Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple tv2

Options
  • 16-09-2016 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I have the Apple tv2 I've heard these go for more than the new 1s is this true ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

That was because these could be jail broken, and newer versions couldn't. So second hand these were selling for higher prices than the newer models.

The new Apple TV 4 is probably going to be more expensive though, and the ATV2 is getting old now so demand wouldn't be as high anymore I'd imagine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Is there any advantage to a jailbroken ATV2 now that you can get apps on the ATV4? Weren't people just jailbreaking to put Plex on it? Which I don't think is supported anymore anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Is there any advantage to a jailbroken ATV2 now that you can get apps on the ATV4? Weren't people just jailbreaking to put Plex on it? Which I don't think is supported anymore anyway.
    Think it was more XBMC that was the main pull, but with Kodi so popular on Android now I don't think having it on the Apple TV is that important anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭mailforkev

My ATV2 is hands down the best value item I've ever bought. Hundred quid and still pretty much in daily use after 6(?) years or so.

But it's now slow and old and unsupported. Even Kodi is stuck on an old version at this stage. AirPlay stopped working a few iOS updates ago too.

I've a Fire TV stick on my other tv that was also a good buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

mailforkev wrote: »
    My ATV2 is hands down the best value item I've ever bought. Hundred quid and still pretty much in daily use after 6(?) years or so.

But it's now slow and old and unsupported. Even Kodi is stuck on an old version at this stage. AirPlay stopped working a few iOS updates ago too.

I've a Fire TV stick on my other tv that was also a good buy.

I have an ATV4 but also have an ATV2 in the bedroom and used it for airplaying a match from my phone and it worked flawlessly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

[QUOTE=adox;101072171but also have an ATV2 in the bedroom and used it for airplaying a match from my phone and it worked flawlessly.[/QUOTE]

Is it an iphone? Airplay mirror to ATV vanished in IOS9...

I have my aTV2 a long time and its getting slow, I really only use to to stream from my NAS, so still ok

But the ATV$ seems to has apps that do that now like NASIFY

May change it..

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I have my aTV2 a long time and its getting slow, I really only use to to stream from my NAS, so still ok

May change it..

It did? Still working on mine iOS 9 and 10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭mailforkev

whiterebel wrote: »
    It did? Still working on mine iOS 9 and 10

Is your ATV jailbroken? Maybe I've only lost airplay because my box is stuck on an old OS due to jailbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

May change it..

Yeah it's an iPhone. AirPlay was never dropped for ATV2 as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Coleman316

Sorry if this question is off topic but can someone answer me something?

With Apple tv can you mirror an ipad or iphones screen? So could I mirror my sky go app from my phone onto a tv connected to Apple tv?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Coleman316 wrote: »
    Sorry if this question is off topic but can someone answer me something?

With Apple tv can you mirror an ipad or iphones screen? So could I mirror my sky go app from my phone onto a tv connected to Apple tv?
    you can mirror the screen, but when I was a Sky customer 2-3 years ago they specifically disabled mirroring in the Sky Go app. Might have changed now since Sky Q touts tablet watching as a main feature.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

mailforkev wrote: »
    Is your ATV jailbroken? Maybe I've only lost airplay because my box is stuck on an old OS due to jailbreaking.

No, not jailbroken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

i have a jail broken atv now only used for Netflix as I have an android box for connecting to my nas

Is their any reason to update or not update the atv2 and unjailbreak it as such
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

adox wrote: »
    Yeah it's an iPhone. AirPlay was never dropped for ATV2 as far as I know.

mine is JB, so, its a ios9 issue but only on JB ATV..

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Advertisement