Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland tickets,who got them in your place?

Options
  • 16-09-2016 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

Were they raffled among the sports teachers?
    Were they raffled among the whole staff or used to fundraise for sports etc?
    Was there nothing said about them?
    Were they given to a 'lick arse' on the quiet?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

In primary a school doesn't get an allocation. The (rather crappy corner of the Davin) tickets come to the county Cumann na mBunscol committee and teachers involved with Cumann na MBunscol can apply to buy one and will get it then if their names are drawn at the fixtures meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Raffle amongst teachers who do extra-curricular.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dg647

In our place there was a raffle between any staff member who expressed an interest. The people who got the hurling and football tickets don't take any GAA team, or any form of activities. I think these tickets should be given to teachers that take GAA teams, if none of them want it then open it up to the rest of the staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

No mention of them in our place. Presume the sports team coordinators got them. Wouldn't expect them myself as I'm not involved in sport in the school, just music

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Double post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Still not over it?

You know who'd be a great person to chat to about this? Michelle Mulhern.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I've never heard of this. Is this true of all schools or just those in the counties that are in the final?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Nice try Michelle Mulherin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭doc_17

Schools that enter teams into second level comps are allocated 2. And generally only Cumann na mBunscoil committee get an allocation. If they went to someone in our place who had no involvement in Gaelic, and were the Gaelic coaches were interested, I'd be livid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Generally they go to teachers who take sports teams in my school. If none of them are interested then it's an option for the rest of the staff. Last year our principal took them for himself (has no interest in GAA), but from what we understand didn't actually go to the match, but had bought them for someone outside the school. Teachers that took teams and also were from counties playing in final were livid. I have no idea how it played out this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

Openess,fairness and transparency is not alive in our schools.Corruption,collusion and the like is rife within the GAA (and I'm a huge lover ,coach and supporter of the games side of it) and the church as well as politics in Ireland.I will not sit back and watch this continue and will to post up instances of unfairness,such as the ticket fiasco distribution. And no I did not get a ticket nor sought one.Due to health issues I have not attended many games over the past year and would feel a fraud if I ended up at the All Ireland Finals.If everyone sits back and back corruption you end up with the mess we have at the monent.......ah sure leave it to someone else,it will be alright!

ethical wrote: »
    Openess,fairness and transparency is not alive in our schools.Corruption,collusion and the like is rife within the GAA (and I'm a huge lover ,coach and supporter of the games side of it) and the church as well as politics in Ireland.I will not sit back and watch this continue and will to post up instances of unfairness,such as the ticket fiasco distribution. And no I did not get a ticket nor sought one.Due to health issues I have not attended many games over the past year and would feel a fraud if I ended up at the All Ireland Finals.If everyone sits back and back corruption you end up with the mess we have at the monent.......ah sure leave it to someone else,it will be alright!

What ticket fiasco? There isn't a list of 20 posts here where people are grumbling about the tickets. But you are ranting about corruption. It isn't all cloak
    And dagger in every school when it comes to ticket distribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

I did not insinuate that it was 'cloak and dagger' in all schools re:ticket allocation.Great to hear there are fair,open ,decent,transparent school management out there.If there were more like them this would be a great little country to live in!

I did not insinuate that it was 'cloak and dagger' in all schools re:ticket allocation.Great to hear there are fair,open ,decent,transparent school management out there.If there were more like them this would be a great little country to live in!

Like the GAA championship, this thread is a back door to management bashing.

What corruption?!?! The vast vast majority of the tickets that go into schools go to the people involved in GAA. And that where they should go.
    Not to someone taking a soccer team, involved in Girls Active, musicals etc. That's the way it should be. And thankfully that's the way it is in our place.

doc_17 wrote: »
    What corruption?!?! The vast vast majority of the tickets that go into schools go to the people involved in GAA. And that where they should go.
    Not to someone taking a soccer team, involved in Girls Active, musicals etc. That's the way it should be. And thankfully that's the way it is in our place.

To be honest I don't have a problem with someone taking a soccer team or the musical getting the tickets either. If they are willing to put in many hours extra curricular after school with a group of students I don't see why they shouldn't be eligible. It's not like the tickets are free. The teacher(s) getting them still have to pay for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

To be honest I don't have a problem with someone taking a soccer team or the musical getting the tickets either. If they are willing to put in many hours extra curricular after school with a group of students I don't see why they shouldn't be eligible. It's not like the tickets are free. The teacher(s) getting them still have to pay for them.

I dunno, I wouldn't like to see it 'gifted' to the most ' involved ' teacher. Maybe a lottery.
    Or if there's no GAA teacher to give it to then it should go to a local club or charity.

Who cares anyway, it's nothing to do with education... It's more a matter/issue to be raised at GAA level.

Possibly. But the relevant bodies, such as the FAI, should be stepping up and rewarding those who promote their sport.

doc_17 wrote: »
    Possibly. But the relevant bodies, such as the FAI, should be stepping up and rewarding those who promote their sport.

The FAI are probably the least supportive organisation, IRFU the best and the GAA somewhere in between depending on the local club(s).

• Advertisement

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    I dunno, I wouldn't like to see it 'gifted' to the most ' involved ' teacher. Maybe a lottery.
    Or if there's no GAA teacher to give it to then it should go to a local club or charity.

Who cares anyway, it's nothing to do with education... It's more a matter/issue to be raised at GAA level.

I wouldn't have suggested that it be the 'most' involved teacher. Rather those that do extra curricular activities. No other extra curricular activities have an option on tickets or anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭clunked

I think I might have said this last year but we have an official policy. Firstly it's a school that would have a strong GAA presence.
    1.Tickets are first made available to teachers coaching GAA teams from competing counties if relevant.
    2. Tickets are made available to GAA coaches.
    3. Tickets are made available to those involved in sports coaching
    4. Teachers not involved in sports from competing counties.
    5. All other staff.
    6. If you take a ticket you must use it yourself.
    Can't be fairer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

clunked wrote: »
    I think I might have said this last year but we have an official policy. Firstly it's a school that would have a strong GAA presence.
    1.Tickets are first made available to teachers coaching GAA teams from competing counties if relevant.
    2. Tickets are made available to GAA coaches.
    3. Tickets are made available to those involved in sports coaching
    4. Teachers not involved in sports from competing counties.
    5. All other staff.
    6. If you take a ticket you must use it yourself.
    Can't be fairer.

Who gets sent the ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Our 'policy' would be similar to what clunked mentioned. I think it's the fairest system.

Our school has only a handful of teachers who get involved in every extra-curricular activity, but of course there's some uninvolved noses that are put out of joint when they realise they're not being considered for a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I've had this discussion with a teacher in another school before. He was of the opinion that they should only go to teachers who take GAA teams and, in some schools, that's probably how it should be.

However, in our school, we have no shortage of teachers taking GAA teams. In fact, in my opinion, we have too many GAA teams given that several of them are made up of players who never train for the school and just go out to get time out of class. Some of the teachers involved too, don't bother putting any training on and arrange matches during class time so, aside from setting work for the classes they miss, they don't really put much extra time into the GAA and make it more difficult for the rest of us to insist that you have to train if you want to play.

Now I could volunteer to take a GAA team too and I'm sure I'd be given one but it wouldn't increase the GAA participation in Gaelic games in the school (as far as I know, we couldn't realistically field any more GAA teams than we already do). What it would mean is that we'd field at least one fewer soccer team and/or increase the workload for the other teachers involved in soccer. There have been years where I was the only one involved in soccer so if I took a GAA team, it would probably have meant that there was no soccer in the school.

The same is true of several other sports in our school. Teachers could take a GAA team just to get their names in the hat but the school would suffer and the GAA wouldn't benefit, other than that it would weaken other sports. There would be no significant increase in GAA participation. There would just be a decrease in sports in general.

As for other associations promoting their own sports, yeah, fair enough. In theory. The thing is, firstly, the FAI doesn't have an annual showpiece for which there is huge demand for tickets. It is not difficult to get tickets for the FAI Cup final. Maybe they should offer tickets to schools but there's really no need because anyone who actually wants them has no trouble getting them. Same for internationals. They're rarely sold out and it's rare that it's difficult to get tickets for the matches that are sold out so there isn't much point in putting a system in place to offer tickets to schools because I suspect there simply wouldn't be much of an uptake. For what it's worth, we often get tickets for women's internationals.

Rugby might be a different story. I don't know. I don't care about rugby personally.

Anyway, my point is that I don't think that it makes sense for some schools to restrict the tickets to GAA coaches because it could potentially negatively affect the school as a whole. In other schools, it probably makes perfect sense (if there was a shortage of teachers willing to take GAA teams).

For the record, I've been given tickets through the school on three or four occasions. On only one of those occasions was I sitting beside someone else who actually worked in the school. At least I use the ticket myself if I get it. Why should any of my colleagues get a ticket, regardless of what sports they do or don't coach, if they're not going to use the ticket themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Again you are allocated them as an option to purchase them hence a school is actually buying them and gifting them to staff so as such, could be seen as benefit in kind. The school pays

Also, I only ask to be included in the draw if one of my two counties are involved (the school is in neither county) or if nobody has a particular interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

RealJohn wrote: »
    Also, I only ask to be included in the draw if one of my two counties are involved (the school is in neither county) or if nobody has a particular interest.

How many tickets would your school get? We'd only ever get a pair, but our school is tiny.

Notorious wrote: »
    How many tickets would your school get? We'd only ever get a pair, but our school is tiny.

That's all any school gets

• Advertisement

Yeah, we get two (per final).

A friend of mine working in an all girls school told me that they don't get any tickets for the men's matches because technically, women's GAA is separate. That doesn't seem fair to me (if true).

Advertisement