Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hand in notice whilst pregnant?

Options
  • 16-09-2016 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi I am currently 14 weeks pregnant and in full time employment. I informed my managers I was pregnant at 4 weeks, as I have a physical job, involves heavy lifting, climbing ladders etc. they just told me to be careful, but had yet to do a risk assessment. About 3.5 weeks ago, I was found to have low iron levels and low blood pressure so was put on sick leave as I wasn't coping to well with tiredness sickness. Feeling much better, I discussed returning with my job and Doctor on the basis id have lighter work to do etc.. For last number of months my working hours had been 6-1 as opposed to a 6-2 shift.This was to accommodate collecting my 5 year old from school. I met with my HR manager on Tuesday and we agreed I'd start back Monday with my 6-1 shift and lighter work, I then informed my doctor who was happy to sign me fit again. At 8pm tonight, manager texts to say general manager has said I will be taking someone else's shift of this lighter role, so therefore must do a 6-2 shift to accommodate this. I've now just burst into tears and have had my IBS flare up from stress as its not Friday night and come Monday morning I've no one to collect my daughter at 1.30, let alone any other day. I'm ready to hand in my notice. This is just not worth the stress. If I hand in my notice will this affect me getting maternity benefit in March? I've worked full time in this company 1.5 years. Can I request health and safety leave as this is not suitable alternative work for me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If I hand in my notice will this affect me getting maternity benefit in March? I've worked full time in this company 1.5 years. Can I request health and safety leave as this is not suitable alternative work for me

Yes - you only get MatBen if you were working at the appropriate point (I think it's 4 weeks) before giving birth.

I'm not sure if you can request H&S leave or not.

But in the short term, your doctor has signed off going back on lighter duties and shorter hours. If they want to change this to lighter duties and standard hours, then this needs to be discussed with your doctor (who will likely take your side).

So on Monday you either go in at 6 and tell them you need to finish at 1 until your doctor agrees otherwise. Or call in sick and make a doctor's appointment for that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Yes - you only get MatBen if you were working at the appropriate point (I think it's 4 weeks) before giving birth.

I'm not sure if you can request H&S leave or not.

But in the short term, your doctor has signed off going back on lighter duties and shorter hours. If they want to change this to lighter duties and standard hours, then this needs to be discussed with your doctor (who will likely take your side).

So on Monday you either go in at 6 and tell them you need to finish at 1 until your doctor agrees otherwise. Or call in sick and make a doctor's appointment for that day.

A Doctor might recommend that you work lighter duties and shorter hours but cannot "sign you off them". The employer has to do a risk assessment and if there is another job that can be assigned then that is assigned. If there is no other job then the op, if she is unable to carry out her duties on health and safety grounds she may be signed off by the employer on H&S grounds but as far as I am aware, is not paid and must claim disability allowance. The employer does not have to discuss this with the Doctor.

Advertisement