Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce Dublin: Gear for raceday etc

Options
  • 16-09-2016 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭

Gonna enter my first adventure type race next year and looks like the inaugural Gaeforce Dublin will be the one. I've done a few marathons & good bit of cycling so have the running & bike gear but wondering what else would be needed? Do people generally just go straight from to the run to the bike, no padded shorts etc and what else is worn/taken?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Enduro

It varies depending on lots of factors. The most important one is how competitive you want to be or can be (or not). That might determine shoe choices, and whether to change shoes.

Plenty of unknows yet in this race, since they haven't finalised the course yet when I last checked.

Personally I wouldn't be bothering with padded shorts for such a tiny cycle leg as the one on this race.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

Suppose I wouldn't be too competitive, I'd be just getting around & want to see what they're like

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Seeing as it is starting in tallaght and involves a reservoir kayak and climb to Kippure, the cycle will be out to bohernabreena and the run up kippure from castlekelly bridge or so. The cycle to the reservoir is uphill but short, that climb/walk from there though is a beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

event wrote: »
    Suppose I wouldn't be too competitive, I'd be just getting around & want to see what they're like

As Enduro says your choices boil down to overall race speed versus comfort.

Generally in these races if overall speed is your goal;
    You wear the one set of shoes and clothes for the duration of the event. So trail shoes, sprinters /triathlon shorts and a cycling jersey with pockets to hold the mandatory kit. Padded cycling shorts are not necessary.

If getting around and enjoying the experience is important;
    Assuming you already use clipped in cycling shoes I would use them and carry runners in a bag as the cycling will have steep sections.
    I don't think I would ever bother changing with changing socks, definitely not till after the hillrun either way.

But before the clothing the nutrition is important. These events are relatively short and as a result you are moving fast which burns energy and electrolytes quicker. Carry a few dioralytes in the jersey pocket to help dissipate the onset of cramp. You need less food than you think but staying hydrated and keeping the salt levels up are important.

best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Sounds like road bikes are out of the question reading the course profile, or is that marketing talk?

Seems to sound like mountain bike tyres will be required
    http://gaelforceevents.com/en/gaelforce-dublin-the-course

• Advertisement

The advantage of a little multi-sport race like this over doing a proper adventure race is that you know the course in advance, so you can go out and ride it advance to figure it out for yourself without needing to guess. Skill levels are likely to play a part in determining what bike will be fastest over the course. At a quick glance it looks like a few km of forest fire roads there. Gotta balance how well you can ride this and how likely a punture is (very much influenced by skill levels again) against the speed lost/gained on the much longer road sections.

But since you can check this out beforehand, you can answer that fairly definitively by trying it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Enduro wrote: »
    The advantage of a little multi-sport race like this over doing a proper adventure race is that you know the course in advance, so you can go out and ride it advance to figure it out for yourself without needing to guess. Skill levels are likely to play a part in determining what bike will be fastest over the course. At a quick glance it looks like a few km of forest fire roads there. Gotta balance how well you can ride this and how likely a punture is (very much influenced by skill levels again) against the speed lost/gained on the much longer road sections.

But since you can check this out beforehand, you can answer that fairly definitively by trying it out.
    Unfortunately not, the main bit I'd be worried about is private land, so I suspect it's fairly shoddy state....

"This hill has a maximum gradient of 11% and when you reach the end of the tarmac it goes onto a dirt road. Note this track is private land and access has been arranged by us for race day and at no other time is their access to it."

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Unfortunately not, the main bit I'd be worried about is private land, so I suspect it's fairly shoddy state....

"This hill has a maximum gradient of 11% and when you reach the end of the tarmac it goes onto a dirt road. Note this track is private land and access has been arranged by us for race day and at no other time is their access to it."

I suspect that section will be quite short if nothing else. Weather is another potential factor of course. Dry dirttrack and muddy dirttrack are very different propositions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Doing a quick google and using street view took me here.... assuming I have the right place it looks like a Coillte forestry track.
    Looks like about a 4Km trek through forestry roads

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2386393,-6.4095001,3a,53.2y,134.44h,80.58t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-YH0Oc0d38rToHn5fs9kmA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en-US

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Thinking about doing this now.......
    The hills are stiff enough on Horans lane and Cunard...
    Might go up and look at the private lands section and Ballinascorney wood to decide on wheels and tyres I dont fancy the additional cost to the entry fee to be honest as ill be walking the running parts so just taking part plus dont want to ruin my good bike...
    Cyclocross bike would be ideal i would imagine..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Hatcho

Don't suppose anyone who's scouted the route has determined if a road bike would make it? Don't fancy pedalling a full-sus around all those roads just for the sake of a bit of fire road! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Would the section you are taking about be any worse than the section to the Reek in Gaelforce West?

Hatcho wrote: »
    Don't suppose anyone who's scouted the route has determined if a road bike would make it? Don't fancy pedalling a full-sus around all those roads just for the sake of a bit of fire road! :eek:

I didnt get over this weekend...Ballinscorney wood is a trail road but the "private" section is an old road that was closed down some time ago so not sure the surface on it yet...chipped tarmacadam with loose chippings from what I have seen from the barrier...Not sure how long that section is even...
    As I cycle the road sections on a regular basis I wouldn't be using a mountain bike but depends if you are looking for a place or just taking part I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Check out the facebook page - they just put a q&a up Re the cycle. Sounds like some gravel bits and some steep tarmac climbs. Was planning to do it on my hybrid but I'd be a bit worried about getting a puncture now.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Bladeserver

Hi Gents, just had a quick look through your posts and was wondering as I have a road bike. Would I get different wheels for it or should I get the lend of a different style bike> Hybrid, Mountain etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Hi Gents, just had a quick look through your posts and was wondering as I have a road bike. Would I get different wheels for it or should I get the lend of a different style bike> Hybrid, Mountain etc?

Change the tyres.

Even going from a 23 to 28mm tyre will make a huge difference. I've gone the other way with my MTB and put slicks on it for AR and can happily power along at similar to my road bike speeds in more comfort.

Agreed on tyre choice.
    I'm looking at schwable marathons at present http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/schwalbe-marathon-plus-road-tyre-smart-guard/rp-prod24544
    ....a lot cheaper than continental gatorskins but still an option

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭fletch

Agreed on tyre choice.
    I looking at schwable marathons at present http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/schwalbe-marathon-plus-road-tyre-smart-guard/rp-prod24544
    ....a lot cheaper than continental gatorskins but still an option
    Fantastic tyre....I had 5 years of commuting ~140kms-160kms a week and not one puncture. They are heavy and difficult to mount on the rim but well worth it for the puncture resistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Bladeserver

Fantastic folks. Will pass this on to some of the guys in work. Should I go for the 28's?

Fantastic folks. Will pass this on to some of the guys in work. Should I go for the 28's?

See what your bike will take. If you have space go for 32 which you could run at a slightly lower pressure to give better grip on track or trail type stuff. Also a lot more comfortable on unsealed roads.

• Advertisement

Read a blog post last night and the recommendation for this course is a CX bike or MTB as there are a few tough sections of steep 15% road as well as the trail.

I'll find the link later. If this is the case I'd be going MTB with the Continental SpeedKing tyres that we used in 2016. Have a good range of gears as you are straight off the run into a climb. No recovery there on the bike.

sconhome wrote: »
    Read a blog post last night and the recommendation for this course is a CX bike or MTB as there are a few tough sections of steep 15% road as well as the trail.

I'll find the link later. If this is the case I'd be going MTB with the Continental SpeedKing tyres that we used in 2016. Have a good range of gears as you are straight off the run into a climb. No recovery there on the bike.

I went over it yesterday on a full sus.....
    The closed section is best described as an old bombed road leading into a field.
    You then have to cross the field which was very damp in patches...
    Forgot my phone but will bring it next week to throw up a few pictures.
    Still no clearer on what bike to choose in my mind.
    Plenty of gears will be needed as the hills are very steep....

The trade off between extra weight of the mtb against a racer with CX tyres maybe...i would prefer to be on a racer for the good road sections..

sconhome wrote: »

Here's the article:

[url]Http://gaelforceevents.com/en/q-a-on-the-gaelforce-dublin-cycle-route-with-the-cycle-superstore[/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

This will be my first adventure race. Just wondering what an average time is for finishing a race like this, is 4 hours about right ?

Anybody recce the run route for this? Have a gpx to share?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Everyone set?

People running with a bag? Might just wear light rain jacket

Whyner wrote: »

People running with a bag?
    No real need, just leave your drinks/nutrition on the bike. Carry what you need in the back pocket of a cycle jersey

fletch wrote: »
    No real need, just leave your drinks/nutrition on the bike. Carry what you need in the back pocket of a cycle jersey

Nice idea but my cycling jerseys are pretty tight fitting, you don't want to see that - especially without bibbed tights or you'd get a belly button in the eye. Weather is 6-7 degrees, warm enough

What are you bringing for the run? I think I should be ok without water. I'm expecting the run to be no longer than 90mins

Will probably grab a bottle for the kayak, no idea how long I'll be out there

Whyner wrote: »
    Nice idea but my cycling jerseys are pretty tight fitting, you don't want to see that - especially without bibbed tights or you'd get a belly button in the eye. Weather is 6-7 degrees, warm enough

What are you bringing for the run? I think I should be ok without water. I'm expecting the run to be no longer than 90mins

Will probably grab a bottle for the kayak, no idea how long I'll be out there
    I'll probably just bring one gel for the run...loads of time to be hydrated on the bike...kayak should take around 15mins. You might even be able to grab a quick drink from a bottle on your bike after the kayak (before the run) to save you carrying water while running.
    I'm making sure I'm well hydrated in the days before the race (drinking lots of water and one High5 Zero per day) as I think that's more important.

Everyone is different though so do what works for you.

• Advertisement

fletch wrote: »
    I'll probably just bring one gel for the run...loads of time to be hydrated on the bike...kayak should take around 15mins. You might even be able to grab a quick drink from a bottle on your bike after the kayak (before the run) to save you carrying water while running.
    I'm making sure I'm well hydrated in the days before the race (drinking lots of water and one High5 Zero per day) as I think that's more important.

Everyone is different though so do what works for you.

Perfect, I'll rob that plan, ta

Advertisement