Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rear mech tooth capacity?

Options
  • 16-09-2016 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭

Anyone know how to determine the maximum size cassette I can use on a shimano short cage rear mech? Currently have either 25 or 27 lookin to switch to 32 for cx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Look up the Shimano Tech Doc's for the mech in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

lizzylad84 wrote: »
    Anyone know how to determine the maximum size cassette I can use on a shimano short cage rear mech? Currently have either 25 or 27 lookin to switch to 32 for cx

As said, http://si.shimano.com/ BUT it really depends on your rear hanger and stuff. I have seen people going on about using the B screws backwards to get a 12-30 used and others, like myself having no issues with just adding a 12-30.

Possibly trial and error experimentation is needed.

To be safe getting a GS rear mech is probably advisable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

As said, http://si.shimano.com/ BUT it really depends on your rear hanger and stuff. I have seen people going on about using the B screws backwards to get a 12-30 used and others, like myself having no issues with just adding a 12-30.

Possibly trial and error experimentation is needed.

To be safe getting a GS rear mech is probably advisable.

I once needed extra length on a B screw. It never dawned on me to put it in backwards. I sourced a longer screw elsewhere. Now that I know this, I am quite confident, that I will never again have the same need again.
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Threw a 11-32 on. Seems OK after a quick spin. Fingers crossed

Advertisement