Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggested Adverts

Options
  • 16-09-2016 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭

OK so I'm aware that suggested adverts could relate to anything you have searched for, viewed etc. But I had the weirdest advert today and I just can't explain it.

Today on Facebook I had a suggested page of a software the I will have to learn to use in work (IBM Watson), thing is, I have know about it since may, but only decided this week that I would start reading the documentation. I've searched for IBM Watson in work on sites like Google and YouTube but back in May to find out what it was. I never log into these sites in work, plus I have never went onto Facebook in work. Ive certainly never searched on my home computer or phone for Watson. My work computer is completely separate to my person computers.

I just can't work out how they have got this link to Watson, it's to obscure to be a general IT suggested advert. It's almost bugging me at this stage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Welcome to the internet!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

degsie wrote: »
    Welcome to the internet!

OK I was expecting that and I'd be the first person to say, there's a link somewhere that your forgetting about, but honestly there is no link between work and personal.
    I'm on 6 month probation in work, not a chance I've been on Facebook or anything like it, I've no administration rights so can't even log into Google.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Have you put the company you work for/job title into your Facebook profile? That could be it! ;)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

yoyo wrote: »
    Have you put the company you work for/job title into your Facebook profile? That could be it! ;)

Nick

No but I probably put it into Google, yeah that could be it, would be a bit of a stretch to get to that software, but maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Facebook/Google/d'Internet is watching you type through your webcam, turning what it saw the right way up and then throwing ads at you. In other words....it's alive and taking over!!!

Or it could just be a complete fluke.

.......(or a combination of both - it is getting close to Halloween after all ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement