Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Siemens alarm system recommendations

Options
  • 16-09-2016 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

Anyone got any recommendations for what type of Siemens system to go with for a newly built house. House is wired for 6 pirs nothing else.will have to go wireless for doors and windows. Also please pm me details of any reputable installers around tipperary area.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

House is wired for PiRs only?
    What sort of messing is that?
    You should be looking at perimeter protection with shock sensors and contacts. Unfortunately Siemens will not do this with wireless unless you use a third party receiver. I would recommend the GSD i1070 and add wireless inertia contacts on all accessible windows and doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭eoin.d

Electrician seemed to know what he was talking about at the time and said no need to wire doors and windows. Would I need contacts on every opening in a window or just one contact for each window?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

As a minimum you should cover all accessible openings with contacts that detect opening inertia sensor on every frame to detect forced entry. After that 1 or 2 PiRs in hall, landing areas.
    With pirs only your alarm is never going to activate untill after you an intruder has got in. The purpose of a good alarm is to prevent intrusion and detect attacks as early as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

eoin.d wrote: »
    Electrician seemed to know what he was talking about at the time and said no need to wire doors and windows. Would I need contacts on every opening in a window or just one contact for each window?

He's lazy. It's far easier to cable a few beams than each window and door.

Probably told you that you didn't need an external bell either as all they do is annoy people.

No he wired for an internal and external bell, keypad at front and back door. He said to use wireless contact and shock sensors.
    Koolkid would a siemens system not work with I have? I can't find anyone to put in a Gsd system.

• Advertisement

To use Siemens you would need to use a third party receiver and wireless sensors.
    If you give GSD a call they will put you in contact with qualified installers in your area.
    I have to agree with Fred here,this is just pure laziness on behalf of the electrician. You are getting the whole house wired for an alarm and then he says use wireless???
    Most would wire for all options available then you are covered either way. But because of of this laziness you choices are limited now.
    Unbelievable!!

I have 16 windows with 2 openings on each, 2 windows with 4 openings and 3 doors the electrician said it would be cheaper for me to go wireless, yes easier for him, either way that's what I have. I have rang Gsd a couple of times and am unable to get names of installers off them

Being cheaper and saving money doesn't make it right. Did he also tell you device for device wireless is about 3 times as much.
    Wired sensors and contacts will always give you more protection for your money.
    If you want PM me your contact details I'll get someone from GSD onto you.

In what way is the Gsd i1070 different to the i70. Can you use wired and wireless with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Putt it there

Why not use HKC panel and wireless sensors/contacts ? Despite the few posts saying otherwise the HKC wireless stuff is outstanding in my opinion . Cuts out all the 3rd party receiver stuff too . Dont get me wrong , nowt wrong with siemens but it seems to me the HKC stuff would suit you best .

• Advertisement

Putt it there will the hkc system not be dearer than gsd for self monitoring costs

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Putt it there

eoin.d wrote: »
    Putt it there will the hkc system not be dearer than gsd for self monitoring costs

If using sim a €5 top up every 5-6 months is all you'll need . Use meteor sim by the way if going down this route

Can I ask why meteor putt it there, where I am Vodafone is by far the best signal will this matter?
    Also if intruder gets in and pulls panel off the wall will the hkc system still alert me. Thanks

The GSD i1070 is wired and wireless. It also has a seperate keypad that would suit what's wired in your house.
    If you are using your broadband for self monitoring the GSD apps are free and usage is free. Poll fails are notified after as little as five minutes.
    With HKC using your broadband for self monitoring each app you download is €7.99.
    App usage is €60 per annum and poll fails are notified after 8 hours..

Advertisement