Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backing up data

Options
  • 17-09-2016 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I am looking to back up my laptop , just all the photos , videos etc

Looking at my options it seems an external hard drive seems to be the way to go.

I am just looking for recommendations on a reliable model I should look out for.

Thanks
    Barr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Anyone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Take your pick, look at reviews on Amazon, there is no such thing as a 100% reliable HDD so its really up to yourself to find a capacity / price point that suits you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

3, 2, 1 rule. Have two copies "onsite" (hard disk drive / external drive) and one "offsite" (cloud storage - Microsoft OneDrive - Google Drive - Dropbox - etc).

http://lifehacker.com/5961216/why-you-should-have-more-than-one-backup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

me_irl wrote: »
    3, 2, 1 rule. Have two copies "onsite" (hard disk drive / external drive) and one "offsite" (cloud storage - Microsoft OneDrive - Google Drive - Dropbox - etc).

http://lifehacker.com/5961216/why-you-should-have-more-than-one-backup

+1 ... but keep at least one of the 3 disconnected from the Desktop/Laptop when not being backed up to (i.e. the external drives) ... nasty Ransomware usually goes and scrambles every file it can see.

OK - with the cloud providers you should be able to restore a previous version, but I've heard anecdotally that zepto (for instance) can screw with that and make recovery from the cloud difficult.

Advertisement