Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord Insurance questions

Options
  • 16-09-2016 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

Time is coming to pay the big insurance premium and I have a few questions for worst case scenarios (small scale damage I have already dealt with in the past and they are a hassle but pretty straightforward). Hopefully some forum members can help.

My current liability insurance is pretty massive and maybe should be reduced for a 270sqm property in Dublin:
    Property Owners Liability 6.5M any one claim
    Employers Liability 13M any one claim
    Loss of Rent Receivable 25% of the buildings sum insured
    Theft or Malicious Damage by Tenant included
    Property Owners Liability (Injury & Damage)
    Water Damage included
    Perils Covered Fire, Lightning, Aircraft, Explosion, Earthquake, Riot and Civil Commotion, Storm or Flood, Escape of Water or Oil, Impact by Road or Rail Vehicle or Animal, Sprinkler Leakage, Theft or Attempted Theft, Subsidence Landslip or Heave, any Other Accident not specifically excluded. Cover is restricted to Fire, Lightning, Aircraft and Explosion on any unoccupied parts

Questions:
    1) As a landlord am I responsible if a tenant hurts himself in my property for no fault of my own? Unfortunately I had a couple of tenants tampering with the fire alarms (because they were smoking inside the room or burning stuff in the oven and fire alarm would go off!). What would happen in case of a fire with fire alarm tampered? It is hard to prove that tenant tampered with fire alarm. Would Property Owner liability insurance cover? Would I be responsible for any guests of the tenants?

2) All the contractors I hire are professionals, VAT registered and with their own professional insurance and all work is invoiced, I wonder if 13M employers liability is overdoing it.

3) Let s assume the worst and the damage is so serious that for health and safety reason no tenant can live anymore in the property. Am I legally responsible to lodge the tenants in alternative accommodation in such case? If yes for how long?

Any answer is appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

It might be worth while posting this on the legal issues board as well.

What you have quoted sounds more like a general business insurance policy. I'd consult an insurance broker to see if you have appropriate policies in place.

The issue of liability can be hard to determine. If the fire alarm is tampered with and you are not aware of it or should not be aware of it, then its hard to be liable. However, when you become aware of it, failure to repair the alarm may make you liable.

I'm not sure why you need employer liability insurance if you don't have employees. Contractors doing individual jobs for you are not employees.

I guess your requirements for provision of alternative accommodation would be covered in the lease. If it is not mentioned, I'm not aware of any statutory obligation you would have

Advertisement