Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

legal right

Options
  • 16-09-2016 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a car from a garage 4 weeks ago it's a 07 Ford Focus and I have been having a problem with it starting, then this week it just cut out on me while I was driving. I rang the garage where I bought it and they gave me the name of the garage they use to fix cars so I brought it there. I got a piece of paper when buying it saying 3 months warranty parts and labour. The garage rang to say i needed a new ignition switch and it's not covered by warranty so it would cost me €93. I was ok with this and just wanted it fixed but 10 minutes ago I got a call saying the car isn't starting again since the ignition switch was changed and now the mechanic thinks it's the body control unit and it also isn't under warranty and will cost €530, surely I have some rights here I know the lad that sold it to me is going to deny knowing anything was wrong with the car when he sold it to me and the scrap of paper he wrote as a warranty he can pick and choose what parts are covered but I payed €4,000 for a car I only have 4 weeks and now I need over €600 more I cant afford this and dont know what to do. :(

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What exactly did it say on the paper? Was it three months warranty with "engine only"?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

I don't have the warranty with me it's in the glove compartment of the car and that's in the garage which is a half an hours drive away but my husband said he read it and he's nearly sure it says 3 months warranty parts and labour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

With the value involved and the purchase being so recent, contact the seller and have them arrange for the garage to carry out the repair. If they don't agree to honour the warranty, retrieve the warranty documentation, check the wording, and contact a solicitor. Don't delay on this. Give the seller a day to agree to your satisfaction and then escalate the matter.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

casio4 wrote: »
    I don't have the warranty with me it's in the glove compartment of the car and that's in the garage which is a half an hours drive away but my husband said he read it and he's nearly sure it says 3 months warranty parts and labour

Most dealers only give a limited warranty which only covers e.g. the engine, especially on a car that is nearly ten years old. You need to check the wording on the warranty

regardless of warranty do I not have consumers rights? I haven't had the car for long, 4 weeks is nothing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Is it a key less ignition focus?. I have an 07, would cut out while driving and the battery kept dying.

Turned out to be a common fault with the model where the fault was in the ignition barrel?? Ended up getting a normal barrel put in and that solved it. This was after replacing the battery and the alternator. At least the garage covered all the repair work tho.

regardless of warranty do I not have consumers rights? I haven't had the car for long, 4 weeks is nothing

Was it a main dealer, or a second hand dealer, or some fella selling cars out of his shed?

Stheno wrote: »
    Was it a main dealer, or a second hand dealer, or some fella selling cars out of his shed?

second hand dealer and yes it's the keyless ignition

You do have some rights but the dealer could argue the fault wasn't there when you bought the car.

You do have recourse to the small claims court

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

So, could be the same fault as I had. I was lucky in that the guy I bought mine off got the ford dealers to accept that it was a known fault with that model. He found plenty of info online and that other cars with the same issue had been fixed for free by ford. Took about a month of arguing before they agreed to do the work.

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    You do have some rights but the dealer could argue the fault wasn't there when you bought the car.

You do have recourse to the small claims court

2000 max at SCC

2000 max at SCC

That would pay for the current work and an ignition barrel :)

do I need a solicitor for SSC? as that would cost a fortune

do I need a solicitor for SSC? as that would cost a fortune

Not at all.

http://www.courts.ie/courts.ie/Library3.nsf/PageCurrentWebLookUpTopNav/Small%20Claims%20Procedure

€25 fee only

http://www.consumerhelp.ie/small-claims

Thank you all so much I'm going to ring the seller on Monday ask him one last time to cover the cost if he doesn't it's small claims court thank you for your comments and suggestions

Advertisement