Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to go about find a 6 month internship as a student

Options
  • 17-09-2016 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

I'm a 3rd year student, in NCI, studying computing. I consider myself a web developer, as that is the career I plan on going into. I have to do a 6 month internship in semester 2, so from January 2017.

I have a professional CV (redone, and signed off by work placement co-ordinator), a portfolio of my projects, a updated Linkedin page, and a online portfolio. I know HTML5, CSS3, javascript, jQuery, bootstrap, and some Java and PHP.

The college places some openings up on their website, but I would like to find my own. Would the best way to this be to call/email agencies and firms, look online, or actually go into them and pitch your case.

Any advice, tips, or previous experiences will be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

If you're Dublin based, Tapadoo take on interns from UCC. Might be worth popping them an email? I know in my college years that the university careers dept. provided a full list of places that were taking interns.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Probably wasting your time with Agencies and recruiters. They make their commission from the salary that employees get paid.
    As an intern you will be on a low or no salary so they wont even try.

Find out what companies are in your local area/commutable distance.
    Companies which match your career ambitions/skillset.

Then start calling them and asking to speak to HR.
    You might not get far directly with HR but request an email address for them. Send them your CV and email describing what you can offer to the company and your requirement for an intern role for a college course. Request that this be forwarded to the relevant managers in the company.

Be prepared to make plenty of follow up calls to them.

Advertisement