Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT Management training?

Options
  • 17-09-2016 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I've worked in IT for several years, and recently landed a job as an IT Manager. Being a techie, can anyone reccommend a training course specifically for newbie IT Managers? Anything from a few days to a part-time diploma considered.
    TIA
    Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Tec Diver wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I've worked in IT for several years, and recently landed a job as an IT Manager. Being a techie, can anyone reccommend a training course specifically for newbie IT Managers? Anything from a few days to a part-time diploma considered.
    TIA
    Eoin

Have you a team of people to manage? There should be plenty of "How to be a manager" type training courses out there. I did one about 15 years ago as I found myself with a team to look after and while I had been an IT Manager of many years, I was the IT team. It was a 3 day job in a hotel in Naas, but they run these things all over the country. I think it was ran by the Irish Management Institute.

If it's not to manage a team, then I sort of just figured out the job as time went on (I suppose things were different back in the 90's). The only aspect of IT Management I found boring and tedious was budgeting - particularly with a shower of bean counters that did not like the word "contingency" :confused:. I mean, you can't draft a plan for next year's Cap-Ex and Op-Ex in April and foresee every change or development without some degree of wiggle room.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It wouldn't hurt to have a look at ITIL and PRINCE2 to see if they sound useful to you - ITIL is about service management in general and I have found it very useful (with the caveat that the courses can be useful but are most useful if you have also seen the ideas put into practice effectively), and PRINCE2 is about effective project management.

If you're managing a team of people, general people-management materials would also be a good idea, though I can't recommend any particular ones.

Fysh wrote: »
    It wouldn't hurt to have a look at ITIL and PRINCE2 to see if they sound useful to you - ITIL is about service management in general and I have found it very useful (with the caveat that the courses can be useful but are most useful if you have also seen the ideas put into practice effectively), and PRINCE2 is about effective project management.

If you're managing a team of people, general people-management materials would also be a good idea, though I can't recommend any particular ones.

I will have to throw in that ITIL is anathema to a techie. It is the most horrid, boring shyte that ever walked this earth. I have ITILF (cos I thought it might be a good thing to have) and I can guarantee I will not go any further, because I want to enjoy doing my job. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

Have you a team of people to manage? There should be plenty of "How to be a manager" type training courses out there. I did one about 15 years ago as I found myself with a team to look after and while I had been an IT Manager of many years, I was the IT team. It was a 3 day job in a hotel in Naas, but they run these things all over the country. I think it was ran by the Irish Management Institute.

If it's not to manage a team, then I sort of just figured out the job as time went on (I suppose things were different back in the 90's). The only aspect of IT Management I found boring and tedious was budgeting - particularly with a shower of bean counters that did not like the word "contingency" :confused:. I mean, you can't draft a plan for next year's Cap-Ex and Op-Ex in April and foresee every change or development without some degree of wiggle room.

Yes, I currently manage contractors to do the support role locally, but I hired a FTE who is starting soon and another who is starting shortly after. Looking to get approval for a Junior Support person too before end of year.
    I'll check out IMI, thanks.

I did the basic ITIL v3 a few years ago and I have a 2 day Scrum course booked next month.

• Advertisement

I will have to throw in that ITIL is anathema to a techie. It is the most horrid, boring shyte that ever walked this earth. I have ITILF (cos I thought it might be a good thing to have) and I can guarantee I will not go any further, because I want to enjoy doing my job. :eek:

Haha, agree on that!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm going to politely disagree, speaking as a techie :)

Badly-implemented ITIL is a nightmare. Well-implemented ITIL is only hated by the kind of techie who thinks that documentation, consistency of procedure, and properly managed change processes are obstacles to the job. I've worked with other techies who thought that technology rather than process was the solution to every problem and who thought that the place for technical documentation was in unmaintained ticket templates, and I have never found more dispiriting and frustrating work environments.

The key bit from my earlier post is seeing a good implementation of ITIL in action, because it helps relate the admittedly dry material to practical scenarios. A lot of it is obvious if you've worked in well-managed environments, but the number of badly-managed environments out there is staggering. Part of the reason it's resolutely not technical in its language is because the point is for the framework to also be applicable to everything else the business does, rather than having e.g. one change process for IT and another for business processes.

I'm going to politely disagree, speaking as a techie :)

Badly-implemented ITIL is a nightmare. Well-implemented ITIL is only hated by the kind of techie who thinks that documentation, consistency of procedure, and properly managed change processes are obstacles to the job. I've worked with other techies who thought that technology rather than process was the solution to every problem and who thought that the place for technical documentation was in unmaintained ticket templates, and I have never found more dispiriting and frustrating work environments.

The key bit from my earlier post is seeing a good implementation of ITIL in action, because it helps relate some of admittedly dry material to practical scenarios.

Don't get me wrong - I do agree that ITIL really helps getting stuff properly organised and well documented. I worked for about 4 years in an environment that was half ITILed and it was frustrating as hell, because the ITIL part worked well, but the other half was a complete mess and trying to get those involved to change was nigh on impossible - "Sure it's worked fine like this for 15 years, why should we change." :mad:

I was more referring to the material in the training being utterly soul destroying to go through. I just couldn't go through it for the Intermediate levels. I've changed direction in my life anyway, so I don't need to worry about ITIL no more.

Don't get me wrong - I do agree that ITIL really helps getting stuff properly organised and well documented. I worked for about 4 years in an environment that was half ITILed and it was frustrating as hell, because the ITIL part worked well, but the other half was a complete mess and trying to get those involved to change was nigh on impossible - "Sure it's worked fine like this for 15 years, why should we change." :mad:

I was more referring to the material in the training being utterly soul destroying to go through. I just couldn't go through it for the Intermediate levels. I've changed direction in my life anyway, so I don't need to worry about ITIL no more.

Oh yeah, the material is seriously dry - a good trainer-led course is worth it just for not having to wade through all of it by yourself.

I've only done Foundation Level myself (v2 about 10 years ago, then v3 5 years ago) and for practical purposes I think it's probably enough. Intermediate or beyond is overkill unless the whole organisation is seriously committed to the implementation.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,387 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It's turgid. I walked out after the first morning session.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

lawred2 wrote: »
    It's turgid. I walked out after the first morning session.

Your trainer must have been truly crap

• Registered Users Posts: 24,387 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Stheno wrote: »
    Your trainer must have been truly crap

Well the material doesn't help.

The biggest problem was that it was a glorious morning so I just headed home.. Went for a round of golf.

Had one of those life is too short moments..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

lawred2 wrote: »
    Well the material doesn't help.

The biggest problem was that it was a glorious morning so I just headed home.. Went for a round of golf.

Had one of those life is too short moments..

Fair enough
    @ IP if you've never had to deal with budgets before and now will there is a two day course called finance for non finance managers which might be useful

Oh yeah, the material is seriously dry - a good trainer-led course is worth it just for not having to wade through all of it by yourself.

I did mine on-line and after doing it reckoned that, yes, it probably would have been better if I had done it with some humans to ask questions of and get things clearer in my brain.

Fair enough
    @ IP if you've never had to deal with budgets before and now will there is a two day course called finance for non finance managers which might be useful

tumblr_m67euwQ4DN1rwjvx0o1_500_9097dd7363e8e28f81f10ccb300dd0f0.gif
    or the OP?

I'd been doing budgeting for 20 years and am pretty good at it (IMHO).

It's just a boring and tedious job, which is not helped by bean counters who I have to keep justifying why I need contingencies to suit their timelines, when the tech industry changes monthly, prices change weekly and stuff breaks down daily. :rolleyes::eek::confused:

tumblr_m67euwQ4DN1rwjvx0o1_500_9097dd7363e8e28f81f10ccb300dd0f0.gif
    or the OP?

I'd been doing budgeting for 20 years and am pretty good at it (IMHO).

It's just a boring and tedious job, which is not helped by bean counters who I have to keep justifying why I need contingencies to suit their timelines, when the tech industry changes monthly, prices change weekly and stuff breaks down daily. :rolleyes::eek::confused:

I meant the op :)

Fair enough

I had my own business before this job and did all the finance side myself, apart from payroll. I'm ok on the basics, but one day with a good trainer would be good.

Advertisement