Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where do you buy your dog food

• 17-09-2016 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

Hi I've been feeding my dog red mills leader sensitive and she's doing well on it.
    Thing is I've been buying 15kg for between €45 and €50 for the last while but now they've reduced the bags to 12kg but it's the same price.

I've been using petshoponline. Just wondering if there's any cheaper suppliers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

You probably won't find redmills cheaper anywhere really unless you try local petshops to find out if they have any demo days coming up with the company, they would usually have 10euro off vouchers on those days. Otherwise you could try the redmills engage? It's around 43euro for a 15kg and for sensitivities, though I wouldn't recommend it for any dog much bigger than 30kg as the kibble is quite small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Look for an "equivalent" on Zooplus or keep an eye for the demo days as mentioned above. I buy Engage (also by Redmills) from MaxiZoo when ever it's reduced and always stock up on the €10 off vouchers as they will let you use those alongside a sale.

Bosch Sensitive is a comparable food and €42 for 15kg (or two bags for €75).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

Thanks for the replies I appreciate them. Would the fact that rice is the highest content in both the red mills engage and the bosch sensitive be a problem ?

It really depends on your dog - I wouldn't be concerned as the differences are small (particularly as one list dehydrated lamb vs lamb meal).

Ok very good between the bosch sensitive and the red mills engage which would be the better or are they more or less the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

I get 30kg of https://markus-muehle.de/en/cold-pressed-dog-food/naturnah delivered to my front door for €70 from http://www.zooplus.ie.

In terms of quality of product, value for money and convenience I can't find a better deal anywhere.

Ok very good between the bosch sensitive and the red mills engage which would be the better or are they more or less the same

Which Engage? The Duck and Rice and Salmon and rice are much better quality than the chicken or beef varieties. The Bosch is grain free bar the rice so better in that term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Goldenwonders- if your dog doesn't have a problem with rice, then the rice won't be a problem. Most dogs do not, usually.

My dog has been on red mills engage duck and rice for about a year and did well on it. Haven't tried bosch so I cannot compare. You can get smaller bags, try with your dog, and see. Nothing wrong with switching between them intermittently either, if your dog tolerates both.

You can't really tell which one will be better for your dog without trying, since your dog won't be exactly the same as mine etc.

Thanks everyone ye've given me plenty food for thought

Just for comparison on the ingredients, here's the three side by side. Leader is the highest meat content, followed by the engage, but as you can see the leader probably has as much rice in it as the engage, but because it's a mix of brown and white rice they can be listed as two separate ingredients making it look like there is less rice than meat, when there is most likely more. Bosch and Engage probably have a similar amount of rice in it, but the engage has a higher meat content so I would be more inclined towards that one. You have to take amounts to feed into account as well though going by the weight of the dog because they're quite different so can mean the bags will last longer or less time than what you're feeding now.

Red Mills Leader Sensitive €48.95 for 12kg (Equipet)-
    Dehydrated Lamb (28%), Brown Rice, White Rice, Sunflower Oil, Potato Protein, Whole Linseed, Minerals, Alfalfa, Seaweed Meal, Hydrolysed Liver Protein, Yeast Extract, Chicory Inulin, Yucca Schidigera.

Red Mills Engage Duck €43 for 15kg (Equipet)-
    Rice, Dehydrated Duck Meat, Sunflower Oil, Dehulled Oats, Whole Linseed, Beet Pulp, Fishmeal, Chicken Gravy, Sodium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Mono-Dicalcium Phosphate, Yeast Extract, Chicory Extract, Chondroitin Sulphate, Glucosamine Hydrchloride
    Meat Content 26%

Bosch Sensitive €41.99 for 15kg (Zooplus)-
    Rice (37.5%), lamb meat meal (20%), dried potato, animal fat, dried beet pulp (desugared), rice protein, potato protein, linseeds, protein hydrolysate, peas, dried yeast (incl. 0.1% mannan oligosaccharides, 0.06% β-glucans), fish oil, cellulose fibres, sodium chloride, potassium chloride, green-lipped mussel extract (0.1%), dried chicory.

The switchover most food companies are doing from 15kg to 12kg really annoys me especially as the prices don't appear to change at all -_- it's a real pain if you've a large dog

• Advertisement

Just to note it takes more meat to make the same weight of meal vs dehydrated meat so yet another one to factor in!

Springwell wrote:
    Just to note it takes more meat to make the same weight of meal vs dehydrated meat so yet another one to factor in!

So are you saying there's more meat in the bosch. The more I learn the more confused I'm getting

So are you saying there's more meat in the bosch. The more I learn the more confused I'm getting

It's easy to get confused and the bottom line is what works for your dog is the right food. Basically, yes more meat by weight was used in manufacture of the Bosch lamb meal vs the Engage or Leader dehydrated lamb BUT the latter two have a higher % of meat so it's probably even between the three as to the amount of meat they contain.

Go with whatever you find convenient to buy (I like Zooplus because it gets delivered to my door, if you have a handy pet store then it might change things. I have to go out of my way to go to MaxiZoo or the like), what suits your dog and what suits your pocket.

allaboutdogfood.com is good place to get info

Springwell wrote:
    Go with whatever you find convenient to buy (I like Zooplus because it gets delivered to my door, if you have a handy pet store then it might change things. I have to go out of my way to go to MaxiZoo or the like), what suits your dog and what suits your pocket.

Springwell wrote:
    It's easy to get confused and the bottom line is what works for your dog is the right food. Basically, yes more meat by weight was used in manufacture of the Bosch lamb meal vs the Engage or Leader dehydrated lamb BUT the latter two have a higher % of meat so it's probably even between the three as to the amount of meat they contain.

Springwell wrote:
    allaboutdogfood.com is good place to get info

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Paullimerick

Hi all. Before all start I don't need it other than giving an opinion. I used red mill racer for a long time on hunting and trialing dogs. I now use a company called " nutts about pets" . I see no difference to be honest. Dogs are flying bit with fantastic coats. Check them out as they are very reasonable.

Hi all. Before all start I don't need it other than giving an opinion. I used red mill racer for a long time on hunting and trialing dogs. I now use a company called " nutts about pets" . I see no difference to be honest. Dogs are flying bit with fantastic coats. Check them out as they are very reasonable.

If the Ops dog has sensitivity issues then these foods would be very unlikely to suit her, it's pretty much impossible to tell what ingredients have actually gone into the food because they are listed very vaguely eg: meat and animal derivatives, 4% beef minimum. They only need to list a 4% minimum so there's no way of knowing what the rest of the meat is made up of so if the dog has an allergy/intolerance to chicken it could easily be in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Paullimerick

Sorry miss read it. Didn't realise the dog had sensitive skin issues. Apologies all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Just thought I put this out there a new Irish site :

http://fetchyourpetneeds.com/

Bought a good few things from them (usually buy on zooplus) I'm pretty happy with them.

Just thought I put it out there :)

Advertisement