs under utilities and had the same result.

Right. How about plain ol' "fdisk -l"?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

try
    lsmod

When I type in "fdisk -l" and hit enter it just goes to the next line but nothing happens.

The standard puppy probably has all sorts left out of it to save space

this version has scsi afaik

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-slacko-6.3.2/

When I type in "fdisk -l" and hit enter it just goes to the next line but nothing happens.

If I were you I'd go and get a properly powerful live Linux like Knoppix.

• Advertisement

Oh good, it's not just me then. :D

I'll give Knoppix a try. Thanks all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

Oh good, it's not just me then. :D

I'll give Knoppix a try. Thanks all.

Oh no, not at all. That's the thing about Linux distros - there's one for everyone in the audience. Some, like certain Puppy distros, are like a decent electric saw with no blades. Others, like the Knoppix DVD, are like a full Snap-On cabinet and Autel diagnostic machine in your suburban up-and-over. We'll be here when you get booted. Happy hacking! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

ejabrod wrote: »

The first command given there is blkid which I suggested but the OP said he got "command not found". He's probably got a minimal distro or something.

Knoppix has been around forever and should have everything he needs.

edit: Plus we know how to use it.

Or we could put one together:

Scumlords-computer-failed-and-he-needed-get-files-off-it-but-the-problem-is-it-was-a-scsi-drive-and-all-he-could-find-was-an-old-server-with-a-scsi-controller-linux32.iso

and

Scumlords-computer-failed-and-he-needed-get-files-off-it-but-the-problem-is-it-was-a-scsi-drive-and-all-he-could-find-was-a-not-quite-as-old-server-with-a-scsi-controller-linuxPAE.iso

gctest50 wrote: »
    Or we could put one together:

Scumlords-computer-failed-and-he-needed-get-files-off-it-but-the-problem-is-it-was-a-scsi-drive-and-all-he-could-find-was-an-old-server-with-a-scsi-controller-linux32.iso

and

Scumlords-computer-failed-and-he-needed-get-files-off-it-but-the-problem-is-it-was-a-scsi-drive-and-all-he-could-find-was-a-not-quite-as-old-server-with-a-scsi-controller-linuxPAE.iso
    Oh, It's a much longer title than that. I've been trying to get these files for a week and I've just been going from problem to problem. Most my computers don't even have cd drives anymore so that was another one.

This seems to be the year of failure at work. Equipment we've been using for the past 15 years is just deciding that it's had enough and it's all happening at the same time.

Oh, It's a much longer title than that. I've been trying to get these files for a week and I've just been going from problem to problem. Most my computers don't even have cd drives anymore so that was another one...

I hear that. I've got several racks of 2U x86-64-compatible shit here with no optical drives in them. Because oh no, they don't break - you'll never need them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

jimgoose wrote: »
    I hear that. I've got several racks of 2U x86-64-compatible shit here with no optical drives in them. Because oh no, they don't break - you'll never need them!

I feel your pain, my USB DVD drive is a life saver!

Knoppix worked a treat. Could see the drives straight away, hooked up to the NAS without a bother. Started searching through the hard drive for the files I was looking for. Realised I've been working on the wrong PC for the past week. The scsi drives should have really been my first clue, but no, I had to get obsessed with the wrong detail entirely.

Still needed Knoppix to get the files as windows was borked. Took all of 5 minutes in the end.

Knoppix worked a treat. Could see the drives straight away, hooked up to the NAS without a bother. Started searching through the hard drive for the files I was looking for. Realised I've been working on the wrong PC for the past week. The scsi drives should have really been my first clue, but no, I had to get obsessed with the wrong detail entirely.

Still needed Knoppix to get the files as windows was borked. Took all of 5 minutes in the end.

Jolly good. Knoppix's NTFS support works nicely too, so that's another pain in the arse you could have run into but didn't.

• Advertisement
Advertisement