Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any Charmoise breeders out there?

• 16-09-2016 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Going to put the ram to about 100 ewe lambs this year for the first time.
    Have done a little research and think charmoise could be the answer.
    Was speaking to a breeder at the ploughing before about them but can't remember any details of were the farm is.
    Anybody anythoughts

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

We bought a few ewe lambs a good few yrs ago. I couldn't tell you where we got them. Generally they were awful. Got mastitis or died for no real reason. Saying all that we've one left she must be 7 or 8, a tiny little thing but has 2 lambs EVERY yr

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Sheepman1

Thanks @stantheman1979,
    Just want a ram to cover some ewe lambs.
    Was speaking to a woman at the ploughing that was promoting them last year and I see from the programme they'll be at this year again but can't find any contact details.
    I think see might of been from Tipperary, but that's a guess, does that ring any bells ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Only registered breeder is william hutchinson in kilkenny as far as i know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

rangler1 wrote: »
    No, William has Ile de France sheep and is the only breeder in the south.

The lady from Tipp with the Charmoise is Sarah something, her name just won't surface atm. She will be at the ploughing inTullamore and I will get her name for you there if someone else doesn't get it to you first.

If you're going to the ploughing, the stand number is 335, block 1, row 15 which is the sheep polytunnel, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

It's off thread I know but u mentioned it there. The sheep polytunnell!! It's a weak effort the amount of sheep showed at the ploughing every. A couple of the main breeds and a few crossbreed sheep shoved into a polytunnell. Each cattle breed has its own shed while I know this isn't feasible with sheep. It's still a bit disappointing the amount of sheep shown. Imo

• Advertisement

No, William has Ile de France sheep and is the only breeder in the south.

The lady from Tipp with the Charmoise is Sarah something, her name just won't surface atm. She will be at the ploughing inTullamore and I will get her name for you there if someone else doesn't get it to you first.

If you're going to the ploughing, the stand number is 335, block 1, row 15 which is the sheep polytunnel, I think.

Yes that's the woman!!!!
    Thanks that's great, but ideally I'd like a word with her before the ploughing.
    Yes saw the charmoise society coming up on the programme but can't get any contact details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,190 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Her name is Sarah Kehoe in Kilcash South tipp. if you want i can send you on her number

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Her name is Sarah Kehoe in Kilcash South tipp. if you want i can send you on her number
    Thanks David,
    Yes if u could, that would be great

Is there some way of private messaging u?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Sheepman1 wrote: »
    Is there some way of private messaging u?
    Click on his name and a drop down menu will show. Select 'send private message to....', enter a title in the box and go onto the bigger box to type your message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Seen a charmoise ram in ploughing today. Just a smaller charolais is it. Not impressed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Seen a charmoise ram in ploughing today. Just a smaller charolais is it. Not impressed

With a username like that hardly surprising.

I think you could be right though.

Says the Charolais fan.
    He's not meant to be be a Charolais.
    Don't know anything about them, just saw pictures on the internet. But all I want is a breed of sheep to put to some ewe lambs that will lamb outside on a bad day in early April with no or as little help from me as possible. I have been recommended everything from a beltex, Charolais.,lleyn, clun forest, kerry hill, Shetland. Haven't come to a decision yet but on paper the charmoise seems to tick all the boxes from ease of lambing to hardiness and also to have a half decent shape of a lamb to sell at the end of it.
    Sorry for the rant, don't take it to heart @charolais0153, love to hear everyone's opinion.
    I'll get a bit of a luck at him the marra meself all been well

Says the Charolais fan.
    He's not meant to be be a Charolais.
    Don't know anything about them, just saw pictures on the internet. But all I want is a breed of sheep to put to some ewe lambs that will lamb outside on a bad day in early April with no or as little help from me as possible. I have been recommended everything from a beltex, Charolais.,lleyn, clun forest, kerry hill, Shetland. Haven't come to a decision yet but on paper the charmoise seems to tick all the boxes from ease of lambing to hardiness and also to have a half decent shape of a lamb to sell at the end of it.
    Sorry for the rant, don't take it to heart @charolais0153, love to hear everyone's opinion.
    I'll get a bit of a luck at him the marra meself all been well

Charolais cattle

Lol. What are they like for ease of lambing. Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Lol. What are they like for ease of lambing. Lol

Never seen one myself, but a well known sheep guy down my way used to use them. I think they have small ears as well which helps the ease of lambing ?

Did you buy a charmoise in the end ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Future Farmer

We have used Charmoise on ewe lambs as a terminal sire. Small easy lambs. Worked well.

What are the ram's like to work with ? Are they a quiet enough breed ? Do the lambs out of them reach killing weights handy enough ? I suppose they'd be a direct competitor to the beltex ?

What are the ram's like to work with ? Are they a quiet enough breed ? Do the lambs out of them reach killing weights handy enough ? I suppose they'd be a direct competitor to the beltex ?

Found them easy to work with. Like a small pink Texel/Charolais. You'd probably want growthy enough ewe lambs to bring a bit of size. We lambed them out. They got up and got going. They are a terminal hill breed sheep, except they kill out well. They don't end up huge.

I have never had a Beltex ram but I would imagine that they take a lot more work than the Charmoise.

• Advertisement

Anyone be able to pm me the number of a breeder ? I might enquire further about em, thanks

These fellas should know someone

https://www.donedeal.ie/sheep-for-sale/charmoise-x-charolais-hogget-rams/16873849

https://www.donedeal.ie/sheep-for-sale/swaledale-suffolk-charmoise/16502257

I will ask my neighbour if it is ok to give you his number. Where are you based roughly? They do a lot of judging etc. they'll know someone...

Midwest, looking for something to put over lowland texel x ewes, lambing outside, that will lamb unassisted and don't need pulling. That's why I was thinking about the charmoise

Midwest, looking for something to put over lowland texel x ewes, lambing outside, that will lamb unassisted and don't need pulling. That's why I was thinking about the charmoise

Surely charrolais would be easier sourced or even vendeen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

I think you're being unrealistic, all the easy lambing breeds are the same but none of them will lamb jf breech, head back or the ewe is 'ringed', there's no magic breed and their management in the last month of pregnancy will be as important as breed

I think you're being unrealistic, all the easy lambing breeds are the same but none of them will lamb jf breech, head back or the ewe is 'ringed', there's no magic breed and their management in the last month of pregnancy will be as important as breed

Ya, think your right, but just trying to put as many right ingredients into the mix as I can to bring the number needing assistance down as low as possible. Flying solo here, and cannt be with them 24/7, so just giving them every chance I can. Been watching the ewes spitting out the lleyns over the last year or two is a joy to watch, so trying to stay along the same lines, but with a bit more meat in some of the lambs.

Ya, think your right, but just trying to put as many right ingredients into the mix as I can to bring the number needing assistance down as low as possible. Flying solo here, and cannt be with them 24/7, so just giving them every chance I can. Been watching the ewes spitting out the lleyns over the last year or two is a joy to watch, so trying to stay along the same lines, but with a bit more meat in some of the lambs.

Texel cross ewes...?

Texel cross ewes...?

Ya, not as bad as that sounds though, a lot of hilltex in them and cheviot / texel. their mature ewes, that are being phased out over a few years. Just want lambs for slaughter out of them. Building up a seperate Lleyn flock for replacements.

Advertisement