Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part 4 lease after 4 years

Options
  • 16-09-2016 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have been in a property for 4 years. So up until now I had part 4 lease( I think.)
    I signed a 1 year lease 4 years ago and haven't heard from the landlord since.

What happens now can they make me sign a new 1 year lease if I want to stay?
    Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

jd83 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have been in a property for 4 years. So up until now I had part 4 lease( I think.)
    I signed a 1 year lease 4 years ago and haven't heard from the landlord since.

What happens now can they make me sign a new 1 year lease if I want to stay?
    Thanks for your help.

They can't make you do anything you don't want. Your not obliged to sign a 12 month lease. However as you are now within the first 6 months of your second part IV they can give you appropriate notice to leave without giving a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

They can't make you do anything you don't want. Your not obliged to sign a 12 month lease. However as you are now within the first 6 months of your second part IV they can give you appropriate notice to leave without giving a reason.

Thanks, So at the moment, if they ask me to sign a lease and I refuse they can end the tenancy but still have to give me the 112days notice to move out.

Also if they want to increase my rent do they still have to give me the 90 days notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Thanks, So at the moment, if they ask me to sign a lease and I refuse they can end the tenancy but still have to give me the 112days notice to move out.

Also if they want to increase my rent do they still have to give me the 90 days notice?

Yep, above is correct. Also can't review the rent for 2 years from the last review.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Threshold is saying that this a grey area that they cannot say 100% if a landlord has to give the 90 days notice for an increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Threshold is saying that this a grey area that they cannot say 100% if a landlord has to give the 90 days notice for an increase.

For a housing charity, Threshold give advice contrary to law so often it's not funny anymore. Yes it's 90 days notice. Someone answering correspondence for Threshold should know that without even needing to look it up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement