Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concern over future of St. Lukes Emergency Department

Options
  • 17-09-2016 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned here already but it appears that major trauma services at St. Lukes A&E are set to be downgraded according to a soon to be published HSE report.

This is yet another downgrade to healthcare in the south east region in addition to the recommendation in the Dr. Herity report that Heart Attack emergency care is removed from the region.

It says in the article that Mr. Harris is awaiting the publication of an expert report of the Trauma Steering Group.

As we all know from experience, Mr. Harris is likely to blindly accept the findings of the report.

What are your thoughts?

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/home/212041/alyward-raises-concerns-over-future-of-st--luke-s-emergency-department.html

Alyward raises concerns over future of St. Luke's Emergency Department

Fianna Fáil TD for Carlow - Kilkenny Bobby Aylward says he is concerned after the Minister for Health Simon Harris refused to commit to retaining vital services at St. Luke’s Hospital.

Deputy Aylward made the comments after raising the issue with Minister Harris through a Dáil parliamentary question.

“People in Kilkenny and right across the South-East are concerned about the possibility that services could be downgraded at St. Luke’s Hospital. The previous Fine Gael - Labour Government established the Trauma Steering Group to examine the configuration of emergency services across a number of hospitals. It’s been reported on a number of occasions that this group could recommend the downgrading of services at St. Luke’s,” said Deputy Aylward.

“I recently questioned Minister Harris on this issue in the Dáil. At the time I made it clear to the Minister that the availability of major trauma care needs to be maintained at the hospital. Unfortunately the reply I received from Minister Harris is non-committal and he has kicked the issue to touch by saying he has to await the publication of a report by the Trauma Steering Group.

“I firmly believe that the availability of major trauma care needs to be retained at the hospital. This is something which I will be monitoring closely over the coming months,” concluded Deputy Aylward.

Advertisement