Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chippers!

• 17-09-2016 9:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of chippers that use separate vats to make their chips. Some obviously cook meat and fish products in with the chips. Also on that note which chippers use non animal fat oil. I know McDonalds for example use a separate vat just for fries. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

https://www.yelp.ie/biz/mcguinness-take-away-dublin make a big play of having specific, vegetable oil fryers and offering vegan products.

Most standard chippers use beef fat as its the expected taste here. Its easy enough to tell by the outer texture of the chips if the staff don't know but that's an expensive and still slightly risky way of checking.

For cleanliness reasons pretty much every chip van in the world uses beef fat - it hardens when cold so doesn't splash when driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Dantonio

Not sure if there are chippers who strictly won't cook fish/sausages with chips. It would be difficult to do.

But some chippers do use rapeseed oil instead of the more traditional beef lard.

As a former vegan I'd probably advise giving chippers a miss if cross contamination is a concern.

Though I think your best bet would be to try Beshoff's, I'm told they use Rapeseed oil. I'd ask first and look for a very definite response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Dantonio wrote: »
    Not sure if there are chippers who strictly won't cook fish/sausages with chips. It would be difficult to do.

But some chippers do use rapeseed oil instead of the more traditional beef lard.

As a former vegan I'd probably advise giving chippers a miss if cross contamination is a concern.

Though I think your best bet would be to try Beshoff's, I'm told they use Rapeseed oil. I'd ask first and look for a very definite response.

Eh beshofffs definitely put there fish in with chips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

L1011 wrote: »
    For cleanliness reasons pretty much every chip van in the world uses beef fat - it hardens when cold so doesn't splash when driving.

Maybe in Ireland and the UK but not in Germany and France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

Terri26 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of chippers that use separate vats to make their chips. Some obviously cook meat and fish products in with the chips. Also on that note which chippers use non animal fat oil. I know McDonalds for example use a separate vat just for fries. Thanks!

For anyone in Kerry, Quinlan's Fish and Chips claim to use rapeseed oil in their fryers. While I don't know for sure, I see them use different fryers for their chips/onion rings and their fish.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Are you looking for somewhere that cooks Halal ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,102 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I know this isn't going to make me popular, but for health reasons, you probably should avoid food cooked commercially in vegetable oils as they tend to have low smoke points and are unstable and so break down producing cancer causing free radicals.

Saturated fats, particularly beef fat, are stable and tend to have higher smoke points and are much safer for cooking.

There are one two exceptions, refined Avocado oil has a higher smoke point than even beef fat and is what I use for high heat.

http://www.cavemandoctor.com/2012/05/27/checking-your-oil-the-definitive-guide-to-cooking-with-fat/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Level 5 Vegan

McGuiness' or whatever it's called on Camden street have a sign up saying they use a separate fryer for their vegan menu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

embraer170 wrote: »
    Maybe in Ireland and the UK but not in Germany and France.

They have chip vans in France and Germany?

Advertisement