Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback on Feedback thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Jaysus Christ after 6 months all ye have is to make 2 forums private. Only reason they were brought up at all was cuz of awful admin carry on.

Ye couldn't even say "whoops sorry" when ye were blindingly wrong a few times I seen in there.

LoLth wrote: »
    Admittedly I dont think we ever thought to specifically update a feedback thread before, usually we just rolled the current state of things into our responses and took that to be the update process. So first thing we can change is how we provide updates and responses to feedback. On thread will be lost in the discussion, so maybe a "RESPONSE:" tag with a link to the thread being responded to?

You didn't have to think of it, its been asked for many MANY times. The first thing you guys could do is read feedback. That'd be a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I don't see the point in it myself. Instead of making it private just stop taking the piss. Someone is a rereg, grand, tell them they're a rereg and leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,349 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Making the public appeals processes private is a fine case of cherrypicking feedback conveniently. The state legal system is public for a reason. Very uncomfortable with the idea that there is no visible way to appeal bans, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

It might seem that way, but it's one of the few things the admin team have the ability to make a change to without having to call on developer resources.
    And when I say few think single digits on one hand.

As to transparency, the mods and cmods will continue to be the second safety net behind the other admin team members. The review/request process itself isn't changing we're just removing the voyeuristic aspect of it for the few that are indeed banned in error and to starve some of the re-regs with the only oxygen they are getting once banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I'm for making Prison private, but I'd leave Dispute Resolution public.

Starving reregs...how many do that? What do they do? If ye left them alone they probably post like normal.

I'd a great post in here other day about this. I wrote it so must have been great but it turned into a rant so who knows but it was deleted, fell foul of these new feedback keep on topic rules. More rules.

Taltos wrote: »
    It might seem that way, but it's one of the few things the admin team have the ability to make a change to without having to call on developer resources.

Mmm, what do admins actually do so?? Site DeV forum is lost cause, may aswell whisper into a tree.

Lots of people have asked what's actually wrong in that what's wrong with the site thread and never get a proper reply....maybe best is shut all these forums down since it seems no good can come from them??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Making Prison (and possibly DR) forum private only reduces transparency and will increase the dissatisfaction with perceived over zealous modding, there is no positive to it that I can see that will outweigh the general negative us v them attitude it will serve to entrench further in the mind set of many users.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The Prison forum has improved enormously since the recent feedback about 'riding' posters was taken on board. Leave it public.

Making it private now would be a very retrograde step, imo. Same for DR.

There may be a case for occasionally deleting posts and possibly closing a thread in these forums when personal information is disclosed. Go to PM in that rare scenario.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭The Wolverine

I think one of the benefits of having the prison forum visable is that it makes the admins accountable for their actions.

There was a phase when admins were very disrespectful/condescending to some of the banned members, including that whole quoting bible verses thing, and was only stopped because onlookers were able to highlight it to staff.

Yep says it far better than my post.

If they were like that when it was public I personally believe they will be worse when they have it to themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭The Wolverine

Making Prison (and possibly DR) forum private only reduces transparency and will increase the dissatisfaction with perceived over zealous modding, there is no positive to it that I can see that will outweigh the general negative us v them attitude it will serve to entrench further in the mind set of many users.

The positive is the admins will no longer have to worry about getting called out by regular users for acting the wanker to people in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,349 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

As to transparency, the mods and cmods will continue to be the second safety net behind the other admin team members. The review/request process itself isn't changing we're just removing the voyeuristic aspect of it for the few that are indeed banned in error and to starve some of the re-regs with the only oxygen they are getting once banned.

If that's one of the few things of the laundry list of things raised as issues that you can address, consider standing pat. And if the Admin team is currently unable to enact meaningful change because such powers rest solely with development / business resource employed by the company that's *the* ultimate problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Yeah, it has a certain smell of doing something for doing something's sake really.

dudara wrote: »
    The short answer to this is that Boards and DM are owned by the same owners. However, Boards is no longer part of DM.

What's the long answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Distilled Media & Schibsted Media Group joined to form Distilled SCH. They own Adverts.ie, donedeal.ie & daft.ie.

Some of the Distilled Media people are shareholders in Boards.ie along with a couple of others. That's pretty much it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    If that's one of the few things of the laundry list of things raised as issues that you can address, consider standing pat. And if the Admin team is currently unable to enact meaningful change because such powers rest solely with development / business resource employed by the company that's *the* ultimate problem.
    Exactly. For all the titles the volunteer moderation folks, from mods and yep up to admins have less and less say in how this site operates. Oh sure there is the odd platitude from on high passed down the ranks and the higher up the more platitudes one receives, but the transparency, dialogue and basic bloody leadership has long gone from Boards.ie.

This is NOT at the feet of admins. They get stick for it, but they're volunteers too and I'd bet the farm there's frustration there because of how things are all too rapidly panning out. Some have all but vanished. Others haven't been around in years outside of private forums.

TL;DR Sorry but unless those paid to guide and grow Boards.ie do their jobs and actually bloody engage, all us, members mods and admins who wanted to help this community should just change our titles to this;

<snipped image but leaving attachment>. LoLth: Wibbs, image was a little too large and risks a return to the days of lolcats which, while fun, were making feedback impossible for users to browse. leaving the attachment as it does not break any actual rules on content.

It would be far more accurate a description the way things have gone and are going over the last three years.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Distilled Media & Schibsted Media Group joined to form Distilled SCH. They own Adverts.ie, donedeal.ie & daft.ie.

Some of the Distilled Media people are shareholders in Boards.ie along with a couple of others. That's pretty much it.

Wait one. Who owns what now?

Only, but not only, slagging.

Not your ornery onager

Wibbs, you sound like you are moving to the dark side.

Welcome, welcome :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Wibbs wrote: »
    Exactly. For all the titles the volunteer moderation folks, from mods and yep up to admins have less and less say in how this site operates. Oh sure there is the odd platitude from on high passed down the ranks and the higher up the more platitudes one receives, but the transparency, dialogue and basic bloody leadership has long gone from Boards.ie.

This is NOT at the feet of admins. They get stick for it, but they're volunteers too and I'd bet the farm there's frustration there because of how things are all too rapidly panning out. Some have all but vanished. Others haven't been around in years outside of private forums.

TL;DR Sorry but unless those paid to guide and grow Boards.ie do their jobs and actually bloody engage, all us, members mods and admins who wanted to help this community should just change our titles to this;

<snipped>

It would be far more accurate a description the way things have gone and are going over the last three years.

Bit pointless bothering with feedback then.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm not Lb, I'm just increasingly frustrated and yes angry the way things are going after all the efforts and hard work of thousands of people across many many communities since the turn of this century. And it's being wasted. Some of the stuff that has happened is beyond a joke. And I'm not even close to being alone in thinking this way. I suppose it's the last vestiges of me really caring about this place and what it means and meant to so many people for so many years.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I'm not Lb,

but
    I'm just increasingly frustrated and yes angry the way things are going after all the efforts and hard work of thousands of people across many many communities since the turn of this century. And it's being wasted. Some of the stuff that has happened is beyond a joke. And I'm not even close to being alone in thinking this way. I suppose it's the last vestiges of me really caring about this place and what it means and meant to so many people for so many years.

You are.

Not sure if you've copped who I am yet, but you've had a go at me on these pages in the not too distant past for being one of the main people pointing those issues out, usually quite vociferously.

It was all borne of that same frustration, looking at where the site was headed, the direction it was being pushed.

I'm not trying to do a big "told you so" - but it's a bit much to read that paragraph from someone like you, who has personally harangued me for being "never happy".

I wasn't being contrary for the sake of contrariness, it was just so bleedin obvious to me what was happening, and nobody doing a damn thing to stop it.

And we are where we are now.

Those years of decisions, fudged launches, getting shills on board as advertisers - they all chipped away at what we had here eight, nine years ago - you well remember those nights in town when the community was at it's absolute height, everything was fun and light hearted, couples met, got married and had children - football teams were winning trophies in the name of Boards.ie.

The heart was ripped out of the place, slowly and painfully, and now look at the state of it. Cancer ridden and covered in black tar.

I don't even know if it's recoverable.

I still care deeply though, I still want this community to be vibrant again, to do what it did for me and many, many others like me.

kneemos wrote: »
    Bit pointless bothering with feedback then.

Your feedack is important to us.

Just because we ignore it doesn't mean we don't read it. Or vice-versa, or something.

Not your ornery onager

Maki-to-me (sorry for intentional spelling mistake) and other readers will know this:

Volunteer for fup all.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Welcome, welcome :D

So, what exactly is this Dark Side?

Is its purpose to bring Boards to its knees?
    Is it to raise Boards to new heights?

I'm genuinely intrigued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

So, what exactly is this Dark Side?

Is its purpose to bring Boards to its knees?
    Is it to raise Boards to new heights?

I'm genuinely intrigued.

It was a bleedin joke term, chill out.

It was meant in the sense that Wibbs in those last few posts is starting to sound like I was 3 or 4 years ago.

"bring boards to it's knees"

Dramatic much?

That kind of hyperbole, from an Admin, is hardly going to facilitate the kind of feedback this thread is looking for, now is it?

I've tried (and I think succeeded so far) to be more restrained than I usually am in threads like these, but two Admins have so far come at me with the heckles up.

This is not all as one sided as yiz would like to think, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Your "Safety net" is not good enough. I'm guessing that there's 200 - 300 "active" mods on this site and some 80-100 thousand active users left? Your plan is to cut the "eyes" on prison, and you claim that there will still be accountability. That's hogwash to be honest.

Do you not also find that the idea of limiting voyeurism on a medium like boards is a little ironic?

Could you set out, in plain English, the reasons for making the prison forum invisible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Indeed, modding was supposed to be one of the big concerns from a survey that was done, I don't think making it more private is what people meant.

For me the whole thing should be either open or private, not a mixture of both.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement